"A Band Called Death" documentary

disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Anybody seen this? Must be a year ago when this was released but I didn't notice. Trailer looks promising.

(Don't know if this has already been dicussed but the search function didn't show me.)

Comments

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    I went to the Detroit premere about a week ago. It was nice. The band and many family members were in attendance. A brief Q&A and poster signing followed after.

As for the film, it is a bittersweet story. I wont spoil anything.
    My only criticism is that 10 or 15 minutes could have been edited out. Still worth the watch though.

• disco_chedisco_che 1,115 Posts
    Didn't realise that it was released just a moment ago. Perhaps there will be a chance it's coming to our cinemas then.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    disco_che said:
    Didn't realise that it was released just a moment ago. Perhaps there will be a chance it's coming to our cinemas then.

showtimes are posted here http://drafthousefilms.com/film/a-band-called-death

can't wait to see it!

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    It's on iTunes too.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    Yes, it's available on the movie site I linked to watch instantly for $12.99, which would likely benefit the filmmakers more than buying on iTunes. I'd prefer to watch it on the big screen if I had both options though.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Got my double secret members-only first-come-first-serve L.A. sneak preview reservation for Thursday night

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Saw it last night. Amazing story and even the few non-sequitors here and there managed to work. I agree it felt a little long but can't really say which parts....maybe the kids' band?
    As much about family as about music.
    Not to be too nitpicky - and I realize for movie distribution purposes, "punk" is the more recognizable term therefore more marketable - but they were more hardcore in their sound than punk imo. Anyway.

So....anyone seen Lambsbread live?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    bassie said:
    Not to be too nitpicky - and I realize for movie distribution purposes, "punk" is the more recognizable term therefore more marketable - but they were more hardcore in their sound than punk imo.

It's a short, slippery slope from one to the other. Since there wouldn't be hardcore without punk proper, I can live with Death being marketed as proto-punk - fine with me.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    saw it last month, recommended.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Wow...this doc is great.

• so good.

FYI, it is currently on Netflix instant