Anyone know the story on the Schoolly D-Sat Night extended cd album?

djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
I remember seeing this ad way back, but then I never saw it being sold in stores unless it was super limited and
I just missed it. Shame, because I would have bought it for the bonus materials alone! :(
Traffic has released some great albums with extra goodies. Love the BDP comps.

http://www.trafficent.com/releases/oneSheets/teg_78502_schoolly_d_saturday_night!_the_album_deluxe_cd_teg.pdf

Comments

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    that link is bunk....

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    Oops copied it wrong. This should work

^^ never saw that before looks dope, I tried to cop this:

Get On Down: This unique package features two 7??? flexi-discs (one clear, one orange) in a gatefold package. Included on these flexis are the sounds of the famed Roland TR-909 drum machine; narration and explanations by the legendary Schoolly-D, one of the machine???s early masters in the mid-80s (who is interviewed in Beat Box); cuts by DJ 7L; and instrumental remakes of the drum tracks for Schoolly-D???s ???P.S.K. What Does It Mean???? and ???Gucci Time,??? programmed on the TR-909 by Joe himself??? [includes] a 20-page booklet created by Joe Mansfield featuring history of the TR-909, original advertisements about the machine, photos and technical specs. [The TR-909 is one of 75 classic drum machines featured in the Beat Box book, all from Mansfield???s personal collection]

at record store day, but my local record joint never received any copies....

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ^^ never saw that before looks dope, I tried to cop this:

Get On Down: This unique package features two 7??? flexi-discs (one clear, one orange) in a gatefold package. Included on these flexis are the sounds of the famed Roland TR-909 drum machine; narration and explanations by the legendary Schoolly-D, one of the machine???s early masters in the mid-80s (who is interviewed in Beat Box); cuts by DJ 7L; and instrumental remakes of the drum tracks for Schoolly-D???s ???P.S.K. What Does It Mean???? and ???Gucci Time,??? programmed on the TR-909 by Joe himself??? [includes] a 20-page booklet created by Joe Mansfield featuring history of the TR-909, original advertisements about the machine, photos and technical specs. [The TR-909 is one of 75 classic drum machines featured in the Beat Box book, all from Mansfield???s personal collection]

at record store day, but my local record joint never received any copies....

this sounds cool. did anybody here cop? how are they?

• djtopcatdjtopcat Seattle WA The 206 312 Posts
    So I keep hearing from different NYC heads that Sony for whatever reason blocked Traffic Entertainment from releasing the Saturday Night extended cd album?
    Not sure if it was over money or what?? but all I gotta say is FUCK SONY!! Those greedy motherfu****s just sit on these great classics forever until they rot in their vaults never seeing the light of day. Really a damn shame. :(

• I see that a new re-issue company FTG Hip Hop has Schoolly D - Saturday Night out for release:

http://www.funkytowngrooves.com/PRE-ORDER-CDs/58/Schoolly-D-Saturday-Night-!-The-Album-(2-x-CD-Deluxe-Edition)/3532

I've been following them on twitter recently and see that they released two Boogie Down Productions last year and have some new releases coming like The Beatnuts, Goodie Mob, Poor Righteous Teachers etc.

This could a new company that Sony are looking to use ??

I have the two BDP albums and it sounds good, think they have used the original master tapes so be interesting to see if they go the same way with Schoolly D.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Nothing to do with the Saturday Night LP but this Schoolly/Mekon/Rhytmes Digitales remix of Skool's Out recently made a welcome return to my turntable

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I got the 909 book with the 2 flexi discs and they're pretty dope. The book was ok, but the reason I grabbed it was because of the Schooly-D inst versions.

Dawhud said:
    I got the 909 book with the 2 flexi discs and they're pretty dope. The book was ok, but the reason I grabbed it was because of the Schooly-D inst versions.

finally was able to score a copy of this as well...i havent listened to it yet..

• DawhudDawhud 213 Posts
    I ripped the PSK inst. for a show. Shit's so dope.