Inauguration

DanteDante 371 Posts
edited January 2013 in Strut Central

So what did you, the people, think of it?

Comments

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I saw a tv screen with about ten thousand people standing in idolatory attendance, and wondered about the parallels to be drawn between this, Nuremberg, and raves.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    skel said:
    I saw a tv screen with about ten thousand people standing in idolatory attendance, and wondered about the parallels to be drawn between this, Nuremberg, and raves.

and football games, and masses, and weddings, and concerts, and the congress?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Lost me as soon as he mentioned "the enduring strength of our Constitution"...that he has continually shit on.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Lost me as soon as he mentioned "the enduring strength of our Constitution"...that he has continually shit on.

It's a living, breathing document that we can change whenever we fucking want to.

b/w

Badges, we don't need no steenking badges.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    I started the thread because I thought the speech, the discourse, was pretty interesting. Specially everything about the collectivity, the 'we, the people' reiteration. I'm not super well versed in american politics, but I'm having a hard time thinking of another speech were the country's future and, in fact, founding principles, are interpreted around the collective well-being and ???even if the word wasn't mentioned in the speech, it's like a bad word in liberal politics, i think??? solidarity. I think it's a really interesting shift in the American political and identitary discourse.
    Moments I liked: the bit about honoring the 'generation that built this country' and the future ones. And the 'free market only works if there are rules ensuring competition and equal oportunity" (quoting from memory) part. And, of course, the gay and migrant moments.

"We" only refers to those who:

a. are already on board with Obama's blatant dictatorship,

and b. those few who Obama still hopes to bring into the fold of his dictatorship.

It's quite a mouthy contingent, fully brainwashed by feel-good platitudes...but it's hardly representative of the USA at large.

I would say that most everyday people recognize how full of crap Obama is on the regular. But if you left it to your television, it would seem like we're a country of drooling robots.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Obama's blatant dictatorship,

Please to explain? Why is Obama's government a dictatorship? Is it the first in american history? Clinton, the Bushes, Reagan, etc. weren't dictatorships? Is Merkel's, or Rajoy's, or Sarkozy's, or Kirchner's governments dictatorships in the same sense? Where do Castro and Ch??vez stand on this? Are they dictators? What about Iran or North Korea?

Obama is a dictator because he:

a. wages war against the wishes of Congress.
    b. has over-utilized his power of executive order.
    c. NDAA.
    d. all of the above.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    OK.

Another point: IIRC, the word 'enemy' wasn't used; there was no mention of America's, or freedom, or democracy's enemies. Obama's project wasn't defined explicitly around an enemy, an 'other'. Of course, one might argue that there is one, indeed. Which one?

Obama's enemy is anyone not down with his corporate exploitation program either abroad or at home.

Drone attacks and indefinite detention will be his lasting legacy, not health care.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Obama's enemey is anyone not down with his corporate exploitation program either abroad or at home.

Drone attacks and indefinite detention will be his lasting legacy, not health care.

We can agree on that. Or not. But I wanted this to be a discussion about the Inauguration speech and its implications. Otherwise, it would be just a generic thread about Obama's policies, capitalism, war, or democracy. I have to accept the speech itself isn't getting a lot of interest around here...

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Don't care, didn't watch, but this gif is pretty funny:

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Big up to the Obama team for having DJ MEL play again. That's all.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,235 Posts
    haven't watched the speech, but if it has as much correlation to the next four years as his first inauguration speech had with his first term in office, it's pretty irrelevant. As much as I like his rhetoric, the country is still run by two parties that are barely distinguishable on the political spectrum. The US doesn't need a new president, it needs a full political reboot.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    Rockadelic said:
    HarveyCanal said:

It's a living, breathing document that we can change whenever we fucking want to.

This is 100% true. Especially the part about changing it.

Double.

HarveyCanal said:

I would say that most everyday people recognize how full of crap Obama is on the regular. But if you left it to your television, it would seem like we're a country of drooling robots.

Results of the 2012 election say otherwise. But don't let that get in the way of your "I hate Obama" mantra.

Inauguration was great. A great day for America, IMO.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    ppadilha said:
    haven't watched the speech, but if it has as much correlation to the next four years as his first inauguration speech had with his first term in office, it's pretty irrelevant. As much as I like his rhetoric, the country is still run by two parties that are barely distinguishable on the political spectrum. The US doesn't need a new president, it needs a full political reboot.

i think it'll have much more correlation to the next four years, since he can act, speak and execute without the re-election ghost on him. of course, he has to leave the Democracts well positioned towards 2016, but he can surely be more adventurous. for example, i think a thorough migration reform will be pushed this term.

i do agree with your second bit. but hey, isn't that what representative democracies are supposed to look like after a while? ;)

Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Results of the 2012 election say otherwise. But don't let that get in the way of your "I hate Obama" mantra.

Yes, because it is well known that everyone in America votes in the presidential election.

• Dante said:

So what did you, the people, think of it?

Weak. Not cool, totally lame.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Bon Vivant said:
    HarveyCanal said:

Yes, because it is well known that everyone in America votes in the presidential election.

fair point. but one must ask: if you don't accept election results as a valid indicator or barometer of american political tendencies, how can you say that "most everyday people recognize how full of crap Obama is on the regular"? are you quoting non-election-related polls? also, is 'every other day people' not aware of Obama's full of shitness?

i'm sorry, but your arguments just seem :weaksauce: I have to accept I find Obama a very unique, interesting and supportable politic, but that doesn't make me a fan, or blind, brainless supporter. I just think you're talking from your gut, and your gut only...

Yes, I live here...but you tell me what's what from afar.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    ah, yes. i was expecting that. carry on. i'll try to limit my contributions to this forum to opinions about "things that have happened in mexico city after 1990".

Dante said:
    ah, yes. i was expecting that. carry on. i'll try to limit my contributions to this forum to opinions about "things that have happened in mexico city after 1990".

No, just don't make a thread that poses as you being inquisitive about what others think when you are really only fishing for confirmations of your own pre-determined opinion.

You asked. I said that Obama is a farce. You then asked why. So I told you perfectly valid reasons why. Then like all of Obama's supporters do, you ignore those facts just to fall back on the "he's a unique and interesting" figure bullshit smokescreen that is currently holding our country hostage.

Spare us already.

Obama is the weakest of weak sauce.

Whappen to those election promises?
    Gitmo is still there.

Leader of the free world?

GTFOOHWTBS

This shit is lollable.

Take a fucking check o yoselves

Laughable shit.

I mean, what point in even listening to this crap?

Ever come to fruition?

Um, no.
    Meaningless BULLSHIT

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    dude obama can't get any of his campaign promises done because of republicans bush stuff so he needs 4 more years
    duh

He already had the first term and FAILED

How many more years til he passes?
    Til Gitmo dudes are dead?

Jeebus.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    well if he fails again at everything it will still be the republicans fault, duh
    at that point we will pass a constitutional amendment and he can go

FOUR
    MORE
    YEARS
    !!!!!

• Paging vintageinfants! GIF this thread, please.