Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Im in.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    loved the first
    ant tortured is my favorite kind of soul
    nice progression from clean cut to raw cover art
    thanks for the heads up

• Good track didn't realise they had a new release. I prefer the Dap Dippin' sound though.

• kalakala 3,361 Posts
    pcmr said:
    loved the first
    thanks for the heads up
    word!
    i really loved that first release

she's a nose job away from redudndo's butthole and a 5 afro positive review in big daddy

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I guess it falls upon me to be the nay-sayer here.

For me the key thing about all this new-music-that-bends-over-backwards-to-sound-like-old-music is the quality of the material. If the songs aren't that good, then it becomes just an exercise in retro that begs questions like; why listen to an ersatz version of The Undisputed Truth in preference to the genuine article? I thought Feeling Free was a great record that deserved to be a proper crossover pop hit. This, on the other hand, just sounds like three chords in search of a song. I dunno, maybe the album will be better. I'm not exactly salivating over it on the strength of this.

I feel a similar way about the Lady album that Nicole Wray and Terri Walker have just done with Truth And Soul. They're both fine singers, and it sounds as if everyone involved had fun making it. In particular, I wouldn't begrudge Terri Walker a fuck-almighty hit in the slightest. But although half of it is really good, for the other half I'm sat there trying to figure out what it is I'm supposed to be getting excited about. Comfy nostalgia always sells in times of uncertainty and confusion, I guess.

• minimini 879 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

For me the key thing about all this new-music-that-bends-over-backwards-to-sound-like-old-music is the quality of the material. If the songs aren't that good, then it becomes just an exercise in retro that begs questions like; why listen to an ersatz version of The Undisputed Truth in preference to the genuine article?

I agree with this 100%. Keep Reachin Up was filled with quality material and I'll hope this will too.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    same here
    i am underwhelmed so far
    the first record had great songwriting and some solid tracks

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    i like it & will definitely cop it, already have the new single.

On the real the first album was good but not some extra crazy shit.

I like her enough to see where she and them dudes go with their shit.

• minimini 879 Posts

• roistoroisto 879 Posts
    Was released on Friday. I'm definitely feelin' it.

• love the sound and am a fan of the label

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    Goddamn this stuff is insipid, tepid, turning to tedious.
    Turgid. Instantly forgotten. Not harming anyone, just passing through like so many ersatz soul photons.

Reminds me of a few soul libs, or a cabaret act, a wedding band, a supper club night.

skel said:
    Goddamn this stuff is insipid, tepid, turning to tedious.
    Turgid. Instantly forgotten. Not harming anyone, just passing through like so many ersatz soul photons.

Reminds me of a few soul libs, or a cabaret act, a wedding band, a supper club night.

Copped this today.

Half of the album seems kinds paint by numbers "Retro-Soul" along w/ some above average joints.

I like her but she cant really sing-sing. She doesnt keep my attention all the time.

You Got Me Moon Walking gets the most rewinds.

But yeah, the overall Retro-Thang is getting over churned. The cloned JB sound(drums) is getting Starbux-ish.

Light Years Ahead reminds me of a Curtom joint.

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    I'm at a football match, theyre playing U2 Angel of Harlem and its in the ballpark with this Willis stuff.

• really liked the first album and i was a little disappointed when i heard the snippets of the second but still i purchased it because i am a huge fan of the label and the Soul Investigators.

i must say that the album is on another level, not to be compared with the first one.

the more i listen to it the more i like it. not to be compared with the wannabe retro stuff which is all over today.

the Soul Investigators are really great on this one but you should check the latest two Timmion singles as they are really mindblowing, psychedelic or whatever...just great!