KENNY BURRELL

pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
Any general opinions on this jazz great? 81 years old and still playing!

I'm happy with the two Burrell CD's I have, Midnight Blue and a compilation of his Prestige sides. Didn't feel I needed any more. But recently I saw the extremely-common Man At Work in a used store and was so knocked out by the cover, I was tempted to buy it just based on that. Decided not to, but maybe another day when I'm in a better mood...

Anyway, what is the Strut verdict?

Comments

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Maybe his most classic:

Sleeper heat:

Plus a valuable sideman on so many records:

I believe Duke Ellington once described his playing as "impeccable".

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Kenny Burrell had an album on Kapp? Had no idea...

• mrmatthewmrmatthew 1,575 Posts

"Love is the answer" from the above.

And the below for some pleasant Richard Evans steez.

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    Love this understated piece

• classy guitar player. i even dig his jazz-funk stuff for fantasy "feet on the ground" and "up around the corner"

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Never grabbed my attention the way other jazz guitarist have.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    I'm not much of a jazz guitar guy, but I enjoy his work with Sonny Clark and Paul Chambers.

• I ride for KB. I heard Coltrane hated him though, but he was popular and Prestige wanted them to cut an album together. So despite Coltrane's feelings they put one album together, and it was the only time they recorded together.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:
    I ride for KB. I heard Coltrane hated him though, but he was popular and Prestige wanted them to cut an album together. So despite Coltrane's feelings they put one album together, and it was the only time they recorded together.

Exactly what didn't Coltrane like about Burrell?

• tabiratabira 856 Posts
    pickwick33 said:
    SoundOutLoud said:
    I ride for KB. I heard Coltrane hated him though, but he was popular and Prestige wanted them to cut an album together. So despite Coltrane's feelings they put one album together, and it was the only time they recorded together.

Yeah what was that about? Mr Love Supreme, hate? Kenny Burrell??!

intrigued....

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    SoundOutLoud said:

I thought Coltrane's dislike of Burrell was worth googleing, but all I got was links to the cd.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    tabira said:
    pickwick33 said:
    SoundOutLoud said:

Yeah what was that about? Mr Love Supreme, hate? Kenny Burrell??!

intrigued....

Pretty positive this isn't true.

The story I've always heard is that Coltrane was not fond of Jazz guitar, but Burrell was an exception and was glad to record with him.

Also, that isn't the only time they recorded together:

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    one of my favorite jazz guitar players, major influence on my playing, i will still jam along with Midnight Blue & make it a dual guitar album when I feel like it. I love the stuff with Coltrane, because they are both two of my favorite players.
    Hot Bossa

What'd I Say

Comin' Home Baby

Guitar Forms is another good LP
    Midnight Blue is my fave of all though.

• soulcitizen said:

• esskayesskay 221 Posts
    Along with Mundell Lowe he is one of the last of the great jazz guitarists from the 50's still with us. I booked him here in San Diego for a concert maybe 5 years ago & he still has it & beyond. The show was also on my birthday & he played happy birthday for me. He is up the road in LA & is the head of the Jazz Studies Dept. @ UCLA. A good man.