Please Protect Me From Myself

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
We've debated all of these here....first it was smoking....then trans-fats, salt....loud music in public... the size of your soda....Ietc., etc.

But even the cynic that I am didn't think these clowns would try to tell you that you shouldn't/couldn't listen to loud music on your own personal ear buds.....but, but, but they aren't making it illegal, just trying to educate folks.

That's how all the others began too.

Thank you Sir, may I have another.

Take care of the economy, poverty, unemployment and about a billion other things more important than spending money to tell me my music is too loud for my own good.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/mayor_deaf_jammer_S37gCMR9xUDKw2vx9bjFVM

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

Im sick off hearing your "Rap Music That Your Liking" or Merengue bleeding through your Coby's on the subway.

Blast that shit on some better head/ear phones. Shit sound like some cheap-ass foam & tangled wires Walkman headphones from '84 n shit.

Need some "Crying Indian" on some Noise Pollution PSAs!!!

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

Im sick off hearing your "Rap Music That Your Liking" or Merengue bleeding through your Coby's on the subway.

Blast that shit on some better head/ear phones. Shit sound like some cheap-ass foam & tangled wires Walkman headphones from '84 n shit.

Need some "Crying Indian" on some Noise Pollution PSAs!!!

Fuck yes. Yesterday's subway ride was so bad I changed cars- some tinnyass headphones blaring rap to our half of the car, young lady mumbling along with it.

This law is a PUBLIC service, not personal protection.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

It could be worse. Lotta teens in my neighborhood don't even fuck with headphones, acting like it's okay if they listen to shit out-loud as long as they keep the volume "low" (and that's teenage "low," not, like, human "low"). Grandpa in the next seat is not trying to put up with your second-hand juke all the way from here to downtown, sonny. Please clip that shit.

Need some "Crying Indian Italian" on some Noise Pollution PSAs!!!
    Real heads know. Espera Oscar de Corti, rest in peace.

• p_gunnp_gunn 2,284 Posts
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

It could be worse. Lotta teens in my neighborhood don't even fuck with headphones, acting like it's okay if they listen to shit out-loud as long as they keep the volume "low" (and that's teenage "low," not, like, human "low"). Grandpa in the next seat is not trying to put up with your second-hand juke all the way from here to downtown, sonny. Please clip that shit.

Need some "Crying Indian Italian" on some Noise Pollution PSAs!!!
    Real heads know. Espera Oscar de Corti, rest in peace.

seriously. i want to buy a handful of dollar store earbuds and just pass them out to the next dude who acts like his phone is providing a public service...

the other day, i was in computer section of the LIBRARY in my school and some girl 6 computers down from me started listening to music over the speakers... i was seriously amazed... i asked her to turn it down and she gave me a look like i was crazy... she turned it down like 3 clicks and i asked if i could still hear it... i said yeah and she finally turned it off, but it blew my mind that she thought that this was proper behavior in a library...

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2013/03/ny_man_ticketed_for_laughing_t.html

Police in Nassau County, N.Y. gave a man two summonses for allegedly laughing too loudly.

ROCKVILLE CENTRE, N.Y. ??? A New York man says he didn't know it was a crime to laugh.

Robert Schiavelli of Rockville Centre, on Long Island, was slapped with two summonses for "disturbing the peace."

Police responded to his home on Feb. 12 and Feb. 13 after receiving complaints from his next-door neighbor that his loud laughs could be heard across the driveway.

The 42-year-old was charged with acting "in such a manner as to annoy, disturb, interfere with, obstruct, or be offensive to others."

At his arraignment Tuesday, a judge declined to dismiss the charges.

• willie_fugalwillie_fugal 1,862 Posts
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

other day, dude on the subway had his little sony boombox on his lap, blasting a$ap rocky. i was sitting across from him and didn't mind too much???but only because i have a soft spot for rocky.

after a couple stops, a girl in her twenties walked over to guy and asked him politely to turn the volume down because it was way too loud. he just stared right at her, turned the volume up even louder.

girl says "are you fucking kidding me?!?" to which the guy responded by continuing to stare at her and turning the volume up to full blast. she just walked away in a huff and switched cars at the next stop, after which the guy turned the volume back to its original setting.

• Rockadelic said:

i know this guy

• /

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    the worst is people playing shitty games on their phone with the sound full blast

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    in my neighborhood don't even fuck with headphones

This.

At least once a week someone is on my bus listening to their music over their player's speaker. Usually at the back, usually low enough for just the back to really hear it...every now and then, it's on loud but I guess everyone around here is used to it, no one bats an eye.

Worst was two teen guys standing by the mid-back doors on a packed after-school rush hour bus listening to Styles P/Banks 'We Don't Play' full blast and just going IN on Banks' part. I love this song, but cripes! You could cut the tension with a knife.

Best was two girls in their 20s playing Demarco's 'Love My Life' and basically drowning him out with their own vocals. Had folks laughing and smiling.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    down here they call the kids who blast music on their cellphones' speakers "bus DJs." And you guys have no idea about the kind of shit that pours out of those speakers.

the best was once in the NY subway I saw some metal head dude getting really into the thrash metal he was listening to. He was standing over a couple who were sitting with bemused looks on their faces while he was holding onto the rail, eyes shut as tightly as possible, just banging his head as hard as he could while he whispered the lyrics.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I'm don't get what the objection is. It's a genuine health issue - hearing problems in teenagers are up dramatically over the last ten years or so. Earbuds are fucking evil - I would never use them.

Municipal and federal government agencies do campaigns like this all the time - what's so different about this one?.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    willie_fugal said:
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

other day, dude on the subway had his little sony boombox on his lap, blasting a$ap rocky. i was sitting across from him and didn't mind too much???but only because i have a soft spot for rocky.

after a couple stops, a girl in her twenties walked over to guy and asked him politely to turn the volume down because it was way too loud. he just stared right at her, turned the volume up even louder.

girl says "are you fucking kidding me?!?" to which the guy responded by continuing to stare at her and turning the volume up to full blast. she just walked away in a huff and switched cars at the next stop, after which the guy turned the volume back to its original setting.

The joys of public transport.

Years back some teens had plastic whistles which they were blowing loud then laughing their asses off. Then the other dude would try and out-loud and out-blow the first dude etc. Eventually I snatched the whistle off one of them and smashed it under my foot. Gave the other one a look and he shut up.

These days, I'd get stabbed over it, I am pretty sure.

• My radio, believe me, I like it loud.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Yeah, don't listen to that music, but go ahead and have some aspartame and flouride, and we'll be over here figuring out the quickest way to snatch you up and detain you without due process and if you dare to complain about that...DRONE STRIKE!

Makes perfect sense, right?

AndreBreton said:
    My radio, believe me, I like it loud.

Your house, that is what's it's for.

Especially if your neighbourhood is tough and you still sport gold.

willie_fugal said:
    james said:
    batmon said:
    Ban cheap ear-pods.

I SAID D, MUTHAFUCKA!

Horseleech said:
    I'm don't get what the objection is. It's a genuine health issue - hearing problems in teenagers are up dramatically over the last ten years or so. Earbuds are fucking evil - I would never use them.

Municipal and federal government agencies do campaigns like this all the time - what's so different about this one?.

Excuse me, sir, but could you please turn your lonely violin music down?

willie_fugal said:

Not where I thought this story would go. People are usually accommodating if they are approached in a polite manner.

I was on the train in New York about 10 years ago and two women and a baby stroller were blasting some r&b off a radio the size of bread loaf. They were in conversation, totally oblivious to their surroundings....until one of them noticed the daggers a fur coat mom was sending over with her eyes. Gal #1 did that famous I-am-going-to-insult-and-threaten-you-not-by-addressing-you-directly-but-by-telling-my-friend-all-about-it-in-a-loud-enough-voice-for-you-to-hear thing girls do.
    I guess fur coat mom wanted to show she wasn't scared and figured the commuters were on her side so she did the stupidest thing ever- she moved to the door closest to the stroller, not closest to where she already was.
    And she kinda brushed by Agitation Central.
    Now she was being addressed directly by both stroller women. The yelling was louder than the music and it was just ugly until the stop came. Fur coat mom never looked at them or addressed them, which honestly, would have made me boil, too. I think if both parties didn't have kids with them, it would not have been as disturbing. Stop came, furcoat and daughter get off.
    A few more spurts of swears, things calm down and the music is still playing away. This woman who kinda looked like Laura Nyro sitting across from them leans over and says, "Can you please turn that down?" Music gets turned down, "Thank You." And that was that!

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    Although I imagine this is more of a southern phenomena, but how about someone in a restaurant/bus or some other place is listening to or watching a preacher on their phone/radio at an absurd volume? It's one thing to tell some wannabe Radio Raheem to turn down their music but imagine the shitstorm you start when you tell someone the "word of God" is disturbing you...

Of course the answer to any problem is: make a law.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    i think that's a shitstorm i'd be glad to start

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    Although I imagine this is more of a southern phenomena, but how about someone in a restaurant/bus or some other place is listening to or watching a preacher on their phone/radio at an absurd volume? It's one thing to tell some wannabe Radio Raheem to turn down their music but imagine the shitstorm you start when you tell someone the "word of God" is disturbing you...

there's a guy who eats at my local lunch who does that. People just kinda look at him but don't really know what to say, plus he kinda dresses like a pastor.

the evangelicals down here in Brazil are going out of their way trying to shut to down afro-brazilian religious grounds, and they use noise complaints as their main strategy. They do that to some baile funk places too. Meanwhile they hold their own services every friday night at full volume, so the entire block can hear it.

HarveyCanal said:

Real life is just like the Internetz...if there is something you don't like, that annoys, offends or infringes on your little bubble.....BAN THAT SHIT!

b/w

All these years I thought SS was a site about Hip Hop, Rap and all things associated...you know, like music being blasted from Boom Boxes on the streets and defacing public property....I had no idea it was filled with folks like that old dude that used to call the cops on me and my friends when we played the radio in my back yard.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

The article is about a public awareness campaign, which is really of course a false flag event designed to take even more of our rights away.

Thymebomb13 said:
    Rockadelic said:
    Take care of the economy, poverty, unemployment and about a billion other things more important than spending money to tell me my music is too loud for my own good.

It's funny what right-wingers choose to complain about.

Like being the sole voice who complained about people like you and Saba being banned from this very site.

I guess that was kinda funny.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Yeah, don't listen to that music, but go ahead and have some aspartame and flouride, and we'll be over here figuring out the quickest way to snatch you up and detain you without due process and if you dare to complain about that...DRONE STRIKE!

Makes perfect sense, right?

What kind of meds has your therapist prescribed you?

They're baaaack.