mourn, all ye fans of cold wave cassettes made by kids in their garages

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    These blogs saved me a lot of work ripping my own shit and money I would have wasted on curiosities.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    agreed. I guess for checking something out you can always try youtube, but obviously not everything is on there and hey, why isn't the RIAA shutting that whole site down too?

the whole rapidshare thing pretty much crippled what was left of these blogs it seems, until people find a new workaround. I can only really speak for the brazilian music blogs, which were the ones I looked at most often, but I can understand something like Um Que Tenha being shut down since they just posted new music indiscriminately. Pisses me off that they shut down the account of many others that only posted music that the labels have no interest in reissuing and that can only be found on vinyl. To add insult to injury, they've been doing reissues of classic brazilian albums on vinyl here and charging almost the same as you'd pay for an original pressing in the collector market, not even something like Tom Z?? seems worth buying.

the one thing that did come out recently though is a reissue of Krishnanda, which I'm seriously considering, except I don't know about the quality. Some of these reissues have been not so good.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Dude from Flabbergasted Vibes (which doesn't exclusively post Brazilian material) has been positively scathing about the general quality of many recent Brazilian reissues. If he's to be believed then it sounds as if "slapdash" is very much the order of the day.

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    yeah, I bought the reissues of the Chico Science & Na????o Zumbi albums and was disappointed by the quality, not to mention the exorbitant price. It's hard to be sure about who's at fault there since the original albums didn't have the best production, and the band has always talked about how disappointed they were about the mix job that was done on them originally.

they've reissued a bunch of Jorge Ben's albums and those go for about R$80 a pop (about $40 US), while you can find 1st pressings of many of the same albums for R$50-60 in used record shops - stuff like Africa Brasil and Tabua de Esmeralda, but even the '69 one with the psychedelic cover can be found for less than R$100 I think. That's without taking the quality of the reissue into account, but I seriously doubt that they've put the work into making a good pressing. I think the labels are just trying to ride the whole vinyl revival wave here, and they're catering to the bougie types who would never walk into a used record shop in the first place and who normally confuse big price tags with quality.

having said that, Krishnanda isn't exactly in the realm of records I would hope to find on a regular day out and I would probably be without one testicle after buying it, so the reissue is tempting. The fact that his daughter and some big name musicians have been involved in getting it reissued gives me hope that it's not just some money grab by a record label.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    I've had a blog sharing mixes I've made over the years, it doesn't get a lot of visitors and I've barely been on myself for a year or two. I never share full albums and I figure mixes are more likely to encourage people to find new music, possibly buy full lps or delve into discographies.

The other day I got an email, or rather 17 emails, saying that one of my posts had been removed because of a copy write claim. I was expecting it to be one of the mixes of something more populist, maybe a track by one of the larger rock groups, or some hip hop, possibly a old soul song. I was surprise to log in and find it was the mix of newage ambient tracks that had been removed. Go figure.