Her Last Day

Juan CocktolstoyJuan Cocktolstoy 216 Posts
edited October 2012 in Strut Central
What would you do if you knew your pet had 24-hours to live? Tomorrow, my 16+ year old domestic short-haired, Guantanamo Bay born cat Dusty is going to be euthanized by PETA. She's not doing to well with digestion and bowel problems, weight loss, and possible dementia. She's been everywhere with me and she's been the most gentle, fun-loving and vocal cat I've ever known. I'm torn in two about doing this and I just wanted a penny for you guys thoughts on this...

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'm sorry.

She sounds like a wonderful cat.

• fejmelbafejmelba 1,139 Posts
    this is the only reason a grown man is allowed to cry.
    sad news man, sorry.

• parallaxparallax no-style-having mf'er 1,266 Posts
    Sad news--sorry to hear it.

My friend was very attached to her cat, whom she'd had since it was a kitten. The cat, Coco, was about 16 as well when he was irreversibly sick. The vet told my friend to give the cat milk and ice cream--treats you ought not give a cat, but ones that cats really enjoy.

Take comfort in the fact that you gave your pet a wonderful life.

• Sorry to hear this man, I have gone through this multiple times (a pancreatitis in one, cancer in another, old age/renal failure in yet another, he was 23 years old). Its never easy emotionally to euthanize pets you have connected with. It really comes down to quality of life. If you are keeping your pet around because it hurts you too much and they are in hospice mode and pain, then its time to let them go.

It is never easy. There is always one more thing your vet can try. But in the end love the time you have had with a valued companion and give him or her a loving send off (we are always in the room holding the pet when the procedure is done).

I am usually a wreck for the next few days after its done.

Peace.

• covecove 1,566 Posts
    aww damn, i'm so sorry.

i once had to bike one of my lil guys to the vet (to be put down) with him in a cage in my hand making awful and sad sounds.
    i had tears rolling down my face the whole way.

I would spoil her with the highest fat-content yogurt money can buy.
    do you ever give her catnip?

• cove said:
    aww damn, i'm so sorry.

i once had to bike one of my lil guys to the vet (to be put down) with him in a cage in my hand making awful and sad sounds.
    i had tears rolling down my face the whole way.

I would spoil her with the highest fat-content yogurt money can buy.
    do you ever give her catnip?

Dusty really never really liked catnip. She was more found of balls of paper than anything else. The fur starts to shake, the tail flails, and off she goes with the paper wad. I just put her to bed here for the last time... the clock is cruel in my life now.

• parallax said:
    Sad news--sorry to hear it.

Take comfort in the fact that you gave your pet a wonderful life.

This. 16 in human years is what ... late 80s, more? It's a horrible decision to have to make, but sounds like it has to be done.

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    damn...

we just adopted a greyhound back in Mar (during my kidney stones) its my first time ever owning a dog as i have asthma and was never allowed to own dogs or any other animals....the wive has always grown up having animals around and heard good things when it goes to greyhounds and allergies. (i wasnt a fan of dogs to begin)

now that we have had her since March i just couldnt think of what we would do if we had to put her done now, i literally went from hater to lover overnight...i think if i had to put her down right now i would be more emotional over the fact that we saved her life to begin with and she probably would have been dead by May 2012 if we didnt adopt her, she was still racing back as late as Feb 2012 and winning...but took a few wide turns (which means your out, in dog racing)...

i have NEVER in my life seen any animal move so fast (havent seen a cheetah in real life, yet...hope not too either) its close to the most amazing thing ever, her acceleration is like what a think a lamborghini would be like vs a pinto...

really sorry that you lost your friend/pet/comrade....

**stop dog racing!

• dj_cityboy said:
    damn...

we just adopted a greyhound back in Mar (during my kidney stones) its my first time ever owning a dog as i have asthma and was never allowed to own dogs or any other animals....the wive has always grown up having animals around and heard good things when it goes to greyhounds and allergies. (i wasnt a fan of dogs to begin)

now that we have had her since March i just couldnt think of what we would do if we had to put her done now, i literally went from hater to lover overnight...i think if i had to put her down right now i would be more emotional over the fact that we saved her life to begin with and she probably would have been dead by May 2012 if we didnt adopt her, she was still racing back as late as Feb 2012 and winning...but took a few wide turns (which means your out, in dog racing)...

i have NEVER in my life seen any animal move so fast (havent seen a cheetah in real life, yet...hope not too either) its close to the most amazing thing ever, her acceleration is like what a think a lamborghini would be like vs a pinto...

really sorry that you lost your friend/pet/comrade....

**stop dog racing!

When we adopted her she was the oldest cat in the clinic in Guantanamo Bay at 5 months old. We really wanted a kitten at that time but the kittens already had issues; ringworm, skin rashes, etc. Dusty was the healthiest one there. She reached out of her cage to get our attention and meowed and meowed like, "Please take me home!!!" They were going to put her down because no one wanted her so we took her. She had a good life, 16+ years, she was 84 in human years.

• Thymebomb13 said:
    All you can really do is make sure you go into the room with her and hold her as she goes. It's an awful moment but it'll be painless for her.

Not for you, but you're doing the right thing for her.

RIP.

You're right it was awful for me and my wife... We just got back and we are emotionally drained and both had to take headache meds from the sudden reaction. We were in there in the room with her and as soon as I had to hold her I broke down. She meowed one last time... I just didn't want to leave her. She was the best cat ever. She never hurt anyone, any other animal (we've had a few) and was very vocal and social. There wasn't a person she didn't like, she gave everyone love, even when my friends brought their bratty kids over and they pulled her tail, hair, and ears. That cat wouldn't scratch or bite like most cats do. She was a gentle soul...

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,459 Posts
    damn...

its a fairly lame response...but thats all i can come up with right now for this....

really sorry man....

• Sorry for your loss. My wife and I have three cats, and they are kind of a pain in the ass but I would be crushed if anything happened to them. Sounds like yours was well loved and you made the most of the time you had with her.