Best single off The Chronic

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited December 2012 in Strut Central
Which do you ride for and why?

Comments

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    I saw the video for G Thang and skipped work just to buy The Chronic on the day of release, plus the commercial hyping the release had a lot to do with it too. The only other cd I did that for was Scarface's The Diary.

• ...with the hellafied gangsta lean, getting funky on the mic like a whole bunch of collard green.

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    This is a tough one personally, because Dre Day was what originally caught my ear way back then, so its special. G Thang is kind of like the epochal cut of the era of which everything else would flow; totally massive. But in current day listening Let Me Ride might be the the strongest cut, when taken on its own merits.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Back then, I would've said "Dre Day." Nowadays, though, I favor "Let Me Ride."

• bennyboy said:
    ...with the hellafied gangsta lean, getting funky on the mic like a whole bunch of collard green.

An "old" batch...hence the funk.

• G thang is the whole package for me. The other two are not too shabby, but g thang has all the right elements for me.

Anyone gonna speak up for Fuck wit Dre Day?

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    button said:

Best B-side of the 3. Weakest overall of the 3.

• Double

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts

+ Cube
    + Skeezers=
    ---------------------
    Win

• G thang.
    Damn I got a load of new shit to listen too but this thread has got me heading to the Expedit to (try to) find The Chronic.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    button said:

I still like it more than "G Thang," which, truth be told, is bordering on "93 Til Infinity" territory as a "golden era set" cliche.

And heeeeeeere come the pretzels!

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts
    I'm riding for Dre Day, fuck it. One of the most devastating diss tracks ever.

The one problem I have with Let Me Ride is that its pretty fake as far as lyrical subject matter goes. Really heavy on the gangsta violence shit which is never very believable coming from Dre. The material in G thing is much more down to earth and visceral. I mean, the video starts with Snoop on a ratty couch ironing his laundry for F sake.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    This isn't even a discusssion. Of course it's G Thang.

• I think it is, nevertheless, Nuttin But a G Thang kills and will continue until the end of time. I think this is what you call a Hip-Hop Classic...

HarveyCanal said:
    This isn't even a discusssion.

Well hmm, On the one hand it is ,because as of press time NbGt is only ahead by two votes. Hardly a clear favorite. On the other hand, it is not, because like only 5% of the people who clicked this thread even voted.

Reality voted.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Reality voted.

Ahh, that's who voted for Dre Day.

I already pontificated on this in the Chronic top100 thread, but when G Thang dropped, the rap world momentarily stopped. And for a good 3 months, that song was the end-all be-all.

This is the same thing as discussing the best single from Nirvana's Nevermind. While some may personally prefer something other than Teen Spirit, there's really no substitute.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    I don't disagree with the historical import or the logic, but I prefer Let Me Ride.

And Drain You from Nevermind.

Aint Nuttin But A G Thang is arguably the greatest Hip Hop song. Shit changed the game and R&B.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Can see why this is neck and neck NBGT and Let Me Ride... For me, I prefer Let Me Ride. Pure facemelt with the production and I really just like the beat better. Its Dre, I'm not listening to him for lyrics so to me lyrics aren't worth mentioning. BUT I do see how G Thang was a "bigger" song and did "change the game". So for me best single is Let Me Ride, but by far G Thang had a bigger impact - I consider those factors separately,

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Let Me Ride is the best beat on the whole LP

The P-Funk biting gets stale over time.

• jjfad027 said:
    Let Me Ride is the best beat on the whole LP

[Dre voice]Heeeeeeeelllll.... Naw.

At least 2-3 beats that's killing it

Deeez Nuts is probably my favorite thing on there but Stranded On Death Row, Lyrical Gangbang, and Bitches Ain't Shit all rank at least as high as Let Me Ride

Not to mention G Thing which is the better single to boot

Where were you when... levelz

The organ/synth riff in G Thang is arguably the most iconic sip of music from the whole decade.

Also, anyone have access to the Billboard archive? I'd like to see what the R&B charts looked like one year before Nb"G"t, and also one week before Nb"G"T