Who should direct James Brown's bio-pic?

bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
edited November 2012 in Strut Central
" Spike Lee will no longer be the writer and director of the highly anticipated James Brown bio-pic. The famed director was fired by producer Brian Grazer who originally hired Lee for the film shortly after Brown???s death in 2006.

Eddie Murphy, who was cast by Lee to play Brown, once told BlackTree TV that the script was a ???great, great piece.???

However, Glazer decided to fire Lee and hired Tate Taylor. Taylor was the director of the film The Help.

Although the movie was critically-acclaimed, it lacked in story structure and failed to give a complete view of black life during that era. Essentially, it was a black story told from a white person???s point of view.

Before The Help, Tate only directed the lackluster film Pretty Ugly People.

His credentials are not adequate for a film as enormous as James Brown.

Lee has also directed a few duds. However, he???s mostly known for being the man behind American classics such as Do The Right Thing and Malcolm X.

Glazer???s decision to fire Lee and hire Tate proves that Hollywood continues to be a racially divided industry. Black filmmakers will only get an opportunity to tell their stories when wealthy blacks make a point to invest in the business by opening more production studios.
"

http://rollingout.com/entertainment/spike-lee-fired-from-james-brown-movie-as-white-director-takes-over/#.UIgYyUkaYZ4.facebook

Comments

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    Who cares? Biopics are always a let-down. They stink as a rule. And Eddie Murphy as James Brown? How could this not suck? A great thing would be some sort of in-depth 6-8 hour documentary. There's enough archival footage to put together something truly amazing. But yeah, instead it's going to be a 110 minute Eddie Murphy shitflick.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I'm not saying Eddie would rock it. But his part in Dreamgirls was pretty great. I think he would have won an Oscar if he didn't do Norbit as well that season. Academy members probably watched 5 minutes of that stinker and it took all that great work Eddie did in Dreamgirls away.

Tho, maybe thats part of the reason he shouldn't do it. He's already did a great jobs playing a singer.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    What I would be interested in would be the various deep contradictions and the ultimate tragedy of JBs character and history. Like being a republican and also long time close buddy of the Rev. Al Sharpton or being a total control freak and then letting smack run his life while writing arguably the deepest and epic anti drug song of them all. I must admit that have a personal aversion against E. Murphy and his lobotomized brand of humor but I can't see how anybody would even consider him for this.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Writing a screenplay is not about getting everything right, it's about evoking emotion and making a good story using tried and true narrative/plot devices. I think Eddie'd be pretty good as JB, and I don't think casting Don Cheadle or some other black dude who was "more serious" would make it any better a movie. Changing the director to that clown IS a problem though, and makes me think this will now be a catastrophe of a movie.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Since I almost universally hate every biopic I've ever seen...I'm kind of hoping it gets shelved indefinitely.

There is no group of creative minds that can encapsulate the beauty and filth that is required to portray that pioneer's life.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    JectWon said:
    Since I almost universally hate every biopic I've ever seen...I'm kind of hoping it gets shelved indefinitely.

There is no group of creative minds that can encapsulate the beauty and filth that is required to portray that pioneer's life.
    the patsy cline one was ok

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    The_Non said:
    Writing a screenplay is not about getting everything right, it's about evoking emotion and making a good story using tried and true narrative/plot devices...

...and that is exactly why I hate most biopics...because they all seem to be made with that mantra in mind.

Getting everything right should be the ultimate goal. A "biographical motion picture" should absolutely be about getting everything right. Dude's life (like virtually all lives) doesn't fit conveniently into the accepted formula that is the 3 hour boiled down biopic...

I know this is a stogy, cranky and thread jacky point to take, but I'd be way more interested in Ken Burns doing a doc on The James Brown epic.

All that being said...I know it's my own fault for clicking into a biopic thread; knowing full well that I think biopics are entirely unnecessary.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Tyler Perry.
    The story begins with him shining shoes on the steps of Augusta GA's most opulent office building.
    Follows him through reform school and his deep religious conversion.
    Then Please, Please, Please 5 years of struggle and hardship before Try Me hits.
    Epic fights with Syd Nathan (played by Billy Crystal).
    Success.

The movie ends with JB buying the building where he once shined shoes.

Tyler Perry plays a kindly old lady who appears mysteriously whenever James has a moment of doubt.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Eddie Murphy can act. Stright Up, but id rather see him play Rick James than JB.

I cant really think of a Black Actor who comes close to resembling JB and has that gutbucket vibe.

• batmon said:
    I cant really think of a Black Actor who comes close to resembling JB and has that gutbucket vibe.

My feeling on these things is always to find an unknown who's right for the part.

Especially in this case, because people who look like JB/have that gutbucket vibe just don't become famous these days.

But ultimately I agree with Frank. Biopics basically suck and I'm sure this one would just make me mad in the unlikely event that I did go see it.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Derek Luke.

• onetetonetet 1,754 Posts
    I'd be first in line for a Stanley Nelson documentary about James Brown, but I don't know if I could stomach a biopic.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Hype Williams. Shit'd be fire, son! Imagine seeing fisheye-lens footage of James performing. Mind = blown, yo!