RIP Vince Montana Jr.

oripsorips 238 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
According to his Facebook page, Vince Montana, Jr. passed away. The brains behind the Salsoul Orchestra, he was 85.

"Today we ask for the strength and prayers of those who loved Vincent Montana, Jr., who passed away peacefully today, April 13, 2013 with his loved ones beside him. A man who brought us great joy in so many ways. He will always be with us through his music."

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=536762459700784&set=a.282394798470886.66443.154242687952765&type=1

Comments

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Are you all speechless?
    Is this really heading towards 100 views without even one "Rest In Peace"?

• usernameusername 71 Posts
    No, I'm not speechless. Death is inevitable. The "R.I.P." thing is trite, banal, and self-serving form of commiseration.

Acknowledge the death and move on. Do you really think anyone who dies/passes away receives

this transmission of mourning? What exactly is the purpose of stating "rest in piece"? Is it really necessary?

Do you really think the person is actually resting peacefully? Or is it a blackout, a return to nothingness?

This guy like everyone else who "expressed their creativity" had his moment in the sun and now it has ended.

I hope his being dissipates and the energy "reincarnates" back in nature. If anyone was really concerned,

they should go be with the family. Go pour some of your beer on the ground for the guy, play his music but
    I don't think anyone dead is actually "resting", it implies being, existing. Who knows, this guy may have lived
    a unholy life and deserved to die. Maybe leaving this world is bittersweet.

I hope the term "R.I.P." rests in piece and never returns.

• YemskyYemsky 708 Posts
    Oh dear.
    Firstly, you mean mourning, not morning.
    Secondly, I pretty much agree. I think I have never written RIP here or anywhere else when remembering somebody who died. These moments are however the trigger to remember what the deceased contributed to the art form we love. I was surprised that seemingly no-one had anything to say about Vince Montana. Not even a banality.
    Maybe we have to let this one rest in peace indeed and move one.
    The excitement seems to be about a Mexican Monkey today anyway.

Thanks. I knew something was wrong with the spelling. I never use the term.

I guess, whenever I hear about someone famous who dies, I think to myself, well so what?

What about John Doe who died? So this guy accomplished what he did, does he deserve privileged respect?

I guess I was never fond of Salsoul records. I wonder if anyone who "r.i.p.s" famous person deaths really loses sleep over it????

Sorry for the rant. I appreciate the spelling correction. One less person in the overpopulated world.

Yemsky said:
    Oh dear.
    The excitement seems to be about a Mexican Monkey today anyway.

Are you referring to Marco Rubio and the fucked up immigration legislation?? Or the daft punk tune?
    Oh, I forgot, he is Cuban. Sorry.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    That's sad. He had a good run, though, and made some fantastic records as leader... god knows how many records he worked on but his arrangements always stood out a mile and his vibe paying could be sublime. I'll be playing O Jays, Salsoul, Double Exposure MFSB and the rest tonight...