June Finds 2013

indyindy 58 Posts
edited June 2013 in Strut Central
Hi,

here are the finds from today and the last couple weeks.

all fleamarket funk gems, not on some online boutique shopping tip. ;)
from the 1-4??? eurobin zone
For the last couple of years, you guys have been a fantastic inspiration by posting amazing stuff. Just wanted to use this space to thank you guys for dropping this knowledge. special shoutouts to JazzMadAss! &fishmongerfunk;
Most of your game seems to be way beyond mine, but keep in mind that the term EuroTrash derived from europe. its still mostly shitty records around here. so even more on the come up !

First Niemen !
The Aquarium Group record is described as the "white album of the USSR". says the internet.
The Berlin Record is one of the rarest on the AMIGA label. due to some StaSi politics bullshit it was pulled before it went into full distribution. nice funky side featuring Uschi Br??ning & G??nther Fischer

Goodfellas is a Boot, still nice to have. Even the whole internet is dickriding on DITC, feels nice to have & PLAY.

that Miles/Blakey record is SO NECESSARY.
Jaki Byard is a nice Italian only record.

Isaac Hayes has the poster included.

upgrading on the essentials. Viking Jazz Band is up for grabs, but i doubt anyone here loves him some rad ragtime ;)

First Mongo Santmaria record. i told you, this shit is hard to come by out here. except you pay major ?????????.

Sasha Brown is some private Hamburg boogie ish.

oh, yeah and then i found basically every bohannon record there is. lovin it !

contender for best record cover ever ?

personal FAV. just found out about the fact that George Carlin made a ton of records in his career last week. Today i found one.
Only the 2nd time ever, i found an English comedy album of interest. (other one being Pryor oc)

-edit: thanks tripledouble ;)

Comments

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    awesome post!!!

• leonleon 883 Posts
    Yesterday's thrift shop finds. A buck a piece. Doubles of the Irvin Rochlin Trio. The Swedish Punch (Sweden 1965 mono) is a project by Leonard Feather with top Swedish musicians.

• exte82exte82 202 Posts
     photo WP_000817_zps6fe92857.jpg

photo WP_000812_zps2087b826.jpg

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    awesome post!!!

I enjoyed as well, especially this part;

"says the Internet."

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    indy, you still need StopnGo! probly bohannons non-disco best.
    the finds look fun! how are the knef LPs? does she have anything approaching the stockwerk song?
    and hows the pink panther LP? return of pink panther obviously has that rare groove classic on it, but i dont recall ever listening to that one

and why do i know the name gunther fischer?

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    quick thrift picks from yesterday. de stunt has a nice weird trippy tune about lsd.
    june1

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    tripledouble said:
    why do i know the name gunther fischer?

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    June is starting really nice.. Found some good jazz on the cheap.

The Lateef record is a later pressing of "Eastern Sounds" which i ve been after forever. Still want an OG though.
    Top right is Hank Mobley - Caddy for Daddy. The Blue Notes are first pressings NM in shrink and sound amazing.
    Hubbard is sealed. Jimmy Smith is a dupe and up for grab.

finally found an OG of Roy Ayers for a good price. Been 10 years..
    Jef Gilson record rules!!

and some more baller-type s*it. No, i didnt find all of those for cheap in the field. Tatum, Tribe, Strata and 24 Karat are mailbox.
    Nathan davis was 5 euros though. Top right is SSO - Give a Damn with the cool "Faded Lady" track.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,885 Posts

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts

Dollar finds from the weekend.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    shooterali said:

you got the Jimmy Briscoe for a buck?
    wanna make a profit?

• I breezed through St. Louis and Kansas City last weekend. Hit some fleas. I've been buying mostly 45's for a while now, but I didn't see many. Here are a few of the LP's I found.
    Attached files

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,080 Posts
    Only one: Lamont Johnson Sextette "Aces". Kon & Amir comped the title track once.

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    Forced myself out to some local car boots today, expecting it to be record-free, was alright. Mostly 50p - ??1, Shalimar was ??2.

Edit... if anyone can tell me what the Ultraman / Japanese lp is called, most appreciated.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Some Kraut / prog records came through the local dig last week...

Thanks to Stein for African Blue and Lou Bond, dude delivers every time..... :feelin_it:

• hey indy, good to see you around these parts.
    last couple of months...

-that kenny cox in the top left is ill. had never heard him on rhodes before. propers to kon and amir for shining a light and generating some interest about these guys.

-"jurmana ost" is pretty tight. here is a decent quality rip i did of the best track "Nachoon Main Gau Tum"

DivShare File - Jurmaana - Nachoon Main Gao Tum.mp3

-lionel hampton - i think some might term this "tacky funk" but this is his best 'funky" record for my money and defintely the best thing he did on brunswick.
    -that latimore has the great, orginal verion of "let's straighten it out" but i have to say, when all is said and done, i prefer the ov wright version.

-frank foster "soul outing" is a standout (billy butler, richard davis, pat rebeillot, virgil jones)

-that catalyst record is bannanas.
    -sonny stitt must have recorded literally hundreds of records. these ones aren't all so great and certainly not peak era but i dig him.

-pete and sheila escovedo is a pretty cool late 70's fantasy latin fusion album produced by billy cobham
    -"the purpose of" on abc/bluestime. i need to give this a few more listens but not bad blues psychy stuff with some heavy drums.
    -arif mardin has one great original track but it's fairly brief and the rest is fairly unspectacular covers

-"live at puccini's !!
    -dick schoefield and the candians has 2 decent big band fusion tracks
    -"percussion profiles" is a dope ecm record. has 5 great percussionists (incl jack dejohnette) and george gruntz on rhodes

-"here come the jive ass motherfuckers" is the best name for a record i think i have ever heard.
    -ted dunbar is enjoyable. it's fairly common but worth picking up for cheap. has a piano-less version of his composition "two areas" that appears on some kenny barron muse record

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Charles Kynard is a good reason to dig Mainstream.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    shooterali said:

the Shade record is a cool Boston-area jazz record

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:

-"live at puccini's !!

Would you say there was a line to get up in there?

• shooteralishooterali 1,591 Posts
    Had a good day today with these finds.
    The Savanna silver Band, Black Feather & GEINO YAMASHIROGUMI OSOREZAN are from a trade I did recently .

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

Some stuff from the past few weeks. All $1 field finds.

Anyone got any info on that Alice, I Wonder lp in #1? Mid 80's dance punk funk produced by Mario Caldatto Jr. Ungooglable-related.

The Parliament iron on was in the Heatwave jacket! The Heatwave is a NM- upgrade. Such a solid LP!

Polyrock is some really great post-punk in the vein of Talking Heads that features Phillip Glass. A solid listen all the way thru.

• tokyobeatstokyobeats 505 Posts
    Ultra man translation is along the lines of " kids, come and check out all the superheroes"
    Hope that helps?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Clean Rivers for $1 is a pretty good deal.

• leon said:
    Yesterday's thrift shop finds. A buck a piece. Doubles of the Irvin Rochlin Trio. The Swedish Punch (Sweden 1965 mono) is a project by Leonard Feather with top Swedish musicians.

the Son Thomas is raer...

• bennyboybennyboy 538 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    Ultra man translation is along the lines of " kids, come and check out all the superheroes"
    Hope that helps?

Ha, thanks!

• hendravishendravis 689 Posts
    right on! soul hits

miles davis- bitches brew
    herbie hancock- sextant
    too $hort- $hort dog's in the house 2 copies both sealed, one the OG and one the promo version (radio friendly)
    too $hort- life is too short single
    nancy sinatra - how does that grab you
    lee dorsey- holy cow
    cannonball adderley- somethin' else
    Ann Sexton - Love Trails

not record related but 8 Steinbeck books, i was pretty happy to pick up.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    A few longtime wants and some cool finds from the last month

the quebec xian rock comp is highly recommended

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    ^ I'm still looking for that Gears LP (just have 2 of the 45's from it) & the Quarteto Em Cy. BTW, I think you may have approached me at the convention about a sale at Bleury vinyl bar (?). If so, when was it going down? Are you guys looking for sellers?

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    indeed it's going down on sat august 17th..beer food music and many DJs selling from their collection
    definetly looking for sellers so send me your info via PM however it's more of a 2 crate deal than a full table affair
    i'll have dope records priced to move

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    indeed it's going down on sat august 17th..beer food music and many DJs selling from their collection
    definetly looking for sellers so send me your info via PM however it's more of a 2 crate deal than a full table affair
    i'll have dope records priced to move