debut album by the Lijadu Sisters

FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central

Comments

• I like this alot

• they got a nice sound. i got one of their records, but should spend time hearing more of their catalog.

thanks for the upload frank! i just took a puff and thhis was the perfect tempo

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    This is FANTASTIC. Thanks for the mp3 - that made my day.

• Jeez Louise - this song is all sorts of amazing. Thanks Frank

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    this is great!

frank - did you ever meet them when you lived in nyc? I hear they live in Brooklyn now, in Prospect Heights I think.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I never met them but two other board members did (probably before I ever heard their first record). I tried to get in touch when I moved back to NY in '08 but their Brooklyn info was already outdated at the time and they had moved to Harlem (I think). Then I heard the Knitting Factory was already in touch with them and re-issueing their Afrodisia catalog so I didn't pursue them any further. Never expected I'd ever get hold of a copy of this one.

• it gets better after each listen...and im sober now

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Always liked them.

Glad your African interests are stretching.

• frank this is very nice i want to hear more! my father used to play the Lijadu Sisters for me as a kid, they are so goooood, thanks!

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    AKallDay said:
    frank this is very nice i want to hear more! my father used to play the Lijadu Sisters for me as a kid, they are so goooood, thanks!

You're welcome. I don't want to post up all 4 tracks as I'm trying to get a label interested in re-issuing the album but I should still have Tom's email address so I could mail them to you.

Incredible you got to hear them as a kid! How did your dad get into the Lijadu Sisters? Through their Canada released comp from the late 70s?

• Frank said:
    AKallDay said:
    frank this is very nice i want to hear more! my father used to play the Lijadu Sisters for me as a kid, they are so goooood, thanks!

You're welcome. I don't want to post up all 4 tracks as I'm trying to get a label interested in re-issuing the album but I should still have Tom's email address so I could mail them to you.

Incredible you got to hear them as a kid! How did your dad get into the Lijadu Sisters? Through their Canada released comp from the late 70s?

that would be a treat!
    dad worked in distribution and licensing and all of those comps and reissues from 1984 and on on Shanachie like Lijadu Double Trouble and Soweto Never Sleeps were things that came to our house first.