Jazz

DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

Comments

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Musical intake this week has been boogie and electronica on the drive to/from work, with 8 hrs of hardbop on the headphones in between. I am teaching myself some new computer shit and it's mad boredom without the vybz.

Booker Ervin (Thanks again HORSE for the tip) - Blantantly underrated.
    Miles @ the Blackhawk, SF
    Joshua Redman, @ the VV, "Second Snow" for the piano.

BAT knows the score in a HEADPHONES-ON,VOLUME-UP,D.E.L.E.T.E. dem folls sty-lee.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:

Booker Ervin - Blantantly underrated.

Just bought this:

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    DOR said:

Go man go!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    Butch Morris passed away yesterday. Saw him perform a couple of times, blew me away each time.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    skel said:
    DOR said:

Go man go!

Who knew Jim Carrey was that old?

Ha!
    YES

Dubs

• skel said:
    DOR said:

Go man go!

Not to be nit picky, but that is a pic of Big Jay McNeely a R&B artist. In fact if you have ever seen Bird, the Charlie Parker biopic...Charkie has a tantrum that people are packing the house to hear some guy "play just one note"...it was a dig at folks like Big Jay...

But regardless...great pics!

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts

• finelikewinefinelikewine "ONCE UPON A TIME, I HAD A VINYL." http://www.discogs.com/user/permabulker 1,416 Posts
    Rainer Tr??by posted this yesterday on facebook. Best jazz I heard since a long time.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    The_Hook_Up said:
    skel said:
    DOR said:

Go man go!

Not to be nit picky, but that is a pic of Big Jay McNeely a R&B artist. In fact if you have ever seen Bird, the Charlie Parker biopic...Charkie has a tantrum that people are packing the house to hear some guy "play just one note"...it was a dig at folks like Big Jay...

But regardless...great pics!

Jspr said:
    I like some jazz but not the saxophone solos.

Bros, do you even sax?

:weird:

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    Recent finds ive been digging:

Also, heard the term "Jazz Cigarettes" for the first time the other day.
    (what a squaaare!)

• J i m s t e r said:

Off the top of my head the only Booker Ervin I have is the album with Roy Haynes (the one with "Dorian" on it).

Any other recommendations?

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    neil_something said:
    J i m s t e r said:

Off the top of my head the only Booker Ervin I have is the album with Roy Haynes (the one with "Dorian" on it).

Any other recommendations?

Hard to go wrong with any of his albums, he was still pretty much in his prime when he died.

His Prestige dates, particularly the 'book' series (Space Book, Blues Book etc) are probably the best place to start.

I also like his records on Candid, Savoy and Bethlehem, but those are a bit harder to find and are pricier. For whatever reason I haven't got into his Blue Note or World Pacific records quite as much - I need to revisit.

He's also good as a sideman on records like Roy Haynes - Cracklin' and Horace Parlan - Up And Down.

The Mingus sessions he's on are pretty classic also.

• I should start reading my record sleeves a bit more closely...

Some more Booker Ervin is on Andrew Hill's "Grass Roots" - the title track is exactly the kind of soul/jazz I try to avoid, but these two work:

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Ervin turns out some great solos on Pony Poindexter's Gumbo, though if you don't like soul jazz it might not be your thing. It's pretty rootsy soul jazz though. Not the later 60s pop influence stuff

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Will be spinning this at a Mardi Gras party I'm deejaying on Saturday...

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    roland kirk?