buying a laptop...

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
I want to buy a laptop for a friend in Ghana. I don't want it to be a piece of crap but I also can't spend a grand on a new Macbook...

What about "refurbished" macs? Probably a stupid question, I guess buying anything that's not new is just too risky?

Are there any (relatively) sturdy PCs for under $500 you could recommend?

Doesn't have to be too large and it will be used mostly for basic internet use and for (very basic) digital dj use. I'd want to pre-load the damn thing with a ton of soundfiles for him. I'm going to record those on my mac. I'm assuming a new laptop would come with some basic playback software? I'm not looking for any dj software for mixing, just basic playback would do completely. I'm a total dummy. Once he has it he can go and download whatever software he wants to play with. Would I need to get him a dj controller as well?

Please respond like you would to a child, I have only ever used macs and have zero experience with PCs.

Thanks for your time!

Frank

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    My co-workers swear by refurbished macs.

I copped an Air this month after years w/ a Dell.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    batmon said:

I just looked into these and it seems that even if refurbished, you're still looking at a minimum of $800-$900 which is a bit over my limit...

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    I've bought refurbished items from Harmon Kardon, Canon, Dell and Samsung and they all looked brand new in every way and I never had an issue with any of them. If the savings are good, I wouldn't hesitate.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Frank said:
    batmon said:

I just looked into these and it seems that even if refurbished, you're still looking at a minimum of $800-$900 which is a bit over my limit...

I hear ya......so what are u talking - $500 to $700?

Oops - under 500....RIF.

• Samsung were doing a cashback offer over here last year that allowed me to get a fairly well spec'd laptop at a cheaper than usual price.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Yeah used macs can be fine. Some used macs are new enough to have applecare (their warranty service) purchased with them, as well.

If you want to go the new route and are trying to stay under $500, I'd suggest a toshiba laptop. I support a myriad of different brand laptops at work and the Toshibas seem to hold up the best.

My personal toshiba laptop is about 5+ years old at this point and is still going strong.

This deal on amazon seems pretty solid

http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Satellite-C855D-S5230-15-6-Inch-Laptop/dp/B0086OGLI2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1359558892&sr=8-1&keywords=toshiba+laptop+windows+7

Decent sized HD, windows 7, 4gb ram.

If you do go the PC laptop route, I'd suggest staying away from windows8. It's fairly worthless and cumbersome if you don't have a touch screen.

It really depends on what your friend is going to use the laptop for. If it's general computer use, I'd suggest a cheap toshiba.

Let us know if you have any more questions.

EDIT: I noticed what you mentioned he needs the computer for and that toshiba should be fine for that.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Maintenance costs might be a factor - if Apple have the same official stranglehold on repairs/spare parts/memory/upgrades in Ghana as they do elsewhere on the planet it could be a more expensive option for your friend in the long run. I think you could get a really nice refurbished Windows laptop for that price and would be able to get it repaired just about anywhere. Might not have the status or intuitive ease of use of a Mac but maybe more practical and almost certainly a lot more bang for your bucks. Toshibas travel well and are tough as old boots.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Good point, getting a mac repaired in Ghana would be close to impossible and after all they're just too expensive...

JectWon, many thanks for your competent and detailed advice, I actually just jumped on the one you linked and bought it.

Thanks!

Frank

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Frank said:
    Good point, getting a mac repaired in Ghana would be close to impossible and after all they're just too expensive...

JectWon, many thanks for your competent and detailed advice, I actually just jumped on the one you linked and bought it.

Thanks!

Frank

Awesome. The best thing about Amazon is that if, in the off chance, it turns out to be not the right fit...you can return it easily.

I have a feeling it will be able to do exactly what you need.

If you have any questions/issues with set up...PM me.