Has anyone seen the Fame Recording Studios doc?

johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I was surfing around and saw a torrent for a documentary film done in 1970, and shown on Swedish TV. Here's the description from the torrent:This is a "Documentary" about the Mecca of Southern Soul Music: FAME Recording Studios, in Muscle Shoals AL. Aired on Swedish televison once in 2001. Filmed at location in Spring of 1970, during the recording session of Willie Hightower's fabulous version of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". Interviews with founder Rick Hall and many of the musicians/the "Fame Gang". This DVD ISO is in NTSC Format.[/b]Is it worth checking out?

Comments

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I was surfing around and saw a torrent for a documentary film done in 1970, and shown on Swedish TV. Here's the description from the torrent:

This is a "Documentary" about the Mecca of Southern Soul Music: FAME Recording Studios, in Muscle Shoals AL. Aired on Swedish televison once in 2001. Filmed at location in Spring of 1970, during the recording session of Willie Hightower's fabulous version of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". Interviews with founder Rick Hall and many of the musicians/the "Fame Gang". This DVD ISO is in NTSC Format.[/b]

Is it worth checking out?

i havent seen it yet, but know people who have - supposedly it is a must for deep soul fans

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    I was surfing around and saw a torrent for a documentary film done in 1970, and shown on Swedish TV. Here's the description from the torrent:

This is a "Documentary" about the Mecca of Southern Soul Music: FAME Recording Studios, in Muscle Shoals AL. Aired on Swedish televison once in 2001. Filmed at location in Spring of 1970, during the recording session of Willie Hightower's fabulous version of "Walk A Mile In My Shoes". Interviews with founder Rick Hall and many of the musicians/the "Fame Gang". This DVD ISO is in NTSC Format.[/b]

Is it worth checking out?

i havent seen it yet, but know people who have - supposedly it is a must for deep soul fans

I may check it out. I'll do a search and see if there are any reviews anywhere.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    No. I want to see it, this is the first I heard of it.

I am currently listening to Otis Rush's Mourning In The Morning. Recorded at Fame, with the cross town Muscle Shoals Rhythm Session and those horn guys who recorded down there.

Mike Bloomfield and Nick Gravinetes produced it. The mix is not very good, occasionally annoying.

Duane Allman plays guitar as well, and the horn charts are good.

I love Fame and Muscle Shoals studios, not to mention Stax, Hi, and American.

Dan

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I am currently listening to Otis Rush's Mourning In The Morning. Recorded at Fame, with the cross town Muscle Shoals Rhythm Session and those horn guys who recorded down there.

Mike Bloomfield and Nick Gravinetes produced it. The mix is not very good, occasionally annoying.

Most hardcore Otis Rush fans don't dig this album, but it's really not too far off from the funky blues stuff on Stax (Albert King, Freddie Robinson, etc.). I don't like everything on Mourning In The Morning, but it's too good to write off altogether (especially "Can't Wait No Longer").

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts

Most hardcore Otis Rush fans don't dig this album, but it's really not too far off from the funky blues stuff on Stax (Albert King, Freddie Robinson, etc.). I don't like everything on Mourning In The Morning, but it's too good to write off altogether (especially "Can't Wait No Longer").

I hear you. I told the guy I was buying it from that I never really liked it. He told me to listen again, that it was great. He said the mix was terrible and that CD reissue is much better.

Most Chicago blues guys recorded with their touring bands, which was a good thing. So it's easy to listen to the studio group and think it doesn't sound like Otis.

I think if this had been produced by Muscle Shoals/Memphis producer, or an Atlantic producer it would have been better. I think the weak point is the 2 kids who produced it.

Any way a good record worth a listen.

Dan