COSMOS 2014 (Carl Sagan/NDT-R)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Anyone else amped for this?

NOTE: Full screen 1080p or gfto

I'm really pumped about this. I honestly thought it would never happen. The idea of Fox airing a primetime science mini series with NDT narrating just sounded too far fetched for me. I've been keeping tabs on the progress of this show for (what seems like) 4 years and I am very happy to see that it's actually going to happen.

My only complaint was that the score for the trailer was not as awe inspiring as I hoped it would be, but it's probably just personal taste.

Comments

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Looks great! Excited!

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    fox will do whatever McSeth wants!

aside from his involvement, im down for this

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    YO CSOMOS!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Neil deGrasse Tyson can do no wrong.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I'm a huge Sagan fan but I really couldn't tell what the fuck they were going for with that trailer; it was all over the place. Looked like something between Babylon 5 and a low-budget Baraka.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    I'm a huge Sagan fan but I really couldn't tell what the fuck they were going for with that trailer; it was all over the place. Looked like something between Babylon 5 and a low-budget Baraka.

Agreed...it definitely had a 'show up and throw up' vibe to it. I think they are trying to go for that modern grandiose smash cut style of teasing a envelope-pushing special effect movie but also show the different ways this mini series is going to get it's point across...via cartoon history lessons/highly localized examples of happenings on earth and then high level sweeping looks at the universe...but it really didn't tie together at all.

This was shown at Comi-Con I believe, so I assume they knew the majority of the audience would know exactly whats going on; due to their anticipating the release of this series.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Sucks.
    I hope not.

This will be on Fox with commercials? No thanks.

This is a popular science look at recent astrophysics science?
    Nova did that with NDT and Brian Greene 4-5 years ago. Without commercials.

There was zero science and a lot of fiction in that trailer.

Maybe I am guessing wrong about what this is all about.

LaserWolf said:

Maybe I am guessing wrong about what this is all about.

It's a remake of the original Cosmos mini-series (which was based off of the book The Cosmos by Carl Sagan). Here is a trailer for the OG:

Not sure what parts you thought were fiction. If you are referring to the fake space craft that pops up a few times, that's something from the original series. The OG series had the narrator (Carl Sagan) traveling around the Cosmos in a space craft...I think it's just a device used to draw certain people in and get a few points across.

The series itself will not be based on any fictions nor was the OG series and book.

• ppadilha said:

NDT for president 2020.

cashless said:
    ppadilha said:

NDT for president 2020.

I'd be cool if the President was just a Sagan Hologram...