The first record played at Studio 54 was...

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited July 2013 in Strut Central
"Devil's Gun" by C.J. Company was the first record played at the opening of Studio 54 by DJ Richie Kaczor.

I got this in the dollar bin. What do you all think of this record? Good or Crap. I mean you can't diss the production.

Comments

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    I like the build up to the song and the chorus, but the rest is just okay to me.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    are there any mixes of richie k djing? i've read about him being the house dj at 54 but i never knew what the style was like. what did straight disco djing at one of the biggest clubs sound like? as opposed to say, what a pete flowers brought to the table, or any of the disco guys who were direct influences on the first wave of hiphop djs?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    54 was after Kool Herc.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    ah, ok. i just wonder about where the style of disco mixing was birthed. i know that the dj's in brooklyn, harlem,queens are credited with having some level of influence on certain hiphop dj's. but what about the other disco dj's who were working the bigger clubs in only a disco context?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    handmade_tortillas said:
    DJs in Harlem didn't like disco. it was a new sound and they were still playing traditional jazz.
    it wasn't until RUN DMC that the Harlem DJ's embraced the 2 and 2 beat and sold off their jazz collections to the white kids from Queens.

Nonsense.....my father held dances in Harlem before Studio 54, and Black Folks were dancin to all the hits.

It wasnt as "open" as the playlists of the Downtown scenes, but Discos existed uptown.

To think there were no Disco DJs in Harlem from late 60s till 82 is craz-talk.

How can WBLS and Frankie Crocker go Disco in the mid to late 70s and Harlem still be playing Jazz and shit.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    where does Larry Levan fit into this? Don't know anything about him really, other than that he was an influential DJ in NYC. Was he a disco DJ or something else completely?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    All the answers are here.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I expect a report on my desk by 9am.

• santanicsantanic 69 Posts
    nice thread homie-like hearing about djs way back when also,been fascinated with francis grasso one of the pioneers. Do you know what was in his crates? I know about whole lotta love blending into olunjuto's "jingo ba" and maybe some brian auger but what else is there? did he play "the break" from Katmandu, thanks any knowledge on this would be nice

• LaserWolf said:

^
    This is a good read. Heads will enjoy it...

• prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    LaserWolf said:

I expect a report on my desk by 9am.

Francis Grasso is the godfather of modern DJing as we know it.

The end.

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Just google the following names, plenty of information is available on the internet:

Francis Grasso, David Mancuso, Larry Levan, Walter Gibbons, Francois K., Danny Krivit, Tony Humphries, Jim Burgess, Nicky Siano, Hippie Torrales, Ron Hardy, Tee Scott, Bobby Guttadaro

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    dreskieboogie said:

I was just wondering what the last record played at the Garage was.

Anyone know?