Aurra "Send Your Love" disco related appreciate

BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
I couldn't find the recent thread about disco full lengths that were beginning to end great.
I elect Aurra "Send Your Love", produced in 1981, still has the strong disco vibes and not the synth heavy boogie moves associated with the early eighties. "Forever" on this album is a helluva slow burn wine with your special lady tune.

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I never heard this before. ill check for it.

Ill nominate GQ - TWO for Disco Full Length Joints.....

My boy's mom is in this photo.

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts
    first thing that came to mind was

Also this

• I'm not even a disco fan and even I'll ride for the Edd1e Drennon. That was fa1rly early 1n d1sco's h1story (1975) and not as sl1ck as what would come later.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    I have a lot of time for all that Steve Washington/Slave-associated shit, Aurra included. Got a bunch of their albums & 12"s at home - the 12" of Nasty Disposition is great. In fact, the first three or four Aurra albums used to be an easy catch in the UK.

This is pretty good as well, if something of a one-tracker, although it's heavier on the 80s funk vibe.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    the 12" of Nasty Disposition is great

thats the tune right there. The reggae tune "Kingston Lady" on the album is actually good, they played the reggae card right. Most dance/disco bands could never pull off reggae on their albums, they always tried to add to much "disco" to it, the one on this album is not too shabby.

I recommend Aurra "Such A Feeling" 12" (1983), It is a Part I & Part II two sider, "Part II" being a very great proto-house tune that is way ahead of its time.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    "The members of Aurra was an ever changing thing," Steve Washington wrote in an E-mail to this author in November '97. "Aurra was conceived in order to help Slave's hired personnel that toured on the road. At one time Slave stage personnel grew as large as eighteen, plus a five man road crew. Then as time went on, I hired most of my so called friends to record and tour with Aurra. Aurra actually grew to twelve on stage. Learning from James Brown and George Clinton, I looked for a label to sign my people from New Jersey. You see, Slave was primarily an Ohio connection by me because I was with the Ohio Players. Steve Arrington (lead vocalist in Slave) was actually a member of the first edition of Aurra, along with Charles 'Cedell' Carter, Curt Jones, Buddy Hanks, Starleana Young and Starleana's brothers. Slave were signed with Atlantic Records, so I got Aurra the deal with Salsoul, somewhat like what George Clinton did with signing Parliament and Funkadelic to different labels. Later, two Aurra members became the foundation for Steve Arrington's Hall Of Fame and another two became the foundation for Mtume's band. Another Aurra studio personnel formed the group known as Surface. I also aided in the signings of Young and Company (Starleana Young's brothers, plus Buddy Hankerson), Sabrina Johnston and many others from the New Jersey & Ohio regions."

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    i think we should cut the bullshit and do a Steve Arrington and Freinds appresh post. Im sure theres one done bitd.

Starlena can get it.