Who sings "slow down" on "Slow Down"? (take this to the.... related)

Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
edited March 2013 in Strut Central
Does anyone know where the vocal sample on the Brand Nubian classic is from? (it's not Edie Brickell)

someone said that it was a singer in the studio. I don't believe that.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i thought it was a studio chick

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    I thought it was a nasally studio chick too

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    From Dante Ross in Brian Coleman's Check the Technique book (get it if you don't own it):

"I walked into the studio and he was looping up the Ohio Players drums that got used on "Slow Down" and he had the Edie Brickell shit he wanted to sample, but he got a girl to sing on it instead. That song was all his vision, one hundred percent. And that wasn't an Edie Brickell sample, that's a girl who re-sang it. Her name was Jetta."

He's talking about Sadat X.

The book is a good read.

• Controller_7Controller_7 4,052 Posts
    Sadat doesn't mention the girl but says:

I remember that I had that record (Edie Brickell's "what I am") for that one. I had seen her on some show and I went out and bought the record. We tried to sample it at first and it didn't really go down; the sample wasn't loopin' up right somehow. So then we put it on the back burner, and as I recall that was the last song we finished.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Controller_7 said:
    From Dante Ross in Brian Coleman's Check the Technique book (get it if you don't own it):

"I walked into the studio and he was looping up the Ohio Players drums that got used on "Slow Down" and he had the Edie Brickell shit he wanted to sample, but he got a girl to sing on it instead. That song was all his vision, one hundred percent. And that wasn't an Edie Brickell sample, that's a girl who re-sang it. Her name was Jetta."

He's talking about Sadat X.

The book is a good read.

Ha.... sitting right there on my shelf. Thanks bro!