Roc Marciano/Kendrick Lamar/ASAP Rocky/Whateverx2

2»

Comments

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

For My Foes is only four songs but it fucking goes. Pretty much killed everyone whose beat he rapped over (even Frank Ocean, somehow)
    that's definitely what pricked my ears up. He did a skrait-to-youtube 20 min "musical" that has all of them

This was what got my attention too - might have been after you posted the YouTube clip here. Been a fan ever since.

• hahahaha

THIS SHIT

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Another thing about Funerals & Court Dates - I wish Killa Kyleon was putting out more stuff.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    And this reefer's so loud I can't even hear what Yuichi is saying

You just playing yourself. Everything sounds better with reefer.

A JP co-sign deserves a listen though. I'll give those clips a listen..

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    bassie said:
    Another thing about Funerals & Court Dates - I wish Killa Kyleon was putting out more stuff.

You might already have this as it's a year or so old, but I highly recommend it...

• yuichi said:

I don't think you are going to like any of them based on your other posts

• bassie said:

I may haveI asked here before, but whatever happened to Magno? Harvey?

HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

You might already have this as it's a year or so old, but I highly recommend it...

I do, but thanks still. And yes, it's terrific - want more based off that!

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Reynaldo said:
    phongone said:
    Aside from putting words together that rhyme, is he saying anything?
    He is if you're listening:

Used to have to pitch
    Now I print cash with the bic
    The pad is a blank check

Not trying to defend half ass lyrics but I (prepare yourself...a dude, who is whiter than frightened milk, is about to attempt to decipher a rap lyric) think it's a reference to not having to sell narcotics to make money and now makes money MC'ing.

He doesn't have to "pitch" (shitty allusion to slanging dope?) anymore. Now his ability to write lyrics with a "bic" pen is so amazing, it's as if he can print cash via his writtens. The rhyme "pad" is virtually a blank check now, because (again) he has the ability to write amazing rhymes that get him super duper paid.

Not saying it is good...but it isn't completely nonsensical...standard loosely connected and half baked metaphors to express hip-hop cash flow braggadocio, in my book.

EDIT: Fuck, I think you are saying he "IS" making sense. My bad. I'll just leave this worthless post here, since I can't delete it.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    yuichi said:

I don't think you are going to like any of them based on your other posts

I mean, it's not like I dislike everything not rugged, D.I.T.C. sounding shit or Dr.Dre.

Matter of fact, I actually like those Step Brothers clips.

I was also playing that Big Mike "Suthin' serious" a lot, and "Like Father like Son".

DocMcCoy said:
    yuichi said:
    You wanna argue about any of the points I made? Particularly about rap falling the F off, cuz there's no serious talent around?

OK, then, I'll bite.

Above and beyond your dismissal of those dudes apparently being based (n.p.i.) as much on how they're represented in outlets like Pitchfuck/Fader/Complex et al, as how they actually sound or what their records are like, I think what you're saying is absolute bullshit. I've listened to a ton of new rap music this year and, although there's been the usual slough of mediocrity, I think 2012 has been a solid year that has arguably (although I personally wouldn't argue about it at all) produced one instant classic. My three favourite albums this year have come from one crew alone, dudes who were barely on my radar two years ago. Then I look at noz's best-of and Unkut's best-of - two more different aesthetics you'd struggle to find - and see there was plenty of other good stuff that either I didn't pay enough attention to or which slid under my radar completely. The idea that rap "fell off" this year is laughable.

I mean, what do you guys expect from rap now, apart from wanting it to still be the 90s? Is there not enough Cuban Links/The Infamous in that Roc Marciano joint? Do the snares need to be louder? Do you feel there's a qualitative drop-off between stream-of-consciousness non-sequiturs on rap records in 2012 and 1995? Or is it simpler to give in to the nostalgic pull of the latter rather than judge the former on its own merits (which are considerable, imo)?

While we're at it, this whole "yeah, but what is he saying?" thing is kinda rockist, don't you think? Odd as it may seem to say such a thing about rap, but I sometimes think there's too much attention paid to lyrical content and not enough to what's being done with the actual words. Someone like Starlito (who's had four or five top-drawer releases this year, and has charisma out the ass) may not be "saying" anything, but he's a fucking amazing lyricist. If you're fixated on the whole "rap as a means to elevate consciousness >>>>>> rap as anything else" thing, then shit like that might be slipping past you.

There's a huge "Rap You're Liking" thread on here that's like a noticeboard for anything halfway decent of all stripes. I don't know how often you bother clicking on it, but if you're still using Biggie (total one-off), Nas (greatest underachiever in rap history), Jay-Z (now effectively the Bruce Springsteen of rap), Outkast (only half-interested in still being rappers), 50 Cent (not even half-interested) and Eminem (good rapper who makes horrible records) as measures of quality, then consider this - apart from Biggie, all those dudes are either in decline or drifting into irrelevance. I mean, I like the Rolling Stones, and truthfully I'm even interested to hear new stuff by them, but they haven't been any kind of yardstick for a long fucking time now. The party's elsewhere, man.

You make complete sense, and the few clips JP has posted I actually like (Starlito and Don Trip)
    So there's definitely the case of your very casual rap/hip-hop listener such as myself that doesn't dig in deep enough to find the true gems.

"Rap falling off" is a blanket statement but i do wonder, if there will be another rap icon if you will, that makes noise on a global level. Maybe the days of global commercial success like Eminem are over?

But whatever the case, you guys have clarified. Thanks. I'll stfu now.

• Back to A$AP...

Anyone know what the "Suddenly" sample is?? I love that beat!

• Thanks for posting that unkut link Doc, although it seems to pay a lot of attention to the past. I started listening to the noz zip file last week but it didn't agree with me, might try again soon.

For me the best releases have been loop/sample based like Marciano, Ka, Bronson, Mayhem Lauren, Pro Era, Brown/Simpson and favourite producers being Alchemist, Harry Fraud, Tommy Mas and the above rappers who've done some production themselves. There'll be a lot I've missed though, any recommendations or sources of info apart from here is always appreciated.

HarveyCanal said:
    bassie said:

So all I got to do is ask?

Fiend Ft. Killa Kyleon - Play If You Want

• ketanketan Warmly booming riffs 3,097 Posts
    Couldn't find the rap i'm feelin/liking/whateverx2 thraed but I found this one with divided opinions on Roc Marci.  His new album is really really really good.  The beats are on another level and he's still rappin hard.