Old Threads That Get Bumped...

HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
...don't always show up right for me. Some posts just say 'quote', others are blank and the quote within quote posts don't say who's being quoted.

Sometimes they look fine, sometimes they are almost unreadable.

Just me?

Comments

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    not just you.

after a certain level of old-ness (5 yrs?) the threads look weird.

you have to quote the post to see what it says.

it's weird.

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    Thats funny, I was going to post "en masse bumping of old threads" in the Things That Annoy You thread

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:
    after a certain level of old-ness (5 yrs?) the threads look weird.
    This seems like maybe a good time to ask: Why do you bump all these old threads?

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    overwhelming desire to be proved right

today is Chem Trail Friday. get fam.

as for past bumps, who knows. I'll be reminded of a past thread (maybe a video I see on TV, or a FB post, or a restaurant I pass on the way to work), look it up, bump it. it's fun to me. you guys are free to ignore them.

and yes I love being proven right (plus why would I bump a thread I didn't contribute to? obviously those are the only ones I remember).

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    rootlesscosmo said:

as for past bumps, who knows. I'll be reminded of a past thread (maybe a video I see on TV, or a FB post, or a restaurant I pass on the way to work), look it up, bump it. it's fun to me. you guys are free to ignore them.

and yes I love being proven right (plus why would I bump a thread I didn't contribute to? obviously those are the only ones I remember).
    I guess I can understand that, but in most cases you're not adding any commentary or explaining why you're bumping them, in many cases these threads that you're bumping range from flavorless to straight-up shitty, and in some cases the fucked-up coding renders them effectively unreadable, meaning that your bumping them is really just a symbolic gesture. Or something. I don't know. It's hard to tell.

I can deal with a front page full of current threads that have nothing to do with nothing, because hey, at least that represents on some level the will and interests of the the community. But having to wade through a front page larded with nothing-to-do-with-nothing, half-blank, dead-linked, red-x'ed-the-fuck-out old threads just because one dude saw a dolphin or felt like a victory lap of whatever can get to be a lot to take.

I mean, I'm all for having fun and enjoying being right and all (they tell me it's wonderful), but being able to enjoy soulstrut in 2013 already requires ignoring a lot of shit, so I feel like instead of asking folks to like it or lump it, the more grown thing is to realize that maybe not so many of these parties need to be held in public, you know?

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    A bump of the memorable farts thread is always welcome in my book. I can't read it in public because I cry from laughter every time.

james said:
    rootlesscosmo said:

I guess I can understand that, but in most cases you're not adding any commentary or explaining why you're bumping them, in many cases these threads that you're bumping range from flavorless to straight-up shitty, and in some cases the fucked-up coding renders them effectively unreadable, meaning that your bumping them is really just a symbolic gesture. Or something. I don't know. It's hard to tell.

I can deal with a front page full of current threads that have nothing to do with nothing, because hey, at least that represents on some level the will and interests of the the community. But having to wade through a front page larded with nothing-to-do-with-nothing, half-blank, dead-linked, red-x'ed-the-fuck-out old threads just because one dude saw a dolphin or felt like a victory lap of whatever can get to be a lot to take.

I mean, I'm all for having fun and enjoying being right and all (they tell me it's wonderful), but being able to enjoy soulstrut in 2013 already requires ignoring a lot of shit, so I feel like instead of asking folks to like it or lump it, the more grown thing is to realize that maybe not so many of these parties need to be held in public, you know?

OK.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    Bumping old threads is corny.

yuichi said:
    Bumping old threads is corny.

!!!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    Some old threads still have value. Sometimes I do get a couple pages deep and realize I'm reading something from 2007. Never had a formatting issue to tip me off, though. Thread bumping is far less annoying to me than the duplicate-but-slightly-different subject line threads that get posted. I mean, if you really want to talk about chud filler, those are far more guilty of being zero-dimensional.

But I'm basically okay with all of it, if that's what people want to do. I'm just a guest here like everyone else.