Red Bull Stratos

dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
anyone watching this ish?
A scientific mission to 120,000 ft. Jumping from a stratospheric balloon one man will attempt to break the speed of sound in freefall.

Comments

• Called off due to windy conditions after about two minutes.

Seems insane, 120k feet, hope he makes it in one piece if/when it does go ahead

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    ^^ yeah its crazy...that this is even possible..

i have been calling this the most televised "suicide attempt in the world" when i logged into youtube this afternoon about a half hour before they cancelled it, there were like 340 million viewers....

his lil buddy in mission control (joseph kittinger) holds the presious record for the highest jump back in the 50's i believe his record is from 19miles high..

:face_melt:

a whole new level of getting high..

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    Meanwhile, BITD, ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kittinger

Doing it in old skool kit. :shudder:

^^ yeah that dude had a larger set of cojones i think...

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,889 Posts
    I used to work with dude called Rhino with over 5000 jumps. He's been in the world-record-biggest-formation jumps for the last 10 years. We were talking about Kittinger's record and he told me his mate was up for it - deadly serious. His mate was ex-Paras and SAS and had done stuff Rhino would not contemplate.

Anyway, dude was getting sponsorship and his fillings re-done (they can pop at that height) and all that, then had a manic episode whilst flying a light aircraft with his Mrs. He was convinced they were on the ground in fog, and that he was about to be shot, and he jumped out. In reality, they were still going at 20,000 ft. in thick cloud.

His Mrs was a pilot and jumper too, and so had to land the plane. He ended up in a jam jar.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Risingson said:
    Called off due to windy conditions after about two minutes.

Seems insane, 120k feet, hope he makes it in one piece if/when it does go ahead

Rescheduled for Sunday @ 12 PM GMT. I'll be watching.

^^ on sunday..really?

i checked this morning and from what i could tell it was planned again for tomorrow?

• Fair play to the man.....balls of steel

I found it hard to watch when he was sitting out on the edge looking over us at 128,000 feet. Insane. Got up to +750mph on the way down!

• djwaxondjwaxon 411 Posts
    Yeah the bit just before he jumped was intense!

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Just watched some of the helmet camera footage:

Fuck that.

• after watching the prep and launch at home while waiting for the better half to get ready, we went out for lunch at the local spot. i had the hostess change the tv nearest my table from a bad canadian football show to the feed of the ascending balloon. people started whispering and asking servers why they were watching what appeared to be a static shot of a balloon with the sound off. by the time word got around and then final checklist ha started, the place was frenetic. by the time the hatch popped, all the tv's had been switched over to the jump, line cooks were out of the kitchen and into the dining room to watch, people were standing up while serve staff walked around pouring coffee refills..... i swear to god it was dead, DEAD silent by the time dude was on the platform leaning forward. a few mothers gasped, others cheered, cups clinked, cutlery rattled, people clapped..... and then all went back to normal.... perfectly unchanged by what they had just seen.

nice little zeitgeist-y moment. like if coca cola had paid for the moon landing.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Cool.
    He said he didn't feel the speed because there was no reference.
    You can kinda see that in the vid, the earth is just not getting closer.
    Also in the vid it looks like he could land anywhere on daytime earth.

• LoopDreamsLoopDreams 1,195 Posts
    He was almost supersonic 45 sec after jumping, at over 1100 km/hr (684mph).

Damn, if he'd only had a squirrel suite he coulda circumnavigated the globe... next time

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,083 Posts
    It's about damn time there was something in the news recently that made me feel proud to be a part of the human race!

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    DELETE

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    DOR said:

LOL
    Cat gifs, they never get old.

• Felix puts another notch on the White People Are Crazy belt.

• asstroasstro 1,754 Posts