Ramon Morris - Sweet Sister Funk Og vs Reish

KidProcrassKidProcrass 107 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
Hi, couldnt think of a better place to get answers on this so hopefully you guys can help me out. Im looking at a copy of this gem and normally i should be able to tell by the aging on the cover but this one looks kinda old tbh. It also has the same cat# for both. Now one thing i did notice that i havent seen on any label scan i have been able to find online is "distributed by pip records, a division of pickwick international" at the bottom of the label where it normally says groove merchant etc. Am i looking at a reish or boot here or just some different pressing? Many thanks

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    1. If the record was made by Groove Merchant but it doesn't say Groove Merchant what do you think that means?

2. You should be able to Google Pickwick Records and find out what they were about.

• I was at work before so i couldnt include this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Groove Merchant is mentioned just not the same way i have seen before and according to wikipedia:

Groove Merchant
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Groove Merchant was an American jazz and R&B record label during the 1970s. It was run by producer Sonny Lester and distributed by Pickwick Records. Notable artists included Chick Corea, O'Donel Levy, Buddy Rich, Jimmy McGriff, and Lionel Hampton to name a few. Lester would later close Groove Merchant and restructure it as Lester Radio Corporation, or LRC, and have it distributed for a time by T.K. Records. Lester still retains the rights to the Groove Merchant/LRC back catalog and independently distributes them on compact disc.

Hence why i wasnt so quick to just rule it off as a boot or reish. Sorry if its a stupid question but i still dont see a definite answer.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Pickwick/Pip sometimes distributed legit first releases.
    Kool & The Gang on De-Lite for one.

Lots of labels didn't do their own distribution and have another label listed as the distributor.
    At the start CTI was distributed by A&M and at the end by Motwon. IIRC.

Don't ever remember seeing Pickwick on a Groove Merchant.

I see you did some research while I was writing.

I've never had a reish of Ramon Morris, nor do I currently have a copy.
    I can't say based on the photo.

Groove Merchant 525 is not distributed by Pickwick and does not have that warning fine print.

• Yeah the warning fine print kinda set off some red flags for me also. Seems like something you seldom see on records that age (you do see copyright warnings just not phrased how they are now). Guess i just really wanted it to be a score you know. Anyway thanks for the help guys insightful as always.