so I'm listening to Illmatic for the first time ever

ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central
up to Memory Lane right now. So far:

Comments

• We're witnessing history here folks. History in the making.

Fart.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    not sure how you feel you have the credibility to comment on anything american without listening to that album

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    looking forward to the thread entitled 'so I'm listening to Nastradamus for the first time ever'

• You just popped out the womb ppadilha?

• DOES IT FEEL LIKE MALCOM X CATCHING THE JUNGLE FEVER?

OR

BEING CAUGHT IN THE STREET WITHOUT A TON OF REEFER?

If you answered no to both then you are well on your way to Nas appreciation.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Vice Magazine explained.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    also: pagers are good things.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Would this be the reissued "box set with vinyl, a gold CD, an ersatz cherry wood case, and a 48-page book"? Oh my.

• Dante said:
    looking forward to the thread entitled 'so I'm listening to Nastradamus for the first time ever'
    Followed by the "Nas fell off" thread then lastly the "This new Nas is ok" thread

• bet you don't really like Life's A Bitch

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    you forgot:

Nas vs Jay-z Who's winning?

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    what can I say, sometimes it takes me a while to get to some things. Maybe some day I'll watch Casablanca.

at any rate, that was a pretty solid 40 minutes of music. I should probably give it another listen, this time paying closer attention to the lyrics. Or should I listen to Enter the Wu-Tang first?

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    what can I say, sometimes it takes me a while to get to some things. Maybe some day I'll watch Casablanca.

at any rate, that was a pretty solid 40 minutes of music. I should probably give it another listen, this time paying closer attention to the lyrics. Or should I listen to Enter the Wu-Tang first?

You might want to get your hands on some weed. And some bacon. That shit will blow your mind.

Then watch Casablanca. It really is a fantastic movie.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    i've tried to watch casablanca like four times and i've fallen asleep every single try. i recognize references to the ending scene, so that's that for me

have you heard ATCQ?

yes, I've heard ATCQ and like them a lot. Same with The Roots (at least their first few albums - haven't heard the more recent stuff), MF DOOM, Madlib, stuff like Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, Antipop Consortium, etc. I'm not oblivious to hip-hop but obviously there are huge holes in my knowledge, and today I was wondering why I had never listened to Illmatic.

• ppadilha said:
    ..........MF DOOM, Madlib, stuff like Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, Antipop Consortium, etc.

this list is about to kickstart your official soulstrut hazing. not by me. but i'm saying.........

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Grandfather said:
    Dante said:
    Followed by the "Nas fell off" thread then lastly the "This new Nas is ok" thread

Ah, the circle of life.

vintageinfants said:
    ppadilha said:
    ..........MF DOOM, Madlib, stuff like Company Flow, Cannibal Ox, Antipop Consortium, etc.

this list is about to kickstart your official soulstrut hazing. not by me. but i'm saying.........

should I have added Aesop Rock to that list?

hey, that just happened to be what was around when I moved to NYC. Before that I lived in suburban Maryland and all the people there ever listened to was ska (of the Vans Warped Tour variety), so anything felt like a step up music-wise.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    It would be interesting to have that perspective tho. To listen to the album for the very first time 20 years on. I mean, we all do when we get put on something. But for such a mainstream record...

I work surrounded by people in their late teens/early 20's and I'm slightly jealous when they talk about an album I've always loved and the shit blows their minds, and I kinda wish I could get back that first listen again. Just the other day some dudes outside my office were going on about Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    yeah man i am guilty of this as well, i cant say i have heard every hiphop album, there are loads that i havent heard and thats what keeps diggin/music fun for me. there are loads of things out there i am just getting to for the first time (no shame) *never heard the of Boogie Boys until i bought their album "Romeo Night" in the early 2000's...

i have only ever listened the Lord Finesse - Funky Technician once, even though i purchased most of his releases in 2012 including the instrumentals to the Funky Technician album, lol

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Better late than never

• Dude, you need to listen to "Live at the BBQ" now. If you don't know where Nas has been, you don't know where Nas is going...

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    you don't know where Nas is going...

I'm guessing a colonoscopy exam, followed by a nap and a 5 p.m. dinner?

Because, you know, he's old.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    DOR said:
    It would be interesting to have that perspective tho. To listen to the album for the very first time 20 years on. I mean, we all do when we get put on something. But for such a mainstream record...

I work surrounded by people in their late teens/early 20's and I'm slightly jealous when they talk about an album I've always loved and the shit blows their minds, and I kinda wish I could get back that first listen again. Just the other day some dudes outside my office were going on about Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.

Agreed

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I don't trust peep's who have listened to everything, for the sake of having listened to everything.

Bizarre Ride II the Pharcyde.

I just started listening to this.

• I just rediscovered Van Full Of Pakistans!!

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    This thread reminds me of this:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/2012/07/05/156327372/youve-never-heard-public-enemys-it-takes-a-nation-of-millions-to-hold-us-back

Prepare to take out your dentures and spew venomous rage!

b/w
    DRAKE!

b/w

We're glad you got around to listening to this. Listen to more classic rap and hopefully you'll experience a joy of new discovery.

I know more about Drake's domestic issues than about his music.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    I just rediscovered Van Full Of Pakistans!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Juan Cocktolstoy said:
    you don't know where Nas is going...

I'm guessing a colonoscopy exam, followed by a nap and a 5 p.m. dinner?

Because, you know, he's old.

With great age comes... uh... with great age... er...

...what was I saying?