I'm blown away - Summer Album of 2013

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
It's out now. I already posted the preview snippets and got chirped. Have to do it again.

From the positive reactions the new Omar album received around here I guess this shouldn't remain unheard. I had that album on repeat for the last few days and what a beauty it is. Top notch production, songwriting and musicianship. Strikes the right chords with me and warms me from inside. This will be the soundtrack for driving a car through catalan serpentines this summer.
Best late seventies Leon Ware-ish retro Modernsoul I ever heard.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    If this is your Summer album, are u sayin its better than Omar?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Robert Strauss, the guy behind this, is from Toronto. He worked at a bar I DJed at in the late 90s. Really nice guy, glad to see good things for him.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    batmon said:
    If this is your Summer album, are u sayin its better than Omar?

I think summer is still long enough to handle two albums. So far I have only skipped through Omars album, enough to say that it's really great. (While I had "The Man" on repeat for a while.) I'm sure, both albums get along together well.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Che, it's nice, but it's fluff.

Omar is complex, multi-layered, there's a real depth to the music that will bear fruit on the thousandth listen.
    It's autobiographical, soul-searching stuff in a way that resonates with your 40-something.
    The album you posted is very nice summer music, no doubt. But chiefly useful for switching off rather than on.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I like it, I'll pick it up.

I believe it to be better than fluff.

Omar > this, doe.

Not that the Omar set doesn't have a few skippers for me, but there is a human funk to his work that few ever capture in song.

Yeah it's fluffy and I like fluff, especially when it's warm and nice like these days. I'm pretty sure this won't stay with me forever and probably Omar is deeper and all that...allright with me. Didn't want to start a debate who's better. That "Personal Life" is just perfect right now and tomorow it might be over. That's the essence of popmusic and this album is popmusic in the best sense of the word.
    By the end of october I'll be back to deepness.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    "Blown away" by Fluff?

batmon said:
    "Blown away" by Fluff?

• NabozoNabozo 48 Posts
    Hello everyone,
    (I'm a young boy from Switzerland at the end of his studies, usually hanging with the RYM community, just passing by)

Didn't have too much time to explore the latest releases but currently my summer album is the delightful rap-electronic blend of Karol Conk??. Hope you share my enthusiasm if you got time to check it out!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    Nabozo said:
    Hello everyone,
    (I'm a young boy from Switzerland at the end of his studies, usually hanging with the RYM community, just passing by)

willkommen/accueil/benvenuto/[however you say it in romansch]

Didn't have too much time to explore the latest releases but currently my summer album is the delightful rap-electronic blend of Karol Conk??. Hope you share my enthusiasm if you got time to check it out!

awesome that you like Karol Conk??! She's a super nice person, glad to see she's making some waves outside Brazil. Some buddies of mine made this video with her last year:

I haven't heard her new album all the way through, but I can see it having some good summertime jams.

• GrandfatherGrandfather 2,303 Posts
    Someone posted her jam boa noite on here before and it was indeed bangin'

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Apologies Che

Listened again with a friend who had not a care in the eorld, and were FEELING it.

It's all about the mindset.