Catalyst label - what else is good?

RishanRishan 454 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
i've got both Hadley Caliman lp's, Gary Bartz Ju Ju Man, Flip Nunez, Ahmad Jamal and Pat Britt. some of the others, Frank Strazzeri, Don Menza seem a bit too fast and fusiony for me, but i wonder about quite a few of the others. Henry Franklin, Albert Dailey, Mark Levine and Michael Howell seem like they could be interesting. which titles do you have, and which to recommend?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts

• BowlsBowls 28 Posts
    They put out a 2LP of the Michal Urbaniak Group's first two albums. Actually found that yesterday in the field. If you already own those on the original EU labels though, I guess it's worthless.

Jimmy Stewart - Fire Flower is my shit. Solo guitar with a couple funk cuts and a pretty good drum break. Check that one out for sure.

Co-sign on the Ahmad Jamal - Live at Oil Can Harry's and the Flip Nunez. "See You Later" is sublime!

• Those Michal Urbaniak records are great. I just discovered them about a year ago.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Bowls said:

Jimmy Stewart - Fire Flower is my shit. Solo guitar with a couple funk cuts and a pretty good drum break. Check that one out for sure.

Has great cover of Inside My Love.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    on catalyst, the jorge lopez ruiz amor buenos aires instrumental album version of the orig bronca buenos aires (trova) is def worth getting a hold of..

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    upskiboo said:
    on catalyst, the jorge lopez ruiz amor buenos aires instrumental album version of the orig bronca buenos aires (trova) is def worth getting a hold of..

didnt realise there was an instr version, will be after one of these, thanks

• uttersutters 321 Posts
    Sam Most did some good stuff on catalyst

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    chivo borraro is lovely, i hadn't seen that in the discography!

gaz, how is the henry franklin lp in your avatar? i've heard a couple from it...

• gazgaz 232 Posts
    Rishan said:
    chivo borraro is lovely, i hadn't seen that in the discography!

gaz, how is the henry franklin lp in your avatar? i've heard a couple from it...

Trtibal Dance, best album he's done very afro/spiritual better than his black jazz releases imo

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    I like the Frank Strazzeri~ After the Rain I need Frames if anyone gots.