metzitzah b'peh a/k/a "oral suction" (NRR)

2»

Comments

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    This is not something that most Jewish New Yorkers are likely to get exercised over.

cosign.

This sounds like the equivelent of christian based snake handlers.

So far every Jew thats chimed in on this has said this is the first they've heard of such a a practice; definitly not par for the course amongst my semites

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    This is not something that most Jewish New Yorkers are likely to get exercised over.

cosign.

So far every Jew thats chimed in on this has said this is the first they've heard of such a a practice; definitly not par for the course amongst my semites

It's clearly some fringe schitt--according to the VP of Agudath Israel, it's only performed about 2,000 times a year in NYC. The number of male births to Orthodox families greatly exceeds that, so it sounds like it's not that widely embraced.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts

cosign.

true, but that's not really the point.

it's not that everyone who is paying attention to this issue is in favor of this practice, they're against the government telling them how to practice their religion.

so, i think you will see alot of jewish new yorkers who are not particularly in favor of oral suction being against the government trying to regulate one's religious freedoms, which is the heart of the issue.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    Holy Shit! damn dude, use a baby wipe or something. Theres better ways to clean that shit.

ughhh...oh my god dude, thats just the nastiest thing ive ever heard. Where does it say anywhere that you gotta use your mouth?

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    Where does it say anywhere that you gotta use your mouth?

like a lot of orthodox religious practices (jewish and otherwise), it probably doesn't "say" it anywhere. it's just tradition that's developed over hundreds of years and is considered religious law (by some, in this case very few) at this point.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    Holy Shit! damn dude, use a baby wipe or something. Theres better ways to clean that shit.

ughhh...oh my god dude, thats just the nastiest thing ive ever heard. Where does it say anywhere that you gotta use your mouth?

What I really don't understand about people is the seeming lack of willingness to take a hard look at themselves and just think - myself included most likely, but I try to. I mean, "we do it because we've done it for hundreds of years"?

Not really the best rationale for a potentially dangerous practice.