A/V Strut (Trying to make the best of wire that has already been run)

JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Hey dudes,

I have a family member who is finishing a theater room. Long story short, wires have already been run but the wires that are in place don't seem to provide the solution I'm looking for.

There is a place ready for a projector to be mounted in the ceiling and a screen ready to go. We have a projector that can do HDMI/Component or VGA. BUT the wires that are sticking out of the ceiling are 2 coaxial wires and 2 cat 5 wires. These wires run back to an AV closet directly behind the screen wall.

I crawled up into the attic to see how hard it would be to rerun wire but that isn't going to be an option....unless it absolutely has to be.

Anyone know the best way to use the cables in place to connect a projector with component/hdmi or vga? I looked into component over cat5 but all of those solutions seemed a bit confusing and possibly expensive...which is okay if that becomes the only option.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• SunfadeSunfade 799 Posts
    JectWon said:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, call the Geek Squad.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Eggplant Xanadoo said:
    JectWon said:

Any thoughts?

Yeah, call the Geek Squad.

Pffft, fuck that.

EDIT: Looks like an HDMI over cat5 Balun transmitter and reciever is going to do the trick...about $300 bucks....

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    seems like you need something like this:
    http://www.svideo.com/videobalun1.html

otherwise tie the hdmi cable to one end of one of the coaxial cables and pull it through, if that's possible.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Shouldnt the wire from the A/V Closet to the Projector be HDMI?

And how many HDMI jacks do the A/V Closet have?

Are yall running Y,R,G,B steez?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    NILES HDMI over cat5 Reciever and Transmitter FTW. Thanks to everyone for their help. I think this will be a costly but effective solution.

Now I gotta crawl around in that goddamn attic again...I almost got stuck last time.

• attach whatever wire you want to use to the existing ones and pull them through.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    You should be able to easily terminate a pair of cat5/6 as hdmi without too much expense. I don't know much about home theater but I've been in a number of post production facilities where pretty much everything was running over cat6.

If you haven't seen them there are a number of options here:

http://milestek.com/c-972-hdmi-over-cat5ecat6-extenders.aspx

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Yeah. Use a cat5/6 solution. Running a long HDMI isn't idea for distances over 25-30 feet. Older/cheaper cat5 boxes will probably need 2 cable runs.

I'd be interested to try something like this...

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=109&cp_id=10110&cs_id=1011012&p_id=8122&seq=1&format=2