Spanish music for a restaurant. Any good ideas?

MurdockMurdock 542 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I'm helping to open a Spanish restaurant and am looking for some leads on authentic upbeat spanish music. Any ideas?

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Music from Spain

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Don't know much, but Rock Andaluz is where it's at.

Triana

http://rateyourmusic.com/list/Perello/rock_andaluz__listado_de_grupos_

Spain is a big place.
    Generally speaking, from my little knowledge, Rock Andaluz is associated with Seville/Andalusia.

If the restaurants focus is Catalan or Basque country, or some other region you might have to look for something else.
    Depending on how regionally authentic the restaurant is and how regionally authentic they want the music.

• fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
    i just had lunch at a nice indian place and they were playing adult contemporary and it worked just fine. i get that "authentic" or even sterotypical music from the region can add to the ambiance, but more often than not i find it kind of a hokey and old-fashioned appraoch.

i am not sure if this analogy works but as one strutteur once put it, i'd rather be a at halloween party with really great music rather than at a haloween party with music chosen becasue it is "spooky" or otherwise has an overt halloween theme.

p-funk is a very good soundtrack for eating.

Portland is filled with hipster ethnic restaurants that play hipster dinner music.
    So yeah.

If the owners are immigrants they might want nostalgia music.
    That is how I discovered Old Style guitar, which I really like.

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    crabmongerfunk said:
    i just had lunch at a nice indian place and they were playing adult contemporary and it worked just fine. i get that "authentic" or even sterotypical music from the region can add to the ambiance, but more often than not i find it kind of a hokey and old-fashioned appraoch.

Disagree completely. My favorite Pakistani spot blasts bhangra baets at volume 10. ;)

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    just play Gabor Szabo on constant rotation. There's nothing really spanish about it but the vaguely gypsyish exotica euro vibe will work well on a subliminal level