Green Arrow

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
anybody checked this yet?

its very Batman-esque but the OG was anyways.

its not Smallville.

Comments

• I assume you are talking about Arrow?

Reminds of the tone set in the Mike Grell era Green Arrow (gritty, no trick arrows, killing bad guys) that I collected in the late 80s. I think that started with the Longbow Hunters mini-series.

I caught the Speedy reference to his sister and the drug issues she has harkens back to the 70's era Green Arrow when his sidekick was addicted to heroin.

The wife and I are giving it a try (we love genre TV) and haven't really figured out if its staying on our TIVO season pass yet.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Saracenus said:
    I assume you are talking about Arrow?

Reminds of the tone set in the Mike Grell era Green Arrow (gritty, no trick arrows, killing bad guys) that I collected in the late 80s. I think that started with the Longbow Hunters mini-series.

I caught the Speedy reference to his sister and the drug issues she has harkens back to the 70's era Green Arrow when his sidekick was addicted to heroin.

The wife and I are giving it a try (we love genre TV) and haven't really figured out if its staying on our TIVO season pass yet.

Yup. Arrow.

I understand the "no-superhero" vibe/Nolan modernization shit, but I want trick arrows.
    He's used an arrow w/ a recorder/playback, a cable arrow, and one that tapped into computer files (Hacker-Arrow).
    So i have no problem w/ an Electrical Arrow, Freeze Arrow, Heat, Sonic, Glue/Adhesive, Fire, etc......being added to the bunch.
    The Boxing Glove arrow is the Classic that the writers probably wanna steer away from.

The main woman(the ex) called Queen's buddy Merlyn...........

• Yeah, a taser arrow isn't out of the realm of possibility but I agree boxing glove arrow would not fit the mood of the series. I wasn't even thinking of the Christopher Nolan Batman reboot influence (since I automatically go to the source material for reference). I guess the success of The Avengers was too late in the process of Arrow to consider a lighter tone.

Back to the show as it is, two episodes in and the story is starting fall into place. I am just not sure its grabbing me yet. The pacing seems a little slow, probably because there are so many moving elements to introduce and establish. All I can say is, there better be some great payoffs in the later part of the season.

Just a contrast, American Horror Story came right out of the gate at full head of steam. It was breathtaking how much was established and put into play in that single episode.

I know this is personal nick-pick, but one thing that is really bothering me with Arrow is the main character crossing names off his list, I keep hearing the My Name Is Earl theme in my head.

We are going to give it a little room to breath and see if it holds our attention. How is it holding up for you?

Saracenus said:
    Yeah, a taser arrow isn't out of the realm of possibility but I agree boxing glove arrow would not fit the mood of the series. I wasn't even thinking of the Christopher Nolan Batman reboot influence (since I automatically go to the source material for reference). I guess the success of The Avengers was too late in the process of Arrow to consider a lighter tone.

Back to the show as it is, two episodes in and the story is starting fall into place. I am just not sure its grabbing me yet. The pacing seems a little slow, probably because there are so many moving elements to introduce and establish. All I can say is, there better be some great payoffs in the later part of the season.

Just a contrast, American Horror Story came right out of the gate at full head of steam. It was breathtaking how much was established and put into play in that single episode.

I know this is personal nick-pick, but one thing that is really bothering me with Arrow is the main character crossing names off his list, I keep hearing the My Name Is Earl theme in my head.

We are going to give it a little room to breath and see if it holds our attention. How is it holding up for you?

The name crossing is alright but will get predictable.
    Its not mindblowing, but I do see the potential for some very good shit to jump off. We are kinda still in the Begins stage right now.
    I like the Black Ex-Military Bodygurad dude. I know that he's rounding out to become the "Alfred" to Queen. Confidante and sidelines partner.

The father was in The Punisher War-Zone. He was an action oriented actor. I think he's someone to watch. Marrying into the Queen empire.

Cant wait for Season Two w The Flash spinoff in the works.

• really, really enjoying this series.

the ra's al ghul bomb got me giddy.

This my favorite shit on TV right now.

They have the right balance of regular people drama, superhero drama, and straight up action.

That Heroes shit from a couple of years ago was superheroes for people who dont wanna see spandex.
    Smallville was the same. No Tights and No Fights.

Along w/ the Nolan-esque cues, its a great look for DC and Comic Book TV.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Whatchall think about Daredevil, Luke Cage, Iron Fist, and Jessica Jones on teh Netflixes?

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    BATMON, have you watched the SHIELD show

PatrickCrazy said:

Of course, and its not living up to its potential. 6/10

The action is either terrible or nonexistent.

Marvel is on some get that family money shit.

There's enuff to keep my comic head watching but still.

My Whedon fanboy buddy says it take him time to build shit up.

I don't like the lineup. It should be Colson and 5 other May-types. All straight up field agents.
    This teen demographic 90210 or whatever this formula he's using wouldn't make any waves in a comic book.

Arrow is blowing this shit away. and DC historically has been the softer company. 8.5/10

• batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

Arrow is blowing this shit away. and DC historically has been the softer company. 8.5/10

^^^ THIS

i went in expecting a 5/10 show and got a great product, on some jack reacher type shit. binged season one before the start of two and have been glued to the set. as batmon said, it's a perfect mix of drama & action, but it's also got great comic book style pacing. one small villain defeated per episode with a main super villain overshadowing each season.

wish they'd go back to the dibbs/deadshot beef.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    PatrickCrazy said:

^^^ THIS

i went in expecting a 5/10 show and got a great product, on some jack reacher type shit. binged season one before the start of two and have been glued to the set. as batmon said, it's a perfect mix of drama & action, but it's also got great comic book style pacing. one small villain defeated per episode with a main super villain overshadowing each season.

wish they'd go back to the dibbs/deadshot beef.

next week is deadshot vs diggle.

• happy arrow day!

btw. anyone started fucking with Almost Human? i feel like there would be substantial crossover of fans. they're even filmed in the same locations.

vintageinfants said:
    happy arrow day!

btw. anyone started fucking with Almost Human? i feel like there would be substantial crossover of fans. they're even filmed in the same locations.

I missed the opening episode.

Six Million Dollar Man meets RoboCop meets Dolph Lundgren/MarioVanPeeplesJR?

I like the dude that played Judge Dredd and Scotty(New Star Trek), and the brother is gettin his primetime on.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    happy arrow day!

I like the dude that played Judge Dredd and Scotty(New Star Trek), and the brother is gettin his primetime on.

precisely.

I mean, it's not going to win any Emmys, but it's got that snappy, serial format very similar to comic book pacing that makes it really easy to enjoy. it's got fanboy status from JJ Abrams as executive producer, but I imagine he has as much to do with production as I do.

two episodes in and it has promise.

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    happy arrow day!

precisely.

I mean, it's not going to win any Emmys, but it's got that snappy, serial format very similar to comic book pacing that makes it really easy to enjoy. it's got fanboy status from JJ Abrams as executive producer, but I imagine he has as much to do with production as I do.

I might let it slide since im watching Arrow and SHIELD. I dont want to add another show along w/ the NBA.

If I hear great things ill watch it in its entirety down the line.

• batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    happy arrow day!

precisely.

I might let it slide since im watching Arrow and SHIELD. I dont want to add another show along w/ the NBA.

ive been on the couch with a torn achilles (i would like to be known as the white mamba henceforth) and ive been searching endlessly for something to fill the hours. full disclosure: my standards may have dropped. however, this was pretty good and equally enjoyed by wifey, who to be fair reads "graphic novels".

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    vintageinfants said:
    happy arrow day!

precisely.

ive been on the couch with a torn achilles (i would like to be known as the white mamba henceforth) and ive been searching endlessly for something to full the hours. full disclosure: my standards may have dropped. however, this was pretty good and equally enjoyed by wifey, who to be fair reads "graphic novels".

Whats her take on Arrow?

• loves it. she talks about how it has the right amount of relationship drama and not too much fighting for the fairer sex to enjoy. watching hunky homeboy do the salmon climb doesn't hurt either.

the successes of arrow is really the only reason why other comic-y shows are getting a chance from her.

I want them to kill Laurel Lance or have her leave Star(ling) City.

She's the weak link of the cast w/ Ollie's sister Thea right behind her.

I like Sarah/Canary alot.

Barry Allen!

• ppadilhappadilha 2,236 Posts
    apropos of nothing (well, it's TV-R but I don't want to start a new thread), I watched Caprica over the past few weeks. It has its moments, although me dozing off several times left me feeling that there were a lot of plot holes. Also, only near the end of it did I remember there was a new Battlestar Galactica, which I just started watching. I'm only a few episodes in but so far it's good. I watched some of the original series a while back and it was way cheesier than I remembered.

• batmon said:
    Barry Allen!

codename: "the flesh"

i didn't expect him to be so gaunt. is part of the genesis that the accident makes him stronger too?

vintageinfants said:
    batmon said:
    Barry Allen!

codename: "the flesh"

I didn't expect him to be so gaunt. is part of the genesis that the accident makes him stronger too?

They might change the power set to make him more"realistic", but usually he's not super-strong.
    The Speed Force which he taps into, grants him a personal force field that eliminates/decreased friction during super-speed.
    And his metabolism speeds up as well, which was a new spin when Kid Flash took over the helm in the 90's, after Allen died.
    They explored that side effect on the 90's TV show. It was Barry Allen, but w/ Wally West/Kid Flash's metabolism issues.
    His appetite was always great, cause he needed alot of food to replenish his quickly burning calories and shit.

Arrow would have a fighters body and The Flash would have a runner's body.
    I doubt he even wears a costume this soon, or even wear one in this universe.

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    So I was at a loose end and thought I'd give this show a go.. It seems alright. Although I'm only a few episodes in so maybe it gets better, but so far it's a little repetitive. The lead guy is going for that stoic and damaged Batman esq thing, but I'm not sure he's the best actor. It is very comicbook though, although that seems to make some of the characters seem pretty generic.

I've enjoyed what I've seen of Agents of Shield tho. It's pretty popcorny but has it's moments. It's definitely more Joss Whedon than comicbook, plenty of strong female characters and snappy pop culture splattered dialog. And unlike Arrow, the characters that seem a little stereotypical get subverted or their stereotypicalness gets referenced in the show.

ppadilha said:
    Also, only near the end of it did I remember there was a new Battlestar Galactica, which I just started watching. I'm only a few episodes in but so far it's good. I watched some of the original series a while back and it was way cheesier than I remembered.

An old flatmate was mad keen on the Battlestar, I could sit through most of the first season, but after that it just became too painful.

the flash two parter was the shit.

and deathstroke is finally in the fuckin mix!

these cats are doin it.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    not green arrow related but def DC related; any thoughts on the upcoming "gotham" tv show? is it gonna be a gotham central type thing or something else?

• batmon said:
    the flash two parter was the shit.

and deathstroke is finally in the fuckin mix!

these cats are doin it.

every time i've thought this show is going to take a turn towards cheese they manage to steer it back on course.

the barry allen genesis story and subsequent crossover is happening seamlessly and with the perfect amount of human drama.

still a great mix of soap opera, action and character development. A+

SIRUS said:
    not green arrow related but def DC related; any thoughts on the upcoming "gotham" tv show? is it gonna be a gotham central type thing or something else?

i heard it will be a regular cop show with a Lt. gordon......im not sure if it will be a gotham with batman in it.

im a little skeptical....im not too interested in a batman gotham with only reference to him on some teasing shit.

there is a comic already about the GCP that i never read and never heard anything hype about.

at this point arrow is already the gotham show in terms of the influential Nolanesque steez.

what other spin can they do without diluting the shit? id hope the gotham universe is connected to the arrowverse and the upcoming Flash central city universe. Then DC will as usual will be ahead of marvel onthe TV level.

ive given up on the agents of SHIELD. Colson was a cool side character in the marvel films but isnt that cool to anchor a superhero universe espionage show that wants to be family friendly. marvel needs to get off that kids and moms need to like it too shit.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    batmon said:
    Then DC will as usual will be ahead of marvel onthe TV level.

ive given up on the agents of SHIELD. Colson was a cool side character in the marvel films but isnt that cool to anchor a superhero universe espionage show that wants to be family friendly. marvel needs to get off that kids and moms need to like it too shit.

yeah, the show is a disappointment. the disney/abc influence is heavily felt. too much concern with not trying to rock the "film universe" with the tv's continuity, so we get lame villans instead of hydra, scorpio, etc.

i hope that marvel tries out a adult brand with the netflix daredevil/luke cage shows. because right now DC is killing them on the tv and will continue to do so until marvel does a actual superhero tv show.