Oscar Grant / Fruitvale Station / Wallace from The Wire

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Really happy to see him get shine.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2013/07/11/michael-b-jordan-of-fruitvale-station-hollywood-s-new-leading-man.html

"In The Wire???s first season, Jordan played Wallace, a sympathetic teen drug dealer for the Barksdale Organization who wants out of ???the game.??? The 16-year-old???s demise is arguably the most devastating moment in the series.

More than a decade after that fateful scene aired, Jordan is back as another tragic hero. In Fruitvale Station, he plays Oscar Grant, a 22-year-old who, in the early morning hours of New Year???s Day 2009, was fatally shot in the back while being restrained by white BART police officers at a transit station in Oakland, Calif. The incident was caught on video by cellphone-wielding passers-by and immediately went viral, inciting protests and riots.

Fruitvale Station, directed by Ryan Coogler, recreates the last day of Grant???s life, including the time he spent with his mother, Wanda (Oscar winner Octavia Spencer), girlfriend Sophina (Melonie Diaz), and infant daughter. And Jordan, who appears in virtually every scene of the film, delivers a riveting, devastating performance. The Hollywood Reporter likened him to ???a young Denzel Washington.???

  Comments


  • Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,451 Posts
    I read somewhere that he's being considered to play Spider-Man too. No word if Above The Law's doing the title track though.

  • LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,518 Posts
    Nice.

  • ppadilhappadilha 1,916 Posts
    I can't look at his face without feeling bummed out because of that scene from The Wire.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm excited to see how this does. Can't say I'm excited to see it. Even the fucking commercials gut me. Awesome that it's getting such a push.

    Fuck Mehserle forever.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    I'm seeing billboards for this everywhere, and I think it's an important film and it's great to see Wallace get some shine. That said, I agree with Jonny. I just...I feel like I need to focus on the positive these days and making things better any way I can. And this looks like the sort of thing that will unleash demons I don't want to let out of their cages right now.

  • Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    I'm definitely going to see it. Maybe twice.

  • bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I've skipped Wallace's death every time I've re-watched the show.
    It will totally depend on my mood with Fruitvale Station...and to a degree, how the Zimmerman trial ends up.
    I also feel like I need to see Jordan in something where he comes out on top...something to cleanse the palate.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I'm definitely going to see it. Maybe twice.

    To put it bluntly, I have too much pent-up aggression and unresolved anti-authority feelings. Watching this would put me in a place I don't want to be, and too close to the line where I can lose control. I will definitely watch it at some point, but right now is not a good time for me to do that.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    To put it bluntly, I have too much pent-up aggression and unresolved anti-authority feelings. Watching this would put me in a place I don't want to be, and too close to the line where I can lose control. I will definitely watch it at some point, but right now is not a good time for me to do that.

    Went down to the rocks to hide my face,
    The rocks cried out no hiding place.

    I know myself, sensei. That is one step. My life is composed of one step at a time. That is the secret of discipline. I think you understand, but have fallen off the path.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    Thymebomb13 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    To put it bluntly, I have too much pent-up aggression and unresolved anti-authority feelings. Watching this would put me in a place I don't want to be, and too close to the line where I can lose control. I will definitely watch it at some point, but right now is not a good time for me to do that.

    Went down to the rocks to hide my face,
    The rocks cried out no hiding place.

    I know myself, sensei. That is one step. My life is composed of one step at a time. That is the secret of discipline. I think you understand, but have fallen off the path.

    It wasn't meant as an insult, and I think I do understand. I just don't think it's possible to avoid this stuff.

    I don't think there is such a path.

    It is not possible to avoid the realities of our lives, but it is possible to ascribe to a philosophy that brings peace of mind and positivity to the world. I choose to do the latter. And honestly? I actually think you are a good man who feels that there needs to be a counterbalance to what you see people expressing on Soulstrut as a lax philosophy. But just between you and me? You and they are both right.

  • DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Thymebomb13 said:
    DB_Cooper said:
    I actually think you are a good man who feels that there needs to be a counterbalance to what you see people expressing on Soulstrut as a lax philosophy. But just between you and me? You and they are both right.

    Okay, but no group hug.

    Fair enough. If nothing else comes from this, I want you to know I respect your viewpoint.

  • edulusedulus 421 Posts
    i got over the wallace stuff after i watched him friday night lights. heard lots of good things about this movie, probably gonna try and see it this week.

  • rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    bassie said:
    I've skipped Wallace's death every time I've re-watched the show.
    .

    for me it's when Mike drops his little bro off with his aunt out in the county. I can't watch that shit.

  • motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    What the hell happened with this movie? Last week there were listings and times for it in the Bay Area and now they're gone???

  • Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    motown67 said:
    What the hell happened with this movie? Last week there were listings and times for it in the Bay Area and now they're gone???

    I see Metreon, grand lake in Oakland, California in Berkeley. That was for a search for 94080 (peninsula). That's weird. Nothing down this way. Is it limited release right now?

  • rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    motown67 said:
    What the hell happened with this movie? Last week there were listings and times for it in the Bay Area and now they're gone???

    I see Metreon, grand lake in Oakland, California in Berkeley. That was for a search for 94080 (peninsula). That's weird. Nothing down this way. Is it limited release right now?

    yes very limited release. it's only in certain locations in the Bay Area, LA and NY as far as I understand.

  • DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,787 Posts
    Side track for a moment.

    Anyone else watching this season of Luther with Idris Elba (Stringer Bell from The Wire)?

    If you like cop drama's with a dark side, check it out. Great show.

  • motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    Think it's getting wider release July 26
Sign In or Register to comment.