Anyone have had any run ins or stories about John Lurie?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
Seems like a real interesting cat.

Comments

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Not personally, but i always loved this show.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    His fishing show was one of my favorite TV shows of all time. The episode where him and Willem Defoe go ice fishing and can't catch anything and die is awesome. He has a ton of great stories in the DVD commentary tracks.

b/w

The recent New Yorker article kinda depressed me...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2010/08/16/100816fa_fact_friend?currentPage=all

• I've never had any run-ins with John Lurie but I used to see Richard Edson riding his bike around downtown LA. I guess he lives there.

• fishing with john is great and i love his sense of humor. i also enjoy his visual art and the titles he gives them:

www.johnlurieart.com

• I don't normally like to butt into threads, but felt compelled to in this instance. It's sad that most conversations about John Lurie nowadays inevitably end up referencing that badly-written, factually-inaccurate New Yorker piece.

For more information, including a letter to the New Yorker signed by most of the people that were interviewed, please see here:

http://johnlurie-newyorker.blogspot.com/

Alternatively, straight from the horse's mouth:

Great community, by the way!

• crees said:
    I don't normally like to butt into threads, but felt compelled to in this instance. It's sad that most conversations about John Lurie nowadays inevitably end up referencing that badly-written, factually-inaccurate New Yorker piece.

For more information, including a letter to the New Yorker signed by most of the people that were interviewed, please see here:

Thanks for dropping in with this, I had read the article but was not aware of the follow up.

I always thought John was an interesting character and am glad to hear that the portrayal in that article was bogus.

• Horseleech said:
    crees said:
    I don't normally like to butt into threads, but felt compelled to in this instance. It's sad that most conversations about John Lurie nowadays inevitably end up referencing that badly-written, factually-inaccurate New Yorker piece.

Thanks for dropping in with this, I had read the article but was not aware of the follow up.

I always thought John was an interesting character and am glad to hear that the portrayal in that article was bogus.

Correct on both counts, Horseleech! The portrayal was bogus and damaging, and Lurie is a fascinating individual.

• soupsoup 69 Posts
    Crees thanks for clearing that up. I enjoyed watching that video and am happy his condition has improved a little.

...now I'm in a boat with Dennis Hopper, who I really don't know, who really does look like a murderer and we're drifting off to sea...

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    There's this blog called "Flaming Pablum", it's by a guy who mostly spends time lamenting that all of the cool old bars and record shops in NYC are gone or on the way out. He posted an entry about John Lurie a couple of months ago based in that article. Lurie got wind of it and wrote in to the blog to let his displeasure be know. Click the link to read and make sure to read the comments as well to get Lurie's response:

http://vassifer.blogs.com/alexinnyc/2012/12/lurking-for-lurie.html

• crees said:

:hayek:

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Such fascinating/good reading - thank you for all the links.

Still listen to No Pain for Cakes and was a time I could recite Down By Law.
    I owe a big thanks to Jarmusch's films for introducing first Lurie, then his music, into my life (Screamin Jay Hawkins, too).

• Fishing with John is up on Netflx streaming if anyone is interested seeing the show.

• creescrees 9 Posts
    soup said:
    Crees thanks for clearing that up. I enjoyed watching that video and am happy his condition has improved a little.

...now I'm in a boat with Dennis Hopper, who I really don't know, who really does look like a murderer and we're drifting off to sea...

You're welcome, soup. Loved the Dennis Hopper story!

• creescrees 9 Posts
    herbacios tweed said:
    crees said:

:hayek:

Is this a subliminal message, herbacios tweed?!

It's SStrut-speak for when the subject of discussion (or someone close to it in this case) shows up. We've all been hoping that invoking her name will deliver Salma Hayek to us.

Can you make that happen?

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    He's a doggy.

• creescrees 9 Posts
    bassie said:
    It's SStrut-speak for when the subject of discussion (or someone close to it in this case) shows up. We've all been hoping that invoking her name will deliver Salma Hayek to us.

Thanks for explaining, bassie! I can't make Salma happen, but....

crees said:
    bassie said:

Bring him!!!!!!

• bassie said:
    crees said:
    bassie said:

Bring him!!!!!!

Salma Hayek, love John

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    The tv commercial for Voice Of Chunk changed my life. Or at least the way I answer a telephone.

• james said:
    The tv commercial for Voice Of Chunk changed my life. Or at least the way I answer a telephone.

Changed mine too. All the money - gone.

OK. I am not ashamed to say I am freaking out a bit.

• crees said:
    bassie said:

Thanks Miss Crees for turning them in a nicer direction

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Monty 2.0?

As with all new posters...

Off The Wall or Thriller?
    War or Mandrill?
    In the house - shoes on or off?
    Jameson or El Dorado?
    Top or bottom?
    Shut 'em Down - OG or remix?
    Summer Breeze - Isleys or Main Ingredient?
    Sunny - OG or JBrown /Dee Felice Trio?

• bassie said:
    As with all new posters...

Off The Wall or Thriller?
    War or Mandrill?
    In the house - shoes on or off?
    Jameson or El Dorado?
    Top or bottom?
    Shut 'em Down - OG or remix?
    Sunny - OG or JBrown /Dee Felice Trio?

I have no idea what you are talking about. took me an hour to figure out how to post on here. and i just started a twitter account that also has me boggled - so go easy

• hey mr. lurie, thanks for gracing us with your presence, much respect.

miss bassie is asking which records you prefer and why...just questions we tend to ask new members for no good reason other than tradition.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:

Ramsey Lewis.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    Things like this are what make me love this place. Welcome Mr. Lurie, please stay a while. there's good people here amidst the occasional nonsense.