ever gave up on a artist after meeting them?

knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
edited August 2005 in Strut Central
In other words, have you ever been listening to a particular musician but when you meet them in person (or heard about something they did) the music didnt really do it for you anymore?

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    Yes.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    In other words, have you ever been listening to a particular musician but when you meet them in person (or heard about something they did) the music didnt really do it for you anymore?

OH YES! ONe very famous artist among the strutters.

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts
    do tell

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts

you met Leo Sayer and he didn't make you feel like dancing???

• soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts

you met Cam'ron and he made you feel like yes homo???

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    Steve Martin.

Total asshole. The Jerk is still my FOAT.

• del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

i know i have others but i can't remember them just yet.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    prince paul

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    prince paul

• Rolled over to Mary Washington to see a Mountain Brothers Show. Lost respect for um for standing up the audience and not showing, but I REALLY felt horrible that I was from the DC area when the opening act was on. I won't name names but their crew was shouting curses, strutting the stage, saying "put your f*&%ing middle fingers in the air"(and not to be political or anything even remotely related to intelligent or funny, just to try be be as ganster as possible.) Talking about F-this and f-that, shouting and cursing I couldn't even tell if they were rapping or having a fight. They were even decked out with gear to make themselves look hard. Made me stop wondering whether their crew was worth seeing for sure.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Rolled over to Mary Washington to see a Mountain Brothers Show. Lost respect for um for standing up the audience and not showing, but I REALLY felt horrible that I was from the DC area when the opening act was on. I won't name names but their crew was shouting curses, strutting the stage, saying "put your f*&%ing middle fingers in the air"(and not to be political or anything even remotely related to intelligent or funny, just to try be be as ganster as possible.) Talking about F-this and f-that. They were even decked out with gear to make themselves look hard. Made me stop wondering whether their crew was worth seeing for sure.

The Mountain Brothers opened up for Tribe when they did their last show in philly, and it was pretty wack. They were tossing stuff out into the audience and people were throwing it back. Chops almost got taken out by a 12in. On a positive note I saw them a couple years later at a different show and they were much better.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    not really soul or nothing, but the unicorns (quebec band). my girlfriend opened up for them, and i almost got into a fight with the singer, nick. he said something really inappropriate to her, and when i asked him to repeat it (to me) he informed me that he was "in the band". i think next time i see that guy, i'm not going to say a word, just put my fist in his face style... and trust me, i've got 50lbs on littledood, then i'll cut his hair for him. no joke, i'm really waiting for this.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    not really soul or nothing, but the unicorns (quebec band). my girlfriend opened up for them, and i almost got into a fight with the singer, nick. he said something really inappropriate to her, and when i asked him to repeat it (to me) he informed me that he was "in the band". i think next time i see that guy, i'm not going to say a word, just put my fist in his face style... and trust me, i've got 50lbs on littledood, then i'll cut his hair for him. no joke, i'm really waiting for this.

I opened for those guys as well. They fucking suck.

• reskresk 391 Posts
    something just happened kinda recent.

i do college radio, so i do a lot of interviews (sometimes in person, sometimes via phone) with a lot of artists.

anyways, i was at a show i was supposed to interview an artists (not gonna bother mentioning the name) and the charger for the minidisc recorder was M.I.A. so i had to rescedule the interview to be a phone interview. Anyways at the end of the show, i met with the artists who was selling cd's outside and we talked etc, but some kid was passing buy and the artists was like "yo buy my cd", and the kid was like i already bought one (dude was a fan), and the artists is like "buy some for your friends" (come on now, who just buys cd's for their friends), so the kid just walked away.

The artist was like "yo your looking real broke right now" to the fan for not buying ANOTHER cd....come on now, dude already bought a cd and came to your show. How are you gonna insult your own fan and supporter. this was bullshit and i never called up his promotional person to rescedule the interview. I cant support asshole artists like that.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    not really soul or nothing, but the unicorns[/b] (quebec band).

forget about them dissing your girl, any band with a name like that needs to get punched in the skull.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    (not gonna bother mentioning the name)

Why not thats the best part?

• I met one of the cats in Ugly Duckling (I think it was thier producer) after a show in LA, that fucking kid kept rambling about the most random things... Needless to say, i put thier new CD back on the merch table and kept it moving...

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    (not gonna bother mentioning the name)

Why not thats the best part?

seriously

I met one of the cats in Ugly Duckling (I think it was thier producer) after a show in LA, that fucking kid kept rambling about the most random things... Needless to say, i put thier new CD back on the merch table and kept it moving...

• djdazedjdaze 3,099 Posts
    Jeru

My homie Frank was at one of his shows in NY and was with some folks backstage and walked up to him and said "yo I'm a real big fan, just wanted to say wassup" Jeru looks him up and down (dude's spanish but looks white) and says "you don't look like no fan of mine" Lame part is Frank is fuckin duder than dude, one of the coolest nicest guys I've ever had the privelege of knowing.

I still like (some of) his music though but as a person dude came off like a piece of shit.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

I don't find anything wrong with del's statement.

• noznoz 3,625 Posts
    del tha funkee homosapien

no fair that was gonna be my pick.

but i'd say my giving up on him was also related to the fact that he started making terrible horrible no good records around the same time.

but i'd say my giving up on him was also related to the fact that he started making terrible horrible no good records around the same time.

I met dude and he was cool as fuck. BUt yeah, horrible records man.

• DjArcadianDjArcadian 3,630 Posts
    Steve Martin.
    Total asshole. The Jerk is still my FOAT.

I don't remember how, who or when but someone I knew worked for him or had some kind of connection to him. Said he wouldn't stop hitting on her. I heard he's really aggressive like that.

A buddy of mine used to work at a small airport refueling planes. Dennis Millers private jet used to fly in every once-in-a-while. My buddy says guys a total jerk. No surprise there though.

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts

lump him good m*tt style, woah.

• del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

well this was back when everyone was like "heiro are the freestyle gods!!!", "nobody can fuck with them when it comes to freestyling!!!".
    kinda put that shit into perspective for me. i still like his first two albums although i dont listen to them much presently.

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts

...this reminds me. I was once hanging out with both Del and MC Paul Barman at a show in Philly years back. Del was cool, but Paul was acting really high and mighty. I remember thinking to myself 'who the hell is this guy?'. And I also remember him asking Del: 'sooo um, when are you going to check out my act? um maybe later huh? huh?'. Del: 'yeah dude maybe next time, peace'.

• pasepase 89 Posts

...this reminds me. I was once hanging out with both Del and MC Paul Barman at a show in Philly years back. Del was cool, but Paul was acting really high and mighty. I remember thinking to myself 'who the hell is this guy?'. And I also remember him asking Del: 'sooo um, when are you going to check out my act? um maybe later huh? huh?'. Del: 'yeah dude maybe next time, peace'.

ask dj anna about paul barman, she used to dj for him.

• pasepase 89 Posts
    del tha funkee homosapien, bout ten years ago. he said something about how when he's freestyling on stage that he will just mumble some shit(not even real words) and the audience is too dumb to notice. me and my homie were smoking a blunt with him and his manager while the souls were getting tattooed from my other homie. his manager looked at him like he was fucking crazy.

well this was back when everyone was like "heiro are the freestyle gods!!!", "nobody can fuck with them when it comes to freestyling!!!".
    kinda put that shit into perspective for me. i still like his first two albums although i dont listen to them much presently.

we all know by now that freestyling is pretty much just bullshit rhyming on the mic (mumbling)

see that movie "freestyle" for further proof.

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts

we all know by now that freestyling is pretty much just bullshit rhyming on the mic (mumbling)

see that movie "diploVcosmoSkribblejamCipher" for further proof.