Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    For a second, I thought you were taking it back

• rootlesscosmo said:

great soundtrack.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    weird movie.

Like GOOD weird? I've been scrolling past that on Netflix for months now.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I didn't find anything weird about it... I saw this a couple of months back and absolutely loved it. My wife also found it to be incredibly entertaining. I'd even go as far as to call this one a future classic (nobody says "cult" classic anymore,right?). Sure it had some pretty exploitive moments but to me those never seemed forced. That jellyfish golden shower scene made me laugh so damn hard... Nicole Kidman... just unbelievable. Probably the best actress of our times and completely unafraid to do a movie like this. Not like she'd have to give a shit, she's just too good to have to worry about her career.

We watched this one last night:

and of course she was amazing in it but the movie itself felt really pretentious and the story made no sense at all.
    Beautifully shot though and the interior design of the house was totally mindblowing so all in all it was still really worth watching.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I totally agree with all that; still "weird." Kidman was great; Matthew Mac is always great; I've seen this, Magic Mike and Killer Joe all within the last month.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What's Magic Mike? I fell asleep during Killer Joe right at the beginning (must have sipped a bit too much mezcal that evening). My wife watched it all the way through though and said it was boring and predictable -which is the complete opposite of what everybody else told me about it -but still, so far no chance for a re-watch.

I still don't know how I feel about Killer Joe. That drumstick scene was just...weird.

Frank said:
    What's Magic Mike? I fell asleep during Killer Joe right at the beginning (must have sipped a bit too much mezcal that evening). My wife watched it all the way through though and said it was boring and predictable -which is the complete opposite of what everybody else told me about it -but still, so far no chance for a re-watch.

Magic Mike is kind of an infantile, formulaic love story by Steven Soderbergh. Very skippable but Matt Mac is good.

rootlesscosmo said:
    Frank said:

Magic Mike is kind of an infantile, formulaic love story by Steven Soderbergh. Very skippable but Matt Mac is good.

At the risk of being clowned, I really like that Channing Tatum dude. I like that he doesn't take himself too serious.

Herm said:
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Frank said:

At the risk of being clowned, I really like that Channing Tatum dude. I like that he doesn't take himself too serious.

oh I'm not bad at him at all.

But can you reall describe that movie as anything other than "an infantile, formulaic love story?"

Dude falls for his buddy's sister, who disapproves of his influence on her brother, but who ultimately falls for him nonetheless; meanwhile he's trying to escape the allure of his former life (complete with Svengali figure in Mcconaughey), trying to stack just enough chips to break free (and take the girl with him) in order to follow his true passion?

Not a lot of ground being broken here.

Oh, I agree completely.

Have you seen This Is The End?

haven't seen it; I heard McBride has all the funny parts.

It's hilarious. I was expecting to roll my eyes a lot but ended up laughing out loud plenty times...

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    McBride is a bad ass in that movie but I really enjoyed James Franco in it.

His meta-performance was hilarious. all the little quirks and weird shit that he does in that movie are awesome.

Grandfather said:
    McBride is a bad ass in that movie but I really enjoyed James Franco in it.

His meta-performance was hilarious. all the little quirks and weird shit that he does in that movie are awesome.

you ever see his Colbert appearance? pretty funny. those two idolize each other and it's kinda embarassingly obvious during the interview.

• this thraed rules.

every movie mentioned is on my list of "want-to-sees"

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

Thanks so much for bringing this movie to my attention, I would have never rented this out due to the musical-looking cover and I'm so glad I did. I thought Magic Mike was outrageously funny and yes, Matthew McConaughey was fucking amazing. The whole movie felt like a gritty, male version of Showgirls and I enjoyed the shit out of it. It could have been a bit shorter but it delivered.

Now this one here totally blew my mind:

Killer Joe on the other hand I thought was 100% shit. Crappy story and retardedly bad cinematography. When I watched the DVD specials and it was revealed that this was written as a stage play in the early 90s it all became crystal clear why a new movie could feel so outdated and irrelevant. I've heard about the "drumstick scene" before and didn't know what it was all about but phew, what a let-down. Like a highschool play attempting to channel Blue Velvet. F for Failure.

• Frank said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Thanks so much for bringing this movie to my attention, I would have never rented this out due to the musical-looking cover and I'm so glad I did. I thought Magic Mike was outrageously funny and yes, Matthew McConaughey was fucking amazing. The whole movie felt like a gritty, male version of Showgirls and I enjoyed the shit out of it. It could have been a bit shorter but it delivered.

Killer Joe on the other hand I thought was 100% shit. Crappy story and retardedly bad cinematography. When I watched the DVD specials and it was revealed that this was written as a stage play in the early 90s it all became crystal clear why a new movie could feel so outdated and irrelevant. I've heard about the "drumstick scene" before and didn't know what it was all about but phew, what a let-down. Like a highschool pay attempting to channel Blue Velvet. F for Failure.

c'mon for a major studio release the soundtrack ruled.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    Frank said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

Killer Joe on the other hand I thought was 100% shit. Crappy story and retardedly bad cinematography. When I watched the DVD specials and it was revealed that this was written as a stage play in the early 90s it all became crystal clear why a new movie could feel so outdated and irrelevant. I've heard about the "drumstick scene" before and didn't know what it was all about but phew, what a let-down. Like a highschool play attempting to channel Blue Velvet. F for Failure.

c'mon for a major studio release the soundtrack ruled.

Hm... I can't remember anything that stood out much except Clarence's Carter's "Strokin'" which I will always remember as the favorite tune of legendary NYC afterhours coke den owner Brownie and if I never have to hear that song again then it'll be too soon...

I would almost say that what ruined Killer Joe for me was that I had too high expectations but the whole thing was just too unforgivably stupid. I don't know... I generally dislike the "b-movie by design" idea but this one just felt like a bunch of squares trying to do something "twisted" and outrageous while revealing little else but the limitations of their own imagination.

You probably meant Paperboy which had a great soundtrack.

• nah I was talmbout Paperboy soundtrack.