"B*tch, Don't Kill My Vibe" remix w/Jay-Z

hogginthefogghogginthefogg 6,098 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
It took me half a dozen listens to realize that Jay's verse isn't bad, but man, does K.Dot eat him alive on this.

http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/83816956

And why can't I embed the damn Soundcloud player?

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I can only repeat what I said elsewhere; Jay tries to bring it, but really, it's just the (now) standard issue talk about his missus and how much money he's got in the bank and...well, we know all that. He sounds increasingly like a man content just to show up and leave all the hard work to his rep and the cachet that his co-signage can still provide. K-Dot, on the other hand, sounds hungry and driven and "OK, I gotta come hard on this one...", and it pays off.

There's no question that Jay has a long and distinguished future as one half of Vanity Fair's "urban" power couple of choice to look forward to, and he deserves credit for taking it further than anyone else (apart from Will Smith and, at a push, LL), but we're heading into diminishing returns territory now.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    not to mention Jay's shaky/cracking voice thing; he's always had it, but it's more pronounced these days, maybe on a account of his age. And it sounds horrible.

• 'drick is in his freestyle/guest verse form in this. A++

jayz raps like he's filling a prescription. C-

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    we're heading into diminishing returns territory now.

I'd say we've been there for a bit. But shit, he wants to enjoy his success. Ain't nothing wrong with that. It just means his musical output isn't all that interesting.

Kendrick tears this joint up, though.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    DocMcCoy said:
    we're heading into diminishing returns territory now.

I'd say we've been there since The Black Album

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Take Jay out and that's a hot song. He does nothing for this track and even sounds a bit jarring when he first comes in.

Not sure if it's been discussed elsewhere on here, but Kendrick's verse on His Pain is hot lava. I can't embed since I'm on an iPhone

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    C'mon dudes, "Empty my memory bank, there's a million dollars in it, baby, Hillary Swank / Sittin' next to Hilary smellin' like dank, presidential pardon..." is hard as hell.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Bitch done killed my vibe.

I don't know about you hardcore war-mongerin' thugs, but this softbatch hippy ass vato over here needs...NEEDS...that Peace Love 'N Harmony cap in the Bone Thugs loho style like ASAP, Rocky:

• Herm said:
    I don't know about you hardcore war-mongerin' thugs, but this softbatch hippy ass vato over here needs...NEEDS...that Peace Love 'N Harmony cap in the Bone Thugs loho style like ASAP, Rocky:

Super cool video, Herm. I wanna believe that it's organic--that that was really the first time Kendrick heard Jay's verse and that he was really floored by it like that. Because it makes his third verse that much better.

Jay's verse ends with a laugh, as if he's really pleased with what he just laid down. You hear half a bar of the beat and think the hook's coming back in, but no: Kendrick picks up on Jay's "funeral" line and keeps going with the line about turning eulogies to urinals. And from there, he just goes and goes.

I am the bad, the good God, the last the hood got
    The last that would try to pass a good job
    If Shawn's a black Beatle, then I need a 10 second drum solo
    Bitch, see you at Woodstock

I've probably listened to this song 20 times this week.