Rank the Marley Family's Effort carrying the family torch Grade School Style

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central
I give them a solid C. None of the kids really have written a hit album. That one Ziggy album was the closest to it.

The best thing one of them has done was to get Lauryn Hill.

I won't pay to see a Marley family show but they do enough free shows / festivals that I have and probably would again.

Comments

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    "Welcome To Jamrock"

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I still ride hard for this very underrated album by Ziggy...

And much more recently, this one was pretty good...

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    that Nas-Damien disaster collabo has very nearly undone all the years of decent music and positive attitudes generated by Ziggy....

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dont listen to them to give them a grade, but I rocked the hell outta Conscious Party back in '89.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    batmon said:
    I dont listen to them to give them a grade, but I rocked the hell outta Conscious Party back in '89.

I feel like Ziggy did it right. It's lightweight festival "world music" type softness mostly, but he does it decently. No reason for the Marley bros to ever try to depart from that shit; Ziggy embraced it. He didn't try to get too serious with it IMO.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    batmon said:

I feel like Ziggy did it right. It's lightweight festival "world music" type softness mostly, but he does it decently. No reason for the Marley bros to ever try to depart from that shit; Ziggy embraced it. He didn't try to get too serious with it IMO.

Yeah but Ziggy's rehash of his father Reggae was cool in the mid to late 80's.
    Stephen was chatting on those early records and was better fit to adapt to Dancehall later dominance.

The Hacky-Sack Reggae was done for the mainstream by the early 90's.

• pretty massive shoes to fill.

The family churned out some hits though, a lot of which I like even if they are in a completely different league than dad's tunes.

A few that haven't been mentioned:

Melody Makers when they are VERY young

Rita Marley - One Draw

Damien Marley, Eek-a-Mouse, Bounty Killer - Khaki Suit

Stephen & Damien - Traffic Jam

• kitkit 5 Posts
    This is pretty good.

• caicai spacecho 362 Posts
    Love this track

"Extra, extra.... read all about it
    Ghetto youths in need and there is no doubt about it
    If baby want feed and cant do without it