What is your best survival asset in the case of Doomsday?

downtownrobbrowndowntownrobbrown 446 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Despite my cunning intellect I got one of these:

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    A cape...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I live a pretty simple life as it is
    I can go weeks without talking to anyone
    despite my size, I do OK with heavy lifting and manual labour
    I don't eat meat
    I live by a river (assuming we're not talking a radiated doosmday)

As a side-note, I have a friend who is beyond amazing to me. She is the only person I know who if dropped in the middle of the woods, has all the basic skills to survive, including building, cooking, sewing and extensive knowledge of plants and their uses, etc..

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    One ton of vinyl?

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Frank: So here's the plan. If anything happens we meet outside under the Alice statue, walk to the 59th Street bridge, and try to get to my mom's house in Queens.

Pete: Okay good. We've got a wide skill set for any post-apocalyptic scenario. I'm good at archery and kinda want to die.

Frank: I can use my glasses to start a fire. Toofer can get us through black-, gay-, and nerd-controlled neighbourhoods. Cerie will be some sort of queen in the new society.

Sue: I will do sex with cannibals if needed.

Kenneth: I can talk to animals. Well, not TALK to them, but take commands from them.

• bassie said:

Is that healthy? I heard that not talking for weeks makes your tongue shrink. Also, would that be considered anti-social?

Kindly,
    GT

GatorToof said:
    bassie said:

Is that healthy? I heard that not talking for weeks makes your tongue shrink. Also, would that be considered anti-social?

Kindly,
    GT

Probably not.
    ??
    Probably so.

I can if need be, I don't presently. I can only get away with a few days before I have to go back to work and/or say Thank You to the cashier at the grocery store.

• ive spent my entire life preparing my body for thunderdome

• bassie said:
    GatorToof said:
    bassie said:

Kindly,
    GT

Probably not.
    ??
    Probably so.

I can if need be, I don't presently. I can only get away with a few days before I have to go back to work and/or say Thank You to the cashier at the grocery store.

Can you stick out your tongue and touch your nose?

• don't do it bassie!

you see why I try to not talk to people?

• bassie said:
    you see why I try to not talk to people?

Oh come on, don't be ridiculous.

• My rifle, my knife, and my small tent.

• machete and good health

• I can operate well through pain / discomfort. Good at fighting, and good at figuring out mechanical things. I think the first part would serve me best

• DJ_Enki said:
    Frank: So here's the plan. If anything happens we meet outside under the Alice statue, walk to the 59th Street bridge, and try to get to my mom's house in Queens.

Pete: Okay good. We've got a wide skill set for any post-apocalyptic scenario. I'm good at archery and kinda want to die.

Frank: I can use my glasses to start a fire. Toofer can get us through black-, gay-, and nerd-controlled neighbourhoods. Cerie will be some sort of queen in the new society.

Sue: I will do sex with cannibals if needed.

Kenneth: I can talk to animals. Well, not TALK to them, but take commands from them.

I just watched that episode last night.

That, apparently, is my survival asset.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

ive got one of these batteryless shake flashlights....so i think me and my family will be just fine, thank you.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    I have my legion of rats, is that enough?

ppadilha said:
    I have my legion of rats, is that enough?

I think the question is will there be enough of you for them.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    First and foremost...I'd be fucked. I can't front like I wouldn't be.

If I had to pick something, I'd say...I'm not fat...I've prided myself on my ability to outrun anything that has scared me in my life (bullies, cops, sketchy late night situations)...the flight sense is strong with me. I've also, always been really good at hide n' seek.

I've camped my whole life. Not survivalist camping, but legitimate camping that involves hiking 5-10 miles a day...could definitely do more, if need be.

I've always been a pretty paranoid dude...I can't recall a situation where I blindly walked into danger...I trust no one...I've been like that ever since I was a kid who hung out/skated with older kids...fuck older kids...they scared the shit out of me.

Here is why I'm fucked:

I have a wife that I love and could never abandon in any life or death situation
    I have two full sized dogs that I also don't think I could abandon in a life or death situation
    I have no weapons to speak of
    I haven't been in legitimate combat since highschool
    I have no survival skill knowledge
    I live in Charleston SC which is a series of islands with limited ways onto and off of the islands
    I have no boat and live within a series of Islands
    My house is surrounded by other houses many of said houses are inhabited by gun toting red necks who would relish any rapture/end of world situation
    I'd been way too consumed with making sure my family (Mom, Dad, sisters brothers, nieces, nephews, etc.) was okay and I believe that would get me killed

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    I find it funny that in a situation that is most often characterized as the sun exploding, the poles reversing, and/or aliens invading that people are most concerned about the danger presented by OTHER PEOPLE.

The elements and nuclear cockroaches laying eggs in my sinuses and ear drums scare me more.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    GSH.
    High sperm count.
    Wife that will scare aliens away.

I will sleep like a baby.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    Women's wombs.

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I can take on 19 toddlers iirc.
    In the backpack:
    -Walkman with tapes of Ready to Die, Operation Doomsday, yo! Bumrush the show
    - leatherman
    - thumbed copy of The Road
    - wodka
    - medicine
    - tobacco to trade
    - baby wipes
    - dog food

The rest i will pick up later for free when doomsday has come.

• My sparkling sense of humor.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

ive got one of these batteryless shake flashlights....so i think me and my family will be just fine, thank you.

A few weeks ago, about the time of Sandy, I decided I should put together an emergency survival kit.
    First I went and got my shake flashlight. Dead. Totally dead.

The list of things I need for my survival kit is going to set me back some money, so I will only buy a few things at a time.
    So far I have bought... Nothing.
    Some things, say gauze, are things I think I have in the house, but when I need them I can't find them, or they are so old no one would want to use them.
    So my emergency survival kit skills are pathetic.

Where do I store this kit any way. Most likely scenario for me is major earthquake.
    "Don't worry I have a survival kit in the basement."
    "Great now all we need to do is move our house out of the basement and we will have a survival kit."

I'm fucked.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    A big bag of purple kush.

• phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
    mrmatthew said:

IS THIS A FLESHLIGHT? SO NECESSARY FOR THE ONCOMING ARMAGGEDON.

• I'm a pretty good swimmer, last time I timed myself I swam 2 kilometers in 51 minutes. Plus we have a crank radio and a Swiss army knife.

We're good.

• phongone said:
    mrmatthew said:

IS THIS A FLESHLIGHT? SO NECESSARY FOR THE ONCOMING ARMAGGEDON.

Indeed