Shouldn't be this hard to find / expensive thread

mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central

The "recently discoverd " thread got me to thinking that I'd really like to have legit digital and/or vinyl copies of some of my fave Kinks records and geez-o-lou they are either super expensive, out-of-print or unavailable on Itunes.

WTF! This was thier biggest record and it has thier biggest hit on it, why cant i get a decent used copy for less than $50?

What other records should be easier/more available, that aren't...and im not talking about your Boscoes or other raers, but major label, big sellers.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    There was a thread recently on Waxidermy about common records that turn up regularly in the dollar bins. Regionally the records varied drastically in what people were posting. Commons in some areas weren't common at all in others. I expect it is the same thing with the Kinks record.

• gazgaz 232 Posts

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    I've been looking for the good Al Hirt album for awhile. I found a nice copy at Forever Young but it was $25, so I told myself I would find it on the field at some point. Nope. This was well over ten years ago. Also, the Dionne Warwick record Dilla sampled is eluding me. I know it's not rare, but why do I see every other album by her but that one? Ditto on the Al Hirt.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    JATX said:
    I've been looking for the good Al Hirt album for awhile. I found a nice copy at Forever Young but it was $25, so I told myself I would find it on the field at some point. Nope. This was well over ten years ago. Also, the Dionne Warwick record Dilla sampled is eluding me. I know it's not rare, but why do I see every other album by her but that one? Ditto on the Al Hirt.

same here and the setsales always elude me

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

The "recently discoverd " thread got me to thinking that I'd really like to have legit digital and/or vinyl copies of some of my fave Kinks records and geez-o-lou they are either super expensive, out-of-print or unavailable on Itunes.

WTF! This was thier biggest record and it has thier biggest hit on it, why cant i get a decent used copy for less than $50?

What other records should be easier/more available, that aren't...and im not talking about your Boscoes or other raers, but major label, big sellers.

I have experienced similar scenarios, especially with the 60s rock bands. My assumptions are that:
    1) These records are close to 50 years old now
    2) Finding one of these records (despite selling in good numbers back-in-the-day) in anything close to EX condition is incredibly difficult.
    3) The emergence of re-mastering and Deluxe Editions has given us super-crispy, clean and amazing-sounding digital files. A crackly and poppy LP is a lot harder to sell to ears that have gotten used to the cleanliness of digital. Thus, EX and NM vinyl prices have gone through the roof. And you only have to look at some of the prices being paid for sealed copies of million-selling LPs to know this isn't changing anytime soon.
    4) Good records - LPs - groups - will always sell, and the Kinks are definitely one of the bands with a superb discography.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    All very good points, but i guess i would also settle for a nice 180gm reissue on this album, which doesn't exist and it seems like this album has NEVER been reissued on vinyl, which is crazy. C'mon 4MenWithBeards...get with it

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    pcmr said:
    JATX said:

I could theoretically make your and mrmatthew's dreams come true with a setsale if I knew where anything was. Keep your eyes peeled.
    Some records showing up/commonness is very regional, which I always find funny.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    http://www.discogs.com/sell/list?release_id=401107&ev=rb

US first pressing VG++ for $40, NM for $75

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    dude~!
    you already know about this hot new band--and yet you're in there sniping all my WANTS, mussin up my continuing rock education...

whatEVER

My Kinks update:
    I got all the easy ones, waffling on the early shit. But all I have left of the seriously mega era is Will Age Greens Society (got the discography offa torrents--that's the right name yes?). That one looks like it's gonna cost me forty fifty bucks. I won't spend that much on a record unless I get to touch it first. Touch it.

OMG I can't believe you guys never heard the Kinks bro wtf srsly

for me it's always been Iron Maiden records. I have no idea what's up with those. Or Beatles. I'd like to have some Beatles records but they're all twenty bucks. Weirdos. Comeon.

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    About 3 months ago I started paying attention to all copies of Aja, looking for M-.

Still looking.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I went a good while looking for the good Black Sabbath records, all I kept running into was the 80s stuff.

Nina Simone is another one. Always thought her records would be pretty easy to find but didn't see them very often.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    JATX said:
    Also, the Dionne Warwick record Dilla sampled is eluding me. I know it's not rare, but why do I see every other album by her but that one?

I had a beat-up copy for maybe ten years before finally copping a cheap clean one in the closing-down sale at this spot in North London about five years back. For reasons I've never been able to establish, it's always been a bit of a tough catch in the UK. It was never super-expensive either (although maybe Dilla stans caused the price to spike?), just very scarce.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    dilla has inflated the discogs market
    but you would think a store would consider warwick common abd the sweater vest would not do something to change there minds

• inVrsinVrs 687 Posts
    I was also on the hunt for that dionne album for a while, found it cheap at some random thrift in holland finally. I ve never seen it again, not in shops, not on flea markets etc. Seems to be somehow rare. Here`s another one: Bohannon`s "Stop & Go". Finally found one after 6 years and it was the only copy i ve ever seen. Seems strange for a record like this.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    billbradley said:
    There was a thread recently on Waxidermy about common records that turn up regularly in the dollar bins. Regionally the records varied drastically in what people were posting. Commons in some areas weren't common at all in others. I expect it is the same thing with the Kinks record.

Like when I found UGK's entire early discography in the 50 cent bin at Amoeba in San Francisco.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

• BallzDeepBallzDeep 612 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    billbradley said:

Like when I found UGK's entire early discography in the 50 cent bin at Amoeba in San Francisco.

sick holmes!

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    billbradley said:

I got most of my Saafir 12s (at least the ones that came out in or before 1998) in Greensboro, NC, for 95 cents a pop. I guess folks just weren't trippin' off the Westbound Hound.

• JATXJATX 258 Posts
    The_Non said:
    pcmr said:
    JATX said:

I could theoretically make your and mrmatthew's dreams come true with a setsale if I knew where anything was. Keep your eyes peeled.
    Some records showing up/commonness is very regional, which I always find funny.

Cool, I'll be looking out.