a Love Surreal - BILAL

SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
enjoyed half of his last record. anybody checking for the new one?

Comments

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    not too crazy about the lead single, but he's always good for album cuts imo.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I dunno bro, thats kinda weak. And his voice sounds like he lost a little.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    i don't like the single but i don't mind that his voice has gotten a little george clintonish

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I got sent the new album for review the other week, and I think it's pretty great. The last one passed me by completely, and despite my efforts I couldn't really get to grips with Love For Sale (although I'd draw the line at it being "unmarketable", as Interscope supposedly described it). This one starts out much as you'd expect, but about halfway through it unexpectedly heads off in a kind of OK Computer-vintage Radiohead direction - pretty intense and rocky, but not hard-rocky. There's a tremendous ballad called Slipping Away which sounds like Prince doing Plastic Ono Band-era Lennon, and that's the standout track for me.

One thing that really jumped out at me was how unusual it's become to actually hear the room in a record, if that doesn't sound like too much of a cliche (this applies to Day's album too). Especially if you don't realise how much you've grown used to the artificial, plasticky ambience you get on so much modern pop, where it seems as if everything's always coming out of Protools and a bank of Macs.