Greatest Hits albums are for housewives and littles girls

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited April 2013 in Strut Central

That being said...what Greatest Hits albums do you secretly keep filed in your stacks?
No comps, only "Greatest HIts" and "Best Of" single artist lps.
Off the top of my head, my secret shames are:

please rep yours

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I disagree cause some Greatest Hits come w/ exclusive joints like both Sade Comps.

But as far as "kinda ashamed" type shit, which im not really ashamed of.....

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    There was a withney Houston joke

• minimini 879 Posts

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    The premise itself is rock-snob bullshit of the most idiotic kind, but I don't hold you responsible for that, obviously. The "shame" thing is a little puzzling, though. Plenty of great performers did their best work on 45s, and the concept of The Great Singles Band still carries a bit of weight in the UK.

Anyway...

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    The premise itself is rock-snob bullshit of the most idiotic kind
    I am saying.

I recently VG-plussed-up on Harold Melvin and The Blue Notes' Collectors' Item just because I like having "The Love I Lost" and "Bad Luck" back to back.

Shame is for suckers.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    You guys may be laying it on a little thick, considering the playful spirit of the original post. I've always dug Greatest Hits as an easy intro into a band's sound. Some of the ones I still have:

--A Chicago double-CD set that's name escapes me
    --The Doobie Brothers
    --A Creedence tape I snatched from my parents
    --Musiquarium, of course

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    I am saying.

Worth thirding...not to mention most housewives and little girls have more substance than a lot of record elitist nerds that I know.

batmon said:
    I disagree cause some Greatest Hits come w/ exclusive joints like both Sade Comps.

And make great gateway/introductory formats. I shudder to think where I would be musically if these hadn't crossed my path as a preteen.

A couple more amazing greatest hits series:

• DustedDonDustedDon 830 Posts

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I got a K&TG; Greatest Hits CD 1969-1976. Yes, I would like Ladies Night, Too Hot, Emergency, and Celebration on there, but I'll live.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    not a single bad moment on this terd:

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    white_tea said:
    You guys may be laying it on a little thick, considering the playful spirit of the original post. I've always dug Greatest Hits as an easy intro into a band's sound. Some of the ones I still have:

--A Chicago double-CD set that's name escapes me
    --The Doobie Brothers
    --A Creedence tape I snatched from my parents
    --Musiquarium, of course

Well, let me apologise if my comment came across in so earnest a way, as that wasn't my intention at all. Nevertheless, the premise does rather invite that kind of response. The idea that singles and, by extension, singles-driven genres are inferior by definition and thus best left to people who don't treat music with the requisite level of seriousness is rock-snob bullshit. Personally, I happen to think such a preference is the mark of someone who probably has a far healthier relationship with music than that of someone who gets into internet squabbles over the minutiae of differing degrees of private-bonerism.

That said, I have equal contempt for "just play the hits" faux-populism. For the last couple of evenings, purely for my own amusement, I've been attempting to put together a definitive best-of from Fleetwood Mac's post-Peter Green/pre-Buckingham/Nicks wilderness years - that neglected period forgotten by all but the most die-hard Mac obsessives and studiously ignored by compilers of box-sets and curators of RSD boutique limited-editions - so I'm just as much about the dark and dusty corners as I am the places that everyone knows.

Shout out to rootless for being first to go to bat for Legend (which I nearly did, but bottled out on). I also thought of submitting Stevie's collection from the Anthology/Looking Back series, but then it occurred to me that those comps have above-average pull for record-nerds compared to yer garden-variety hits collections - in Stevie's case, it was his o.g. version of Until You Come Back To Me, while the original 1974 Marvin collection was for some time the easiest place to find You're The Man, and the only place to find it on an album - so I gave 'em the swerve.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    bassie said:
    james said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    I am saying.

Worth thirding...not to mention most housewives and little girls have more substance than a lot of record elitist nerds that I know.

batmon said:

And make great gateway/introductory formats. I shudder to think where I would be musically if these hadn't crossed my path as a preteen.

That Aretha comp is hands down one of my all time favourite records - perfect selection of perfect music. Don't think it was ever reissued on CD either...

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    no joke - BITD i probably actually held on to this belief for a bit. i am sure it was a result of working at a record store and seeing person after person after person buy greatest hit albums only, with what seemed like very little interest to hear anything more than the acknowledged "hits". but it was definite record nerd/snob shit though on my part.

no longer have this belief and I ride hard for Rolling Stones "Hot Rocks" & Clash "Singles".

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    Went through alot of them growing up, but this one killed me the most:

the premise alone is eye watering

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts