Selling everything and traveling.

edited May 2013 in Strut Central
Fuck it, I'm selling the home studio and vinyls i think.

Every elder i talk to says travel when your young, well i missed that so maybe i should try now.

Where would you go first?

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    I say donate them instead. Check your PMs.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,896 Posts
    I work at a University and I'm always telling the youth to see the world once they graduate. I wish I did a lot more when I was younger. I get that it's not for everyone, but if you have that yearning to travel it's a really huge eye opening experience.

I've probably done 20-25 countries and I feel like I've only experienced 5% of what I'd like to see on the planet.

• GatorToofGatorToof 582 Posts
    Ofcourse, the big fish will be on the prowl for buyouts.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    i have friends who wanted to travel the world for one year but came home broke after only 6 months. They were quite disappointed and went back to studying or working. One reason was that traveling the world is quite exhausting. they also had some issues with other travelers and one gun in their face coincidence in south america. a big disappointment was that they felt like tourists everywhere and mostly talked to other tourists during their short stays.

personally, i think living abroad is much better than traveling.

• handmade_tortillas said:
    fresh blueberries: have you been to china? I know its communist, but I heard that bangkok and hongkong are nice places to visit.

My cousin lives in Hong Kong. She teaches like slang english to kids .

Like, her class will go bowling and she shows them how americans "kick it" socially.

its a top destination

• Grope said:
    i have friends who wanted to travel the world for one year but came home broke after only 6 months. They were quite disappointed and went back to studying or working. One reason was that traveling the world is quite exhausting. they also had some issues with other travelers and one gun in their face coincidence in south america. a big disappointment was that they felt like tourists everywhere and mostly talked to other tourists during their short stays.

I don't understand this at all

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts
    You need a MO when you travel, set clear goals and an ending: what are your intrests, what do you want to do & see. Accept that some places are inpenetrable. Throwing money at every obstacle you encounter will often make matters worse. The last 15 years the world has become more accessible to complete idiots.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Grope said:

Yeah. No offense, Grope, but your friends really suck at traveling.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    This thread hits home. I've never taken time to go travelling properly. Since university I've been stuck in work/training while my friends have had short term or part time jobs and then gone off to see the world. I may have a few (very few) more quid but have had significantly less fun and feel like I've missed out on a lot. Now I'm at another junction, either to commit to another year of work or say fuck it and go to seek my fortune.

For me a big decider would be having somebody to go with. Do you have a travel buddy or girlfriend for the trip? A friend of mine went to America-Mexico-Belize earlier in the year on his own and had the best time - I don't think that would work for me because I'm not the type to really put myself out there.

• toby.dtoby.d 254 Posts
    Oh yeah another +1 for Hong Kong, went in Feb to visit a mate who's also "teaching" English. Probably the best place I've ever been, do it.

• youngEINSTEINyoungEINSTEIN 2,443 Posts
    i would say if you've got a bug to do this you should indeed go for it!

the type of people i meet that i'm most fascinated by all share the experience of traveling/living abroad while they were young. i think this is an imperative thing that needs to take place while you're a kid and if i'm lucky enough to have kids i will most certainly travel with them.
    unfortunately for me i was not able to do this and didn't get to travel until i was 29. i've been fortunate enough to visit 40 countries so far and can't really say if it's made me smarter or more understanding but the main benefit has been making some great friendships including many
    people from this very website.

peace, stein. . .

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    I've been thinking about this too. I've got a steady job and an apartement now that I've finished school, but I have this desire to just leave it all for a while. Maybe not for a year or so, I'd probably have to put myself on a tight budget to save up the cash, but it would be pretty cool. My thing too is that I don't really have anyone to travel with and I don't see myself as someone who goes travelling alone. I've thought about studying abroad (learning a language maybe?) or working for an organisation or something. That'd be pretty cool. I'm from Sweden and I've mostly been in Europe, but I've visited the US and India and I'd love to travel more. What little I saw of India was pretty mindblowing...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Travelling alone is the best. You do what you want, when you want, for as long as you want, as many times as you want.
    (Road trips are different as it is mostly about the drive and therefore a different dynamic)

You end up meeting more people this way, too.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Grope said:

well, i was trying to say that it is very expensive to travel and i would rather work abroad for some time. i couldn't imagine to sell all my records for traveling the world. i miss traveling and i think i'd do better than my friends with the money but i think they were still well prepared and ended up being a little disappointed.

are we talking traveling the world or vacation?

i would just prefer to keep my stuff and work abroad. no?

• discos_almadiscos_alma discos_alma 2,164 Posts
    Grope said:
    Horseleech said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Grope said:

well, i was trying to say that it is very expensive to travel and i would rather work abroad for some time. i couldn't imagine to sell all my records for traveling the world. i miss traveling and i think i'd do better than my friends with the money but i think they were still well prepared and ended up being a little disappointed.

Have to agree with Horseleech and Pimlico re: your friends. What a waste!

You have that last part right, though. No need to sell all your shit + living abroad is better than backpack travelling IMO. Doing an apartment swap with someone in another country is a great way to kill two birds with one stone: you have an apartment on lock before you even get over there and you don't have to deal with subletting your place out. Taking language classes is a good look because you will meet other foreigners which is important at first so you ease into life in another country. Then you can start doing your own thing and meeting locals and immersing yourself.

There are plenty of organizations around the world that need help. A friend of mine is living in Argentina, started out volunteering and is now getting paid + free room and board to work for an organization that monitors marshland for traces of chemicals.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Grope said:
    Horseleech said:
    pimlicosquirrel said:
    Grope said:

Working abroad and traveling abroad are not interchangeable experiences, imo.

I've done all styles.

- Lived in Hong Kong for two years (my junior and senior year in high school)
    - Backpacked/Eurailed for 3.5 months with GF of the time after college.
    - Spent weeks/months on the road in my old VW Camper
    - Taken numerous vacations.

Loved all of them in their own way.

Hong Kong was an incredible experience, some of the best times of my life. Learned so much, including how to communicate/coexist with people who are very different from yourself, in situations that are very different from what you are used to.

In our 3.5 months of backpacking, we met tons of great people and benefited from
    incredible acts of generosity everywhere we went. Numerous times we rolled into some small town after dark with no arrangements and always found a place to stay. If you travel with an open mind and open heart, people will respond to you with the same. This has never let me down, ever. Of course you use common sense as well, but it really isn't that complicated. I always took a half an hour or so to learn enough of the language to ask for simple things and that was enough to open doors.

Hitting the road in the Camper with no itinerary was some of the freest feelings/times I've ever had.

And a well planned vacation can be the most relaxing thing ever.

But I've seen people who just don't get it, and their travels usually end up being a labor, if not a nightmare. These folks are probably better off in a tour group.

I never had to sell anything, though. I just saved up $$$.