I concur... stoked.

• BeatChemistBeatChemist 1,465 Posts
    Agreed. This is good news!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    yea finally
    its only been 7 years and i really didn't like dayvan all that much
    hoping for a return to earlier form [mhtrtc.geo,old tunes,ep's etc]

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    this group have always passed me by. i don't think i ever fully understood them overall from the small amounts i have heard.
    what would be a good suggestion for a starting place?

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    jammy said:
    this group have always passed me by. i don't think i ever fully understood them overall from the small amounts i have heard.

i would recommend music has the right to children but you need to kind of be a pothead to really "get it" i think.
    or at least have tripped or smoked enough in the past to have permanently damaged your brain enough for the seepage

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    'Music Has A Right To Children' album

My personal favourite is Geogaddi. But I think, but it has more to do with the fact that the first time I listened to it was on a bus ride from Toronto to Sudbury. It was an overnight bus that left Toronto just after midnight and and got to Sudbury around 6am. I was living up there for the summer with my Dad, and had travelled back down to Toronto to visit a girl I was madly in love with, but too scared to tell. So that ride back to Sudbury, half drifting in and out of sleep, listening to Geogaddi, thinking about that girl - all added up to a deep emotional attachment to the album.

MHTRTC and Twoism are close though.

I enjoy pretty much everything I've heard from them. It just has an organic, nostalgic feel that is very powerful and evocative, but also comforting and familiar.

EDIT

Also... I think I like this album hype campaign better than Daft Punk's!

• kalakala 3,361 Posts

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    i am gonna buy a few copies of this upcoming release on vinyl cuz their stock always goes up

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    I remember when Campfire Headphase came out, it was a time when I was getting most of my music from torrents or Soulseek or something, and there was talk that there was a bootleg and then the real deal. For whatever reason, I never tried to find out if I had the real thing or the 'leg, so I just didn't listen to it.

But the first two albums - def a fan. This one short little tune on Geogoddi, "Driving Station," I put in this weird trifecta with the album cover of Donald Byrd's Places and Spaces and Miyazaki's Porco Rosso of these things that give me images of person air travel in the most romantic way possible, if that makes any sense. Basically: What kala said.

Also, strictly from an ad perspective, this and the new Daft Punk taking back some of the mystery of the album release. I dig it.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    kala said:
    jammy said:

i would recommend music has the right to children but you need to kind of be a pothead to really "get it" i think.
    or at least have tripped or smoked enough in the past to have permanently damaged your brain enough for the seepage

yeah, 'Music has The Right To Children' is the album of theirs I always return to.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    thought this was going to be about skateboards but happy that its about da godz
    great that they're finally coming out with a new one

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    kala said:
    i am gonna buy a few copies of this upcoming release on vinyl cuz their stock always goes up

Indeed:

(I was going to post an eBay link, but the Strut won't let me saying it's 'blacklisted'?)

Search eBay for "Boards Of Canada RSD Promo" to see an $1800 BOC 12"

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country I keep at work and listen to all the time.

I stopped after Geogaddi.

Im gonna pull out ....Right To Children and revisit.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    batmon said:
    In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country I keep at work and listen to all the time.

I stopped after Geogaddi.

Im gonna pull out ....Right To Children and revisit.

BRONX GOES SCOTTISH IDM

YES!!!!!

Wow.

Not only do they concoct a great album release, but they make a college kid $5k... genius!

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    Copped two. Anyone know if it's limited? So far it hasn't sold out.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    BeatChemist said:
    Wow.

Not only do they concoct a great album release, but they make a college kid $5k... genius!

Except that this auction is almost certainly bogus at this point and won't be paid.

It does generate a lot of publicity, though.

b/w

After reading his 'description', I think this guy needs less college, not more.

Horseleech said:

Except that this auction is almost certainly bogus at this point and won't be paid.

It does generate a lot of publicity, though.

True. True.

• GibboGibbo 124 Posts

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts

DJ Food - O Is For Orange from Solid Steel on Vimeo.

DJ FOOD: "This mix originated because of a night called 'A Few Old Tunes' that I was involved with alongside Posthuman, Tom Central and Mach V. The idea was to build a night of sound and vision around Boards of Canada-inspired music with visuals of a similar aesthetic. It's a loose concept and I've used it to string together a lot of downtempo tracks that usually wouldn't get played in one of my regular club sets.
    'O Is For Orange' is the sound of weathered tape saturation, detuned analogue synthesisers, vinyl crackle and machine hum. It's also the look of flickering, unfocused lenses, mirror image filters and blurry grain embedded into film. Unofficial fan films sit alongside experimental animation, public information shorts and even the odd official video. Material that BoC took inspiration from blends with their own work as well as many that they in turn inspired.
    I make no apologies for the quality of the vision here, some of it is only available via the web at frustratingly small sizes. In a couple of instances I've actually downgraded the look and quality of the image to make it blend in better and in others, even my best attempts at filtering can't disguise the low quality of the source material. No HD or widescreen here, I've gone back to 4:3 for this one even though some of the clips were originally 16:9 or wider."

Tracklist:
    Sesame Street - Oh! Orange (Sesame Workshop) - dir. unknown
    Galt MacDermot - Aquarius (RCA Victor)
    Video: 'Conquest of Light' - dir. Paul Cohen (AT&T), 'Mars & Beyond' - dir. Ward Kimball, 'Time Magazine' advert, 'Thunderbolt' - dir. Ira Cohen
    Boards of Canada - The Colour of the Fire (Warp)
    Video: Sesame Street 'I Love You' - dir. unknown
    Broadcast & The Focus Group - The Be Colony (Warp)
    Video: 'Witch Cults' #1 & 2, Oasis 'Shock of the Lightning' - all dir. Julian House
    Yosi Horikawa - Wandering (First Word)
    Video: Yeasayer 'Henrietta' - dir. unknown
    Prefuse 73 feat. School of Seven Bells - The Class of 73 (Warp)
    Video: Official - dir. Chris Boyle (Warp Films)
    Mordy Laye & The Group Modular - Electric Paint (Audio Montage)
    Video: Official - dir. PlanktON
    Boards of Canada - Everything You Do Is A Balloon (Skam)
    Video: Unofficial - dir. by Nonameno5, sampled from "One Got Fat" (1963)
    John Abercrombie - Timeless (ECM)
    Delia Derbyshire and Barry Bermange - The Dreams: Land (BBC)
    Video: 'As The Crow Flies' - dir. Funki Porcini, AT&T documentaries, 'Light' - dir. Jordan Belson
    The Books - Group Autogenics I (Temporary Residence)
    Video: 'Terminal Self' - dir. John Whitney Jr.
    Two Quiet Suns - Light Curve (Bandcamp)
    Video: Yeasayer 'Fingers Never Bleed' - dir. unknown
    DJ Food - Sunspot (no label)
    Video: Official - dir. DJ Food and Tom Clarkson
    Lost Idol - Beesmouth (Cookshop)
    Video: excerpt from 'The Public Voice' dir. Lejf Marcussen
    Boards of Canada - A Beautiful Place Out In The Country (Warp)
    Video: Unofficial - dir. Neil Krug
    Meat Beat Manifesto - Prime Audio Soup (Boards of Canada remix) (PIAS)
    Video: 'Series 4' - dir. Normand Gr??goire (Nation Film Board of Canada)
    Autechre - Teartear (Warp)
    Video: 'Beyond The Black Rainbow' - dir. Panos Comastos, 'Skyfall' intro, Aldo Ar??char 'That Will Be The Day' - dir. Matthew Divito
    The Human League - Being Boiled (Fast)
    Video: Unofficial - TV performance remixed by DJ Food, 'Beyond The Black Rainbow' - dir. Panos Comastos,
    Wagon Christ - Chunkothy (Ninja Tune)
    Video: Official - dir. Celyn Brazier
    Boards of Canada - Satellite Anthem Icarus (Warp)
    Video: Unofficial - dir. Videomarsh
    Boards of Canada - Music Is Math (Warp)
    Video: Unofficial - dir. unknown
    Slag Boom Van Loon - Poppy Seed (Boards of Canada remix) (Planet Mu)
    Video: Unofficial - dir. Olyamoshi using 'Rendezvous with Rama' Arthur C. Clarke 3D footage
    Boards of Canada - Olson (Midland re-edit) (mp3)
    Delia Derbyshire and Barry Bermange - The Dreams: Colour (BBC)
    Video: 'Hello Machine' - dir. Carroll Ballard (AT&T)
    Sesame Street - A Lot of Me - dir. unknown (Sesame Workshop)

edit - DJ Food's words (not mine or my mix sadly enough!), also due to being a dribbler I accidently DL'd the video before I worked out there's an mp3 of the audio on soundcloud, and the video has since been taken down due to copyright, so if anyone wants a copy of it let me know and I'll set up a fileshare for DL.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    oh how lovely Duderonomy
    that's the best thing i've seen/heard in awhile
    massive props!

It's a great mix, let alone the visual element which is also amazing. Blazing downtempo excellence - you can download the mp3 here:

Off topic: Solid Steels's 25th anniversary year - a lot of good mixes recently. Definitely check the De La Soul 3 Feet High mix if you haven't - there's a link in the Strut 100 to it http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/75469/P60/

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    BoC are just one of those groups I've never got into, and I have tried several times. I always feel that on paper I should love them but there is something about those glitchy plodding downtempo beats that just makes them unlistenable for me.

I think I agree with what you're saying. I've always wanted a copy of Rogybiv (or whatever it's called) but never enough to actually buy it as the 2nd hand price kept rising and rising and rising...
    I'm sure if I plowed through their entire catalogue I'd find other tracks I like, but I'm quite happy to just have this mix instead.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    its certainly not for everyone
    but if you smoke tree and have love for ambient electronica/ analog synths,70's ost's and educational films its kinda hard not to dig their first 2 albums:
    MHTRTC and Geogaddi

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    What he said ^