The Quiet Lagoon...exotica mix

PlantweedPlantweed 394 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central

Close your eyes and journey to the islands this Christmas; no snow, frozen snot, and rude drivers desperate for last-minute gifts, just swaying palm leaves, a salty breeze, and a tall glass of some sweet concoction...

Forbidden Plateau Vol. 1: The Quiet Lagoon
CDR-010, 2008

1. Alex Keack: And Now She???s Mine
From his great 1963 LP, Surfers Paradise, on budget label Crown.

2. Arthur Lyman: Caravan
For my money Lyman's records could go pound-for-pound with former employer Denny's; this one's from his 1958 Taboo LP.

3. Augie Col??n: Jungle Drums
Another Denny musician, he released the Chant of the Jungle LP on 1959; nice stuff.

4. Carl Stevens: The Call of the Jungle
From his 1965 Mercury LP, African Sounds.

5. Chaino and His African Percussion Safari: The Jungle Chase
Everybody should know and love Chaino; this crazed, sexualized number is from his Jungle Echoes record, a 1959 release on Omega.

6. The Cheltenham Orchestra: Kuianga Kill
There were quite a few Cheltenham Orchestra LPs on the budget label Wyncote (seems to be their catch-all house band); the 1967 cash-in Born Free LP had some strong exotica on it, worth grabbing for cheap.

7. Clyde Borly & His Percussions: Taboo
Creatively bonkers French fave, on Atco, 1966.

8. Custom Records: Death at Sunrise
One of my favorite accidental dicoveries, no artist is listed on the circa 1967 Morricone cash-in, Theme from the Motion Picture The Good, the Bad & the Ugly (on budget label Custom), which features said theme, and then a whole record of top-notch exotica that I'm almost sure was cribbed from somewhere else, just haven't found it yet.

9. Eddie Baxter: Miserlou
Baxter made some moody organ gems, this one from his 1963 LP on Dot, The Fantastic Sounds of Eddie Baxter.

10. Ferrante & Teicher: Adventure in Paradise
Wading through their extensive catalog of thrift muck proves too intimidating for many, but there is the occasional minor treasure, like the decent Pianos in Paradise LP from 1962.

11. The 50 Guitars of Tommy Garrett: Bali Ha???i
From another solid LP I don't think many know about, the dreamy and lush Return to Paradise from 1965.

12. George Poole Orchestra: Moon of Manakoora
From the wonderful Omega release, Hawaiian Enchantment, circa 1961.

13. Hap Palmer: Enter Sunlight
Diggers know Palmer; this one from a cool 1973 kids record, Movin'.

14. The Hawaiian Islanders: Makaha
Wading through Hawaiian records to find exotica can be a chore, but it's worth it to grab goodies like the 1960 LP, Enchantment from Hawaii.

15. Henry Mancini: Facade
Anyone curious about Mancini needs to grab his 1966 soundtrack to Arabesque; before things got too syrupy and stringy, this guy was on such a roll.

16. Irv Cottler: Arab Dance
A 1961 number from his Around the World in Percussion LP, on budget label Somerset.

17. Johnny Richards: Kele Kele
Jazzy exotica from the 1958 Roullette LP, The Rites of Diablo. (Though born in Mexico, he later settled in my old home of Schenectady, NY.)

18. Leo Addeo and His Orchestra: Quiet Village
Nice rendition from 1966, but I grabbed it from his 1971 Hawaii's Greatest Hits LP.

19. Les Baxter: Amazon Falls
From the first exotica LP I ever owned, 1959's Jungle Jazz.

20. Martin Denny: Cobra
Spooky Eastern cut from his 1958 LP, Forbidden Island.
http://www.mediafire.com/?5x30xu1bwbupbkp

Comments

• Bangarang

I was looking for Martin Denny, and sure enough #20. You never let me down. Good to see that Hap Palmer funk in there too. Hugo Montenegro has some heat, examples are the LP Power Moog. And the 45an theme from the godfather.

• link no work

• Just checked it, it works for me.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    "This file has been identified as a copyright protected work and cannot be distributed using MediaFire."

Maybe .zip or .rar the file first.

• Yoiks. It's a zipped file. First time that's ever happened. Weird. I'll have to re-up I guess.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    Plantweed said:

15. Henry Mancini: Facade
    Anyone curious about Mancini needs to grab his 1966 soundtrack to Arabesque; before things got too syrupy and stringy, this guy was on such a roll.

That soundtrack and movie is my shit

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    re up plz. I wanna check this!

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    button said:
    re up plz. I wanna check this!

!!

• I see the playlist.

• Hey guys, I will re-up this into the Real Heads folder tonight. All my subsequent mixes will go there, too. Maybe they won't get reported that way?

• Looking forward to it!

• Yeah I would like to hear this. Thanks.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Plantweed said:
    Hey guys, I will re-up this into the Real Heads folder tonight. All my subsequent mixes will go there, too. Maybe they won't get reported that way?

I'd love a way to peep this. Sounds epic man. Thanks for sharing.

• Re-upped...in the Real Heads folder. Enjoy!

• OligeeOligee 289 Posts
    Newp!