New Donald Fagen Album

fishmongerfunkfishmongerfunk 4,154 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
sounds alright..."weather in my head" is strong as is"miss malene" which seems to be a continuation of "IGY"

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Eh. Fifty-fifty. Maybe.

The stuff I like most on here is the stuff that most harkens back to his old stuff, which is never a good sign, and the Isaac Hayes cover is at best incredibly ill-advised and at worst a fucking embarassment, even if he's just trying to be funny or trying to wink at his reputation or whatever.

I was reflexively on a crazy hunt for the vinyl for a minute, but after a couple actual listens, you know what? I'm kinda cooling on that.

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,899 Posts
    Sounds more dated...

Harkens back... never a good sign

I don't think Don has ever professed to being anything more, stylistically, than a one-trick pony. He was going to try and throw a modern curveball for "Kamakiriad" but he said it was turning out to sound very contrived, so in the end, he let the lyrics tell stories about modern times and wrote and arranged the tunes in the way he liked. If that opiate, just drive the Maybach to the beach, buddy vibe is missing your target, then so be it.

I like a few of these new tunes, "Miss Marlene" and "The Weather In My Head" are the strongest. Jon Herington nails the "Dan" guitar-way so well. Bravo.

Yeah, there are a few "Meh" moments but it's stronger than that "Cat" effort from a while back.

I guess it's like Bob Dylan, or Marmite. You are either glad they are still in business or giving it the finger-crucifix.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    I didn't immediately know who Donald Fagen was... it took me 5 seconds of listening to one track to remmeber he was in Steely Dan.

Meh...

• so, i have given the material a few listens and while its far from the perfection of "nightfly" or even "kamakiriad" there is enough worthwhile material on here. the isaac hayes cover obviously sticks out like a sore thumb, he should have saved that for the dukes of rhythmn if he really felt the need to put that out there...

he's not breaking any new ground (nor has he really in over 30 years) but the man's genius cannot be denied.