Spacemen 3/Sonic Boom fans....most blatant song rip-off of all time?

The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
edited February 2013 in Strut Central
when I first heard this Spectrum tune, I adored it, thought it was genius melding of pop and fuzzy organ..good tune. Then a few years later I got a chance to tour with Sonic Boom opening for him (Pete Kember..main Spectrum dude) and let him know how much I appreciated that song. Then 16 years later I hear this Evie Sands song. Keep in mind, the songwriting credit on the Spectrum is credited to Kember/Formby (formby was a member of Spectrum). Mind blown and respect for Peter dwindles.

my thread title might be a bit hyperbolic, but gee whiz...

Spectrum

Comments

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    seems like a fairly basic chord progression, no? I feel like I've heard it in other songs, but maybe I'm just thinking of that Spectrum song, which I had heard before but didn't know the name. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rip-off, those bands (Spacemen 3/Spectrum/Spiritualized) always borrowed heavily from that style of music and in this case it's just a few chords, not even a melody. As far as rip-offs go, it's no "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    He put that song on his Spacelines comp a while back so I don't think he's trying to hide that they were inspired by it. I guess you'd expect some sort of songwriting credit for who ever wrote 'i can't let it go', but that doesn't really bother me too much (but I'm not a songwriter).

Regardless, though - the Spectrum tune is a really rad version.

• ppadilha said:
    seems like a fairly basic chord progression, no? I feel like I've heard it in other songs, but maybe I'm just thinking of that Spectrum song, which I had heard before but didn't know the name. I wouldn't go so far as to call it a rip-off, those bands (Spacemen 3/Spectrum/Spiritualized) always borrowed heavily from that style of music and in this case it's just a few chords, not even a melody. As far as rip-offs go, it's no "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?"

really, you just hear a similar chord progression? You dont hear the main keyboard melody(its even at the same tempo for chrissakes), the same changes, the same EVERYTHING except for a slight change in arrangement and different lyrics?

I am amazed at the "no big deal, not really stolen, its ok they claimed the song for themselves and collected royalties on something they CLEARLY didnt write"?

This much more of lift than do ya think Im sexy...did you listen to the evie all the way through?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    What part of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to don't you understand?

• HarveyCanal said:
    What part of taking drugs to make music to take drugs to don't you understand?

whatever. Just don't claim its your song and put your name on it. Over the last 20 years I am realizing what a fucking hack Pete Kember is. When I was 20 and didn't know any better, it was cool...but now, not so much.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    If that's the kinda thing to bother you, then be bothered.

I mean, I think it's an interesting point to identify an original source like that.

But as far as the business behind the music, I don't really care.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I'm not convinced the original melody is that unique to begin with, but I could be wrong. And the fact that those guys are constantly referencing 60s pop in their music means it's no surprise that they lifted parts from older songs, and there are probably lots of other songs by them that could be considered rip-offs of older tunes. It's like people being pissed off at Bob Dylan for "ripping off" older blues and folk musicians.

also, originality is overrated.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    ppadilha said:

also, originality is overrated.

This x 500,000

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,101 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    I'm not convinced the original melody is that unique to begin with, but I could be wrong.

Again, Pete comped the evie sands tune, so I'm pretty sure it's the inspiration for 'how you satisfy me'. BUT, apart from the melody, there lyrics are different and the instrumentation is genius. Hardly hacky IMHO.