The latest revival of RnB - Sensitive seduction and crotch thrusts

13»

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    fresh

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    fresh

agree, but homeboy driving around in a semi modified Mini isn't RnB. Appears this was filmed in the UK, where more sexier cars are available.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    ost said:
    Big_Chan said:
    This is how we do it here in Seattle. New Choklate Produced by Vitamin D. Town Bizness.....

Heat! Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad she's back with some new material. I still play 'The tea' all the time.

This is good. Makes me happy, makes me want to skate. Makes me want to listen to Skyy!

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Burns said:
    ost said:
    Big_Chan said:
    This is how we do it here in Seattle. New Choklate Produced by Vitamin D. Town Bizness.....

Heat! Thanks for the heads up. I'm glad she's back with some new material. I still play 'The tea' all the time.

This is good. Makes me happy, makes me want to skate. Makes me want to listen to Skyy!

Yeah, I like this too.

Heard a heartwarming story about that Joel Culpepper dude a little earlier. Seems his day job is as a key worker at a nursery school in South-East London (fyi, a "key worker" is a public sector employee considered to provide an essential service) which is attended by the eldest child of a music writer friend of mine. So Joel gives my boy his 5-song demo, and he listens to it, likes it, and plays it to a bunch of people. Amongst the people he plays it to are Ninja Tune, who call Joel in yesterday and, without any further discussion, offer him a four-album deal.

Burns said:
    batmon said:
    fresh

agree, but homeboy driving around in a semi modified Mini isn't RnB. Appears this was filmed in the UK, where more sexier cars are available.

Ill disagree that R&B's car steez is relegated to slick SUV, classic Ameicana, Ninja bikes, Rented sight-seeing helicoptors, Hovercraft stockfootage, Yachts in marinas, candy painted pimpmobiles, or Italian sportscars.

Also didnt u know there was a "stylistic shift" in R&B?
    Taking cues from Prince, dudes arent stuck on customizing motorbikes but Minis are fair game now.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    batmon said:
    Hovercraft stockfootage

ha.
    Well the Mini is not the image dudes are mobbing down my blvd, not even in the hood. Yes suburbia, but my mind garden doesn't want the Cooper in a video, give me the Caprice Classic, Electra 225, 90's Blazer or Legend to up the ante. Once again, its filmed in the UK, schitt and culture is different.

If girl was driving, he was shotgun, I could understand the mini.

Burns said:
    batmon said:
    Hovercraft stockfootage

ha.
    Well the Mini is not the image dudes are mobbing down my blvd, not even in the hood. Yes suburbia, but my mind garden doesn't want the Cooper in a video, give me the Caprice Classic, Electra 225, 90's Blazer or Legend to up the ante. Once again, its filmed in the UK, schitt and culture is different.

Black people only drive certain cars and only wear their baseball caps w/ the stiff brim!!!!

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Burns said:
    batmon said:
    Hovercraft stockfootage

ha.

I don't know--I like the (relative) realism. Dude's in his tiny ride, his girl looks cranky, they stop at the gas station, he steps out in the horrible little Toms shoes with the socks, crankier still, they get to the beach and it's overcast and she's still not sold, etc. Shit ain't always gotta be a Montell Jordan video, you know?

At 00:12, dude's fingers are all the same length, though. That's kinda bugged.

In any case, the tune is niiiiiice. I kept waiting for it to get worse, but it actually gets better. Rare, bro.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    james said:
    it actually gets better

yes, love how it strips down bit by bit at the end.

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    Anyone else still checking for this in 2013? Been a constant trickle of decent stuff coming out, some at the hazy end of the scale and others, not so much.
    A few I have been known to be feeling:

Nice and sleazy:

Throwback rhythm over blues

Washed out with bonus fleetwood action:

Epic pop with a touch of Taylor (right up there for my album of the year so far):

This has been one of my favourite singles of the year. The rest of the tape's good, too. It's interesting how Cassie has gone from being the punchline to a gag about Bad Boy's a&r policy to something of a post-Aaliyah cult figure, although "I make music to numb your brain" is a bit risky as a mission statement, even if I know exactly what she's alluding to.

Also, I know this is a yellow card offence on here, but I like Wiz. He's not, nor is he ever likely to be, the greatest of rappers (Taylor Allderdice is, I feel, kind of underrated, tho), but for me it's obvious why he's such a big star.

Finally, sexist value judgement alert;

No elbows-related uncertainty here, nosirree.

DocMcCoy said:

Real Nice

Junior said:

Nice and sleazy:

Yes.

Birthday Sex (the song) never did it for me, I am really liking what he's doing these days. I mean I still have Late Nights on rotation!

I can look at Cassie read a phone book all day long, but I don't think I could listen to her read it for a whole tape. I like her as a featured guest, she adds a nice breathy element, but I am not convinced of her in a starring role.

edit - Despite what Amber Rose's two year pregnancy says - and skills and wider appeal aside - Wiz is not remotely believably in this song/context.

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    remember cassie's debut performance on 106 & park? yeah.

really like that jeremih song. need a album of this style.

Yes, perhaps it's time for Late Late Nights.

• vintageinfantsvintageinfants 4,537 Posts
    bassie said:
    Junior said:

Nice and sleazy:

Yes.

outstanding.

weeknd c. first tape.

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,784 Posts
    vintageinfants said:
    bassie said:
    Junior said:

Nice and sleazy:

Yes.

outstanding.

Lovely. Soft Cell sample. Shlomo also sampled Art Of Noise for that Rained The Whole Time (or was that just the Jaar remix?).

• batmon said:
    DocMcCoy said:

Real Nice

Wiz kinda has an Andre Nickatina vibe on this one after a couple bars. Works for him and this track.

And the Cassie mixtape is a banger (except the Too Short joint).

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    I'm happy this thread has been revived. Thanks for all the videos posted. I've been liking my RnB a little more hipsterish lately, but can't get enough.

Feel So Real - No One's Looking Out

It's not out yet, so I can't find any videos, but I'm really loving the new Thundercat album. Fantastic RnB / Disco throwback.

Thundercat album is streaming here.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts

• JuniorJunior 4,853 Posts
    The sleazier Jeremih gets, the more I like him. Late Nights is so so good. I was surprised by how decent that Cassie mixtape is but I still find her strangely forgettable. I got to the end of the mixtape and it all dropped straight out of my head. I do need to revisit though,.