rap albums that were made with tape loops

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
i remember reading (wax po?) that epmd's first lp was made with tape loops instead of from a sampler. how many albums were made that way before sampling became dominant? i know i've read that with other albums of that period before marley's sound made the sampler popular. "no more of that dull dmx shit!"

Comments

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    The Beastie Boys did that on Licensed to Ill, though not the whole thing. They talked about how MCA made a gigantic tape loop of the Led Zeppelin drums that went all the way around his apartment.

• volumenvolumen 2,532 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    The Beastie Boys did that on Licensed to Ill, though not the whole thing. They talked about how MCA made a gigantic tape loop of the Led Zeppelin drums that went all the way around his apartment.

Same thing with the 1st Public Enemy LP. Loops across the studio around a mic stand and back. One of the crew had a brother that played drums they would then loop. Not to mention Vernon Reid on Sophisticated Bitch. Speking of bitches, FUCK SOZZY.

• I think Shocklee talks about it a bit in this interview.

At my desk and can't confirm right now, but either way I remember thinking it was a good listen.