LONERISM

dayday 9,612 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
Thoughts?

Glad they (he) stuck to the same aesthetic/sound as Innerspeaker and took it out even further. 9/10 for me. I'm a fan.

Comments

• I think its incredible...better than the debut album. By the way, there is going to be a Madlib remix of "Feels Like We Only Go Backwards" that could be interesting.

• Love it. Didn't hit me with the same initial impact that Innerspeaker does, but I feel that after a few listens it'll really sink in. "Apocalypse Dreams" is an incredible song. Probably my favorite on the record. Really glad I found out about this group.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    Didn't hit me with the same initial impact that Innerspeaker does, but I feel that after a few listens it'll really sink in.

Same. First listen was... meh. But I know better than to dismiss it that quickly. Repeated listens have grown on me.
    Gotta love 'Elephant'.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Yes, "Elephant" is awesome, as is "Apocalypse Dreams". Definitely the 2 stand outs. Great band. Still need to cop this on vinyl.

Kindly,
    parallax

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    I was really hoping it wouldn't be an innerspeaker part 2, and it's not. i like that they're messing with more instruments, but part of what i really loved about innerspeaker was the unique melodies, and i'm not hearing as much of that here. like others said though...gotta let it marinate.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Concur. It's growing on me with each listen (currently 8/10). I have no interest in hearing Madlib (or anyone else for that matter) modify this work. This music can stand on it's own; let it.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:
    Love it. Didn't hit me with the same initial impact that Innerspeaker does, but I feel that after a few listens it'll really sink in. "Apocalypse Dreams" is an incredible song. Probably my favorite on the record. Really glad I found out about this group.

completely agree with this. i instantly liked the first album, especially the nuanced drumming. this one didn't feel as memorable as first one with the initial listens and the drums are way compressed sounding now, but it's grown on me. i guess it is a different drummer but one who also plays keys. i think the organ on 'elephant' gives it that extra something that makes it special as well as that weird elephant sounding synth. it makes perfect sense to me that todd rundgren remixed that one. i also agree that "apocalypse dreams" is an incredible song.

really juiced to see them live again. last year's show was one of my highlights for the year.

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    also i jumped yesterday when I realized ESPN was using Elephant for Monday Night Football commercials.

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    I agree it takes some repeated listens to let it sink in. Definite headphone record. Why Won't They Talk to Me and Apocalypse Dreams are the standout tracks on there. My kids were like "how long is this song??" but that's what makes it good. Peaks and valleys and such. Keep On Lying is another one that spirals out into some quality craziness. Me gusta.

• When will the LP be available in the US? I don't see it on eBay or Discogs.

• DustedDon said:
    When will the LP be available in the US? I don't see it on eBay or Discogs.

US release date was yesterday.

http://www.insound.com/Lonerism-Vinyl-2xLP-Tame-Impala/P/INS111484/

• Can someone explain in simpler terms what Edith Head means by "the drums are way compressed"? I am an idiot when it comes to technical music terms. I actually enjoy the sound of the drums on this album.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    bsuwolf said:
    Can someone explain in simpler terms what Edith Head means by "the drums are way compressed"? I am an idiot when it comes to technical music terms. I actually enjoy the sound of the drums on this album.
    compression makes the quiet parts louder and the loud parts quieter. there are different types like limiting or multi-band...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_range_compression

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i've given the lp a few solid listens, and it's growing on me big-time. i would compare the two and their evolution to these:

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,084 Posts
    Damn it...sold out in L.A. already!

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    Cologne too...they should have moved it to a bigger venue! Maybe I will check them out in Amsterdam now. This sucks.

• What am I missing? It just sounds like this to me...

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:
    What am I missing? It just sounds like this to me...

Thank you for posting the album.... I am really enjoying the music. Never heard the music of Tame Impala before however I had heard of them. I must say I was thinking along the same lines as SmallAxeRick... it really sounds like the Beatles with beefed up drums to me. That does not detract from it in any way (in my mind, at least)... I am really enjoying it.. however the Beatles comparison immediately popped into my head upon first listen. Now i'm off to listen to the first album (Innerspeaker??)

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    SmallAxeRick said:

Ahhh dismissive axe ricky, the point is not that it's been done before (what hasn't?), it's that it can still exist in 2012.

Good music is good music. I try to approach things for their own artistic merit. Everyone interprets their influences through a new lens and that's what keeps all this schitt going. Shrugging something off because it sounds like something you know is missing the forest for the trees.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

• day said:
    Thoughts?

Glad they (he) stuck to the same aesthetic/sound as Innerspeaker and took it out even further. 9/10 for me. I'm a fan.

That's the infamous Jardin du Luxembourg on the cover :
    ;
    the perfect spot for Parisian peeps working on their tan coming back from their Southern holidays.

On the entry it's written 'Dogs even on a leash are not so welcome inside'. For those who were wondering...

• skelskel You can't cheat karma 5,033 Posts
    First couple of listens and I'm digging this set.

First listen, yes, Beatles in psych mode comparisons have validity.
    Second time around and the High Llamas come to mind.

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    Really enjoying this too. Highlights on the new record are nothing that has happened so far has been anything we could control and apocalypse dreams. Comparisons to psych beatles are a great compliment for any band imo.

• day said:
    SmallAxeRick said:

Ahhh dismissive axe ricky, the point is not that it's been done before (what hasn't?), it's that it can still exist in 2012.

Good music is good music. I try to approach things for their own artistic merit. Everyone interprets their influences through a new lens and that's what keeps all this schitt going. Shrugging something off because it sounds like something you know is missing the forest for the trees.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you.

I hear ya. I suppose it has to do with me never really getting into the Beatles.

• I liked it. Not as much as their first though - I felt like they sacrificed a bit on the songwriting and concentrated on the sound/aesthetics. Which is cool, and obviously the record sounds great (Id agree that the drums are too compressed though), but I cant find a "Solitude Is Bliss" or "Its not meant to be" quality of songwriting on this LP.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Gave it a listen through while deep in the depths of sickness last week and it went in one ear and out the other without leaving much of an impression. Positive feedback on here will encourage me to give it another go this week though disappointed that he seems to have entirely dropped the good bits of the Stone Roses influence from his song writing.

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    Finally getting around to listening to this... would agree with what most have said... didn't floor me quite like Innerspeaker, but super dope nonetheless. That would have been near impossible to pull off with a follow up release anyway. I'm loving the Stereolab vibe to it too... miss that sound!

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    This is good, is has more of a strung-out stoner vibe to it.
    I played Innerspeaker to death in the car system, I get to play Lonerism on the turntable which will make for a different TI experience.

Which songs are yall dj's playing out? I know Elephant.
    I'm loving "Keep on Lying" grooved the fuck out.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    North America Tour dates just released!!! They are actually coming thru Kentucky in March, fuck yeah. Tickets go on sale this weekend for all dates. Dec. 1st!!

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Hmmm... Never been smitten with the Beatles or Roses.

I suspect my boat will remain unfloated and my goat hella dormant.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    J i m s t e r said:
    Hmmm... Never been smitten with the Beatles or Roses.

I suspect my boat will remain unfloated and my goat hella dormant.

Throw all those inquisitions out the window, its just people trying make a relation to other bands. There is a dose of the beatles vocals in dudes voice. This stuff is spaced out.