Calgary, AB Canada

RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
edited May 2013 in Strut Central
I'm going there on business for a couple of days. Please to school me on this place... Records, weed, strip joints. Do tell.

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    We got it all, dawg.

Don't have time for a fully detailed response at the moment, but I'll break it down for ya shortly. When do you arrive?

I'll be happy to tour-guide you and buy the mighty RAJ a beer (or 50).

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    HOLLAFAME territory?

psyche

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    look these guys up for a good time
    edit
    also good to see pops got his swing back on.
    apres ski dudely

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    I was there briefly about 10 years ago. I remember going to one good record spot. Had aisles of records by genre. But I can't remember the name at all.

I do remember the highway system being very grid-like. It's odd the little details that stay with you about a place you visited a long time ago...

Hope you have a good visit!

Alright here's the deal.

There are actually a few record spots worth peeping here. The one BeatChemist mentioned is Recordland. This is a must-see. There are another 3-4 decent shops, including one who bought out the entire Calgary CBC vinyl archive. If you're around over the weekend, there are a couple of fleas with decent selections as well.

Weed/Hoes: we got that. Wouldn't get too excited about the rippers, though. NOT a treat.

The food and drink scene has been steadily evolving and there are some top-quality establishments that I can recommend.

I'll send you my contact info via PM so I can tailor my recommendations based on what exactly you are looking for. And, as I say, I'd be honoured to show you around.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Yes! Recordland!! Thanks Holler! It was pissing me off that I couldn't remember it.

That CBC scoop up would have been nice to get a crack at!!

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    Weed/Hoes: we got that.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    HOLLAFAME said:
    bought out the entire Calgary CBC vinyl archive

:face_melt:

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Raj, if your flying in on a sunny day you'll see a long mountain range about 100km away: that's where the action is. Take an extra day or two, rent a car and head west. If you're a skier/ boarder rip Sunshine or Lake Louise. If not If not just get your ass up to Lake of 10 mountains, or Lake O'hara, or Castle Mountain, or Assiniboine (bit more of an excursion), it's all there.

I wholeheartedly endorse a trip to the Majestic Rockies, time permitting.

Although, it's a tad late in the season for skiing/riding.